Tow question

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
When tow-haul button is pressed, does the dash light remain on? The manual seems to indicate it remains on as long as a trailer is connected, but the light on my '19 Ranger only remains on briefly then goes off. The manual also seems to indicate the button has to be held down instead pressed and released.

From Page 153: "To switch on tow mode, press the button on the center console until tow mode is active. The indicator light illuminates in the instrument cluster when the system becomes active."

Down shift braking seems to be more aggressive, but I wonder if my system is working correctly. Additionally, the manual also seems to indicate the system shuts off when the vehicle is turned off. Without a light I don't know for sure if tow-haul is engaged or not.

From Page 153: "To switch off the tow mode feature and return to normal driving mode, press the button on the center console twice. The indicator light turns off when the system turns off. Tow mode also turns off when you power down your vehicle."

If it makes any difference I drive in "sport" mode all the time. Haven't tried "drive" with tow-haul.
Sponsored

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
On my '19 Lariat it's just a button press (no holding) and the light/system remains on until the next ignition cycle-unless the button is pressed again to turn the system off.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
When you hook up a trailer you still have to turn on tow haul mode. I just recently did some Towing while moving the other week and had to press the button to turn it on. When I would cycle the ignition it would already go off by itself and I would have to turn it on again. There are sometimes I will turn the tow haul button on even without a load just because it will sometimes help when going up hills.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
When tow-haul button is pressed, does the dash light remain on? The manual seems to indicate it remains on as long as a trailer is connected, but the light on my '19 Ranger only remains on briefly then goes off. The manual also seems to indicate the button has to be held down instead pressed and released.

From Page 153: "To switch on tow mode, press the button on the center console until tow mode is active. The indicator light illuminates in the instrument cluster when the system becomes active."

Down shift braking seems to be more aggressive, but I wonder if my system is working correctly. Additionally, the manual also seems to indicate the system shuts off when the vehicle is turned off. Without a light I don't know for sure if tow-haul is engaged or not.

From Page 153: "To switch off the tow mode feature and return to normal driving mode, press the button on the center console twice. The indicator light turns off when the system turns off. Tow mode also turns off when you power down your vehicle."

If it makes any difference I drive in "sport" mode all the time. Haven't tried "drive" with tow-haul.
If the "Tow mode" indicator is not on, your truck is not in tow mode.

Don't use "Sport" mode when towing.

OP
OP

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ Silver Surfer, Henry Mac

Thanks for the point about not using sport mode. Will give it a try although sport mode shifting up and down is more aggressive to begin with and is probably somewhat close to tow mode anyway. I do wonder if sway control is disabled when towing in sport mode. However, towing in drive just to have sway enabled is clearly worth using drive instead of sport. Over-all tho I find drive mode to be pretty lethargic compared to sport in day to day driving.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I put mine in tow haul mode and the light stays on after a quick press of the button. It goes out when I shift into sport and then comes back on when I shift back into drive.

OP
OP

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on several suggestions from the group I also tried the tow-haul button in both drive and sport. Clearly, as noted, the light goes out in sport so my assumption is it only works in drive. Silly of me not to have tried that before posting.
Sponsored