Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
Hello all!

i’ve had my 2019 ranger for about a year now. I bought it used with 10,000 miles. It had some kind of aftermarket tow package on it. With a hitch and under the bumper plug. I’m finally ready to start towing with it and I put my boat trailer in and none of the lights work. I trace the wires back and they all seem to go somewhere. I pulled up the fuse diagram from the manual compared it to the fuses under the hood and I noticed that some of the trailer light fuses are missing. Does anyone sell a kit for hooking up relays and fuses and whatever else I need for trailer lights?

thanks!
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So to my understanding your truck came with the under rhe bumper 4 pin plug from the factory as it was set with the bumper pull tow setup only unlike a truck that has the factory tow package. With that said it may not have the fuse's in that location because it does not have the applicable modules for trailer breaks and things. Make sense?

OP
OP
Volkswilliam

Volkswilliam

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Weld Inspector
So to my understanding your truck came with the under rhe bumper 4 pin plug from the factory as it was set with the bumper pull tow setup only unlike a truck that has the factory tow package. With that said it may not have the fuse's in that location because it does not have the applicable modules for trailer breaks and things. Make sense?
Ya I was thinking the same thing so I checked my fuse box. Looks like I’m missing relays 38&39 which are trailer lamp relays. But I can’t figure out what relays to buy…
D3232C8E-3A45-44B8-9EAC-E86122E7B58A.jpeg
BE1D33D8-F76E-4F94-B4F0-8B1D4191908D.jpeg

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
Old post but I thought I'd chime in. Those "missing" relays are also missing on my truck, although all the trailer lights work just fine on mine. I suspect that the trailer lights are fed off of the regular brake light/turn signal relays somehow, and that the fuse box is simply mislabelled. Mine is a '21 and the owner manual also says that those relays are supposed to be present. There don't seem to be connectors inside the fuse box, to actually connect anything, though...so even if I plugged a relay (GU5T-14B192 would be the relay type) into the socket it wouldn't do anything I think.

I'd start by checking your fuse 87 (trailer module), 73 (trailer module), 71, 56, and 63. I will guess 87 or 73 blew, which would, I think, take away power to the whole set of circuits for all the trailer lights. It's also possible that all three of your fuses 71, 56, and 63 blew, if none of the lights on your trailer work (but having them all blow out suggests some big problem with your wiring...)

Probably you've sorted it already, but figured I'd add a note in case any Googlers land here wondering what is up with the missing relays. I found your post because of exactly that -- was troubleshooting a blown fuse, looked at the fuse box diagram, and was confused about the 'missing' relays!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Old post but I thought I'd chime in. Those "missing" relays are also missing on my truck, although all the trailer lights work just fine on mine. I suspect that the trailer lights are fed off of the regular brake light/turn signal relays somehow, and that the fuse box is simply mislabelled. Mine is a '21 and the owner manual also says that those relays are supposed to be present. There don't seem to be connectors inside the fuse box, to actually connect anything, though...so even if I plugged a relay (GU5T-14B192 would be the relay type) into the socket it wouldn't do anything I think.

I'd start by checking your fuse 87 (trailer module), 73 (trailer module), 71, 56, and 63. I will guess 87 or 73 blew, which would, I think, take away power to the whole set of circuits for all the trailer lights. It's also possible that all three of your fuses 71, 56, and 63 blew, if none of the lights on your trailer work (but having them all blow out suggests some big problem with your wiring...)

Probably you've sorted it already, but figured I'd add a note in case any Googlers land here wondering what is up with the missing relays. I found your post because of exactly that -- was troubleshooting a blown fuse, looked at the fuse box diagram, and was confused about the 'missing' relays!
It may depend on whether or not the truck came with factory installed towing package, which adds the harness and connector for the 7-pin hook up.
Sponsored