Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I see lots of posts about tonneau/rack combos, but does anyone have a heavy duty tonneau that doubles as a rack? something you can set things on a strap stuff to?

I've been looking at diamondback covers and they seem great, but that's the only thing I can find like that.

anyone know of any other options?
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Retrax makes the One and Pro XR series. They are retractable locking covers. The One is what I have; it's a composite and will hold 250lbs directly strapped to it. The Pro is aluminum and will hold 500lbs. Both have a rail system that will allow Thule, Yakima, Rhino, Billie Bar, and Elevate racks to be attached. Additionally you can add cleats for straps.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I looked at trying to pair a retrax with a softopper or Bestop. I had deemed it would be possible with drilling through the rails before I found my Fastop.

johnboy13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ford Assembly Plant
I see lots of posts about tonneau/rack combos, but does anyone have a heavy duty tonneau that doubles as a rack? something you can set things on a strap stuff to?

I've been looking at diamondback covers and they seem great, but that's the only thing I can find like that.

I bought the retractable aluminum Retrax Pro and I love it, easy to install and lifetime warranty!!

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

Truxedo Sentry CT (aluminum slat type roll-up) is rated for 400 lb, but it doesn't have tie-down cleats. It isn't really intended for that job. It has a fabric surface, so it could end up looking beat-up if you put hard, dirty objects on it regularly, unless you put a blanket under the load or something similar to protect the surface from abrasion. I wouldn't really recommend it for regular use, but it would probably survive carrying light stuff. I have stepped on it once, and it complained a bit, but it didn't collapse. I wouldn't put anything close to 400 lb on it, because that's a static load rating, and just hitting a decent bump could cause a collapse. You could put a dry bag or an inflatable raft on there, but you'd have to improvise a tie-down.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@RoadBoss this is what the RetraxOne XR with the rail and cleats looks like. @Stevedbvik1 has the Elevate rack on his truck and I'll be adding it to mine in addition to the cleats.

PXL_20220515_184820662.MP.jpg

PXL_20220515_184836410.jpg

PXL_20220515_184829907.jpg
That looks really nice, thanks. I was kinda picturing mounting things to it, which wouldn't work with a retractable, but I'm not sure if I'd want to drill into a new expensive cover anyway, so that might actually work.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
That looks really nice, thanks. I was kinda picturing mounting things to it, which wouldn't work with a retractable, but I'm not sure if I'd want to drill into a new expensive cover anyway, so that might actually work.
I'm not sure what you're wanting to mount but the rails would make it possible to build a frame above the cover; I'm going to use slotted angle pieces to build a rack that I can attach my bike mounts to. Should cost $20 from the hardware store to buy the slotted angle and t-slot bolts. The rails were the big attraction to this cover for me because I can fasten all sorts of contraptions without having to drill. I'm going to use extruded aluminum to make a basket mount for a spare tire and gas as well.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm not sure what you're wanting to mount but the rails would make it possible to build a frame above the cover; I'm going to use slotted angle pieces to build a rack that I can attach my bike mounts to. Should cost $20 from the hardware store to buy the slotted angle and t-slot bolts. The rails were the big attraction to this cover for me because I can fasten all sorts of contraptions without having to drill. I'm going to use extruded aluminum to make a basket mount for a spare tire and gas as well.
I've got all sorts of weird ideas going on in my head that would be too hard to explain, but I definitely agree with you about having the rails on the side. I'm even thinking now about doing a short rack over just part of the bed, and leaving the rear open... I dunno. Too many ideas

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
If you do decide to go with a Retrax cover, don't hesitate to reach out. We usually get good prices for forum members and love helping out! The RetraxPro is amazing if you end up going with a cover that you don't need to be stationary like the diamondback.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase