Tonneau Covers

Hoff

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey All,

New to the Forum and just bought a 2020 Ranger with the Black Appearance.

I was looking to buy a Folding Hard Tonneau cover and was looking for suggestions.
How is the Tonneau Cover bought directly from ford? Regardless of what company (BAK, EXTANG, ETC) they all appear to be around the same price $1ooo.
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
As linked earlier is a great example of not being afraid of the search function. Tons of info and answers on these here forums and plenty of folks asking or wondering the same things as you as they enjoy owning their trucks..

Ghost Ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Super Crew
Occupation
retired
As linked earlier is a great example of not being afraid of the search function. Tons of info and answers on these here forums and plenty of folks asking or wondering the same things as you as they enjoy owning their trucks..
REALTRUCK great prices just ordered from them today plus discounts dealt wiyh Brandon.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
@Hoff Just a word of advice. If you're looking to completely seal off the bed and you have a spray in liner it won't work without some extra steps. For some unknown reason ford decided to leave two largish holes at the front of the bed just under the side rails and the front bed wall. Every time it rains water makes it down and into these holes then into the bed. Also most of these covers come with a riser plate to bolt to the front wall of the bed so it will be level with the side rails. Do yourself a favor and either get extra weather stripping material or a tube of clear silicone sealant and run a thick bead of it on plate where it meats up to the bed. If you don't it'll leak there as well.

I'm still trying to figure out the best method of plugging the holes under the rails.

OP
OP

Hoff

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Porpoise Hork Thanks for the advice... I was looking to get the Bakflip MX4. I dont believe that comes with the riser plate, just a 3/4 inch weather strip. Which cover do you have?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@Porpoise Hork Thanks for the advice... I was looking to get the Bakflip MX4. I dont believe that comes with the riser plate, just a 3/4 inch weather strip. Which cover do you have?
Hi Joe,

I have the MX4 Revolver. Really like this cover. Had it in the rain a couple times...no water in the bed so for me I am happy. I know the areas to which PH refers and decided that they were a non issue for me. So far, this has proved to be the case. Anyway. The MX4 Revolver has wowed my friends and one with the Ranger has his in his garage waiting for me to install for him, which I will gladly do.
I told the Ranger that tomorrow it gets to go to Tucson to Costco and after shopping it gets to get Costco Gasoline... The Ranger is very exited by this opportunity as it usually sits while the MKX gets to go to Costco. It is carrying this POS Calphalon counter top oven back for a full refund as this made in China POS did not work out of the box.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
My "Ford" (BAKflip G2) hard tonneau came with the filler strip. If your choice doesn't come with that, you can always get some square aluminum bar or tube and use 3M UHB tape to secure it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have the Gator SFX Tri-Fold cover. It runs about $230 and is really well made for the price. The site I ordered mine from also included a weatherstrip for the tailgate. I installed that but with the design of the bed/tailgate I am a little dubious that it's actually sealing it all that well. The cover uses two different clamp types to secure it to the bed. The front clamps are threaded and the rear are the spring loaded quick disconnect type. It installed in about 10 minutes and that includes the riser plate. I didn't have to do any drilling or trimming to install it, but drop in liners will have to be drilled to install the plate. It folds up and locks with clips if you need the bed open when hauling larger items. Other than the two areas I mentioned the cover does a good job at keeping the bed sealed even when going through the car wash.

Capt Jon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The Backflip cover came installed on my truck not sure who installed it dealer or factory. It leaked so bad they changed it under warranty with a new cover. I was there when they swapped them out. Because they are flush mounted, which I liked, they built in drainage channels to carry off the water that they collect. These drain out the front of the bed via drain hoses. A bit rube goldburg. The new cover leaked almost as bad so they replaced it with a completely different brand cover. It leaks a little bit on the left side middle but is tolerable. I also had a serious issue with the locking mechanism. It just uses two plastic latches that catch the track mounted on the sides of the bed. They are a bit flimsy and did not catch sufficiently so that I could push the cover to one side enough that I could open a locked cover with the tail gate up and locked. I keep guns in the back sometimes when going to the range so this was not really acceptable. I finally modified the locking latches so I could get them to catch better. I'm not saying the Backflip is a bad cover, that is just my experience with them. At least the dealer stood behind the warranty and I'm glad I did not have to deal with Backflip directly to get my issues resolved. That would not have been fun.

Forrest Pennington

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Diamondback SD. No leaks. Locks tight. Holds 400# on top. HD holds 3 times as much weight.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
And another pleased Diamond Back owner. In fact, I've got one on my Ranger, have one on order for my wife's FX4

Not cheap, not super slick and sleek, but really well made and very secure. The new smooth version might add a bit of sleekness over the tread plate.
Sponsored