Soft tonneau covers

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
could someone please simplify the decision between a roll up vs folding soft covers?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
So I looked into alot of them, and for the amount of time I'm going to be using it, and the intended purpose (keeping stuff I take camping relatively dirt free and dry) I've decided to go with the Truxedo Truxport for 319 USD shipped. It was that or the Truxedo Edge, but I liked the on bedrail better than in-between bedrail option.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Roll up gives you the most space in your bed without removing it. For maximum space get the over side rail version. For lowest profile get the between bed rail version. I’ve had the low profile roll ups on 4 trucks now and never regretted it. Truxedo LoPro is my pick every time! https://truxedo.com/lopro/2019/ford/ranger

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
could someone please simplify the decision between a roll up vs folding soft covers?
Simple version - Roll up covers are held down with velcro along the sides. Folding covers have a framework that supports the cover and is held in place with latches at each fold point.

Chad Cyr

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Truxedo Pro X15 rollup. It lays super flat and the fabric looks great compared to the typical shiny vinyl.

20190423_070622.jpg

Simple version - Roll up covers are held down with velcro along the sides. Folding covers have a framework that supports the cover and is held in place with latches at each fold point.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
So I looked into alot of them, and for the amount of time I'm going to be using it, and the intended purpose (keeping stuff I take camping relatively dirt free and dry) I've decided to go with the Truxedo Truxport for 319 USD shipped. It was that or the Truxedo Edge, but I liked the on bedrail better than in-between bedrail option.
Did you buy yet?

I had the truxport on my F150. It was nice, but rear latches only lasted about 3 years before they broke. And the front velcro straps are worthless. The one end falls between bed and cab. Have to fish them out if I want to roll up and tie.

I am going with the Gator roll up. Either the Xr or Sr2 premium.

The single trigger is a better design than the one on each end of the truxedo.

Also much better design when rolled up. No velcro. Hook over tab. 100% better design.

Gator is same price, if not a little less than tuxedo. Premium is more but 5 year warranty.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Did you buy yet?

I had the truxport on my F150. It was nice, but rear latches only lasted about 3 years before they broke. And the front velcro straps are worthless. The one end falls between bed and cab. Have to fish them out if I want to roll up and tie.

I am going with the Gator roll up. Either the Xr or Sr2 premium.

The single trigger is a better design than the one on each end of the truxedo.

Also much better design when rolled up. No velcro. Hook over tab. 100% better design.

Gator is same price, if not a little less than tuxedo. Premium is more but 5 year warranty.
No, I have not gotten it yet, I've heard it doesn't wear well, but there is supposed to be a 5 year warranty that they are pretty good at honoring. I'll check the gator roll up for sure as I'd rather not have to bother with warranty, and 800$ for a bed cover is insanity IMO.

Another reason I liked the Truxedo is that it doesn't mount inside the bed rails and make the bed narrower. it mounts on top of them which was something I didn't see a lot of in most covers.

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
I love my Truxedo Pro X15 rollup. It lays super flat and the fabric looks great compared to the typical shiny vinyl.

20190423_070622.jpg
Yes, it does look great, but I wonder about the fabric tendency to accumulate grit over time and how well it will clean. I just picture a truck totally muddied up as you see them after rainy weather... I just sold my 2005 F150, which had an Extang roll up with leather like cover, and after 14 years it was in very good shape and could wash well.

Edit: By the way, I have contacted Extang and unfortunately they have no plans to manufacture roll ups for the Supercab 6' bed.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Roll up gives you the most space in your bed without removing it. For maximum space get the over side rail version. For lowest profile get the between bed rail version. I’ve had the low profile roll ups on 4 trucks now and never regretted it. Truxedo LoPro is my pick every time! https://truxedo.com/lopro/2019/ford/ranger
Truxedo LoPro here also.
Great cover.

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
I have to ask: are there any members with a roll up on a Supercab 6' 1"? My red Lariat Supercab has a dealer arrival date of June 2nd.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I have to ask: are there any members with a roll up on a Supercab 6' 1"? My red Lariat Supercab has a dealer arrival date of June 2nd.
I have one on my SuperCrew (Ford OEM Soft Rollup) which is a version that looks like the Truxedo LoPro. I did have a Soft Rollup Truxedo LoPro on my 2017 Tacoma Access Cab (Supercab equivalent), before I sold it for the Ranger.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
I have one on my SuperCrew (Ford OEM Soft Rollup) which is a version that looks like the Truxedo LoPro. I did have a Soft Rollup Truxedo LoPro on my 2017 Tacoma Access Cab (Supercab equivalent), before I sold it for the Ranger.
I have the Truxedo Deuce 2 on my Supercab, and very happy with it. I had the same cover on my 2010 Frontier and it was still in great shape when I recently sold the truck.

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
I have the Truxedo Deuce 2 on my Supercab, and very happy with it. I had the same cover on my 2010 Frontier and it was still in great shape when I recently sold the truck.
Does it have a few cross ribs to prevent it from sinking ?

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Does it have a few cross ribs to prevent it from sinking ?
Yes it does have cross ribs. I'm at work so can't take a picture of mine, but here is the Truxedo video showing install and details on its construction..

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for TruXedo Lo Pro..Lifetime warranty
Sponsored