Truxedo Tonneau Covers

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In case anyone is interested I asked Truxedo if their Pro X 15 covers for the Ranger were the same as the Ford Premium Soft Roll-Up, Low-Profile, Between Bed Rails Tonneau covers. The descriptions are quite similar so I thought there was a chance.

But no, they are not the same. Similar but not the same. The Truxedo uses their CT Fabric which is "Matte Black Fabric - Extremely durable, superior-grade woven fabric provides a stylish matte-black appearance. Inherent dirt resistant characteristics of the fabric help it stay cleaner for longer."

According to Truxedo, the Ford Parts use Vinyl.

So, for my 5' bed...
Truxedo Pro X15 #1431001 MSRP $539 uses the premium fabric and is $10 cheaper than the Ford Part VKB3Z-99501A42-L
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've finally managed to install the Truxedo Tonneau cover. There were a couple of issues related to my spray in bedliner......threaded holes were clogged with spray and needed a tap run thru them (8mm x 1.25). Secondly, the brackets supplied by Truxedo would have worked perfectly for an unsprayed bed. But trying to force them into place was not the answer as it would have created problems that don't need creating. So, two choices, scrap away some of the bedliner or modify the brackets. I almost always and invariably chose the more difficult method (damn the anal engineering instincts) so I modified the brackets. Next steps were confusing as there were discrepancies in the instructions. I had to call Truxedo and was put on hold while the [quite helpful] phone rep talked to Engineering. My instincts were correct so at least I didn't have to order another bulkhead seal but their directions are in some serious need of overhaul and clarification. Enough of that, the end results are what matters and I really like the fit and finished look. The new material is supposed to NOT be a dirt magnet so we'll see on that. I remain doubtful that this cover is completely weatherproof as well. There are several large openings on either side in the front of the box and Truxedo supplies a foam block to cover those holes....and then there are those pesky tailgate openings....

IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0694.jpg

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Ford Premium Soft Roll-Up, Low-Profile, Between Bed Rails Tonneau cover. Looks great and fits tight. Can't tell any difference between this and a Truxedo LoPro Soft Rollup cover! I had those on 2 old Rangers and a 2017 Taco and the material is exactly the same. The only difference I noticed was the FORD Logo on the top of the Soft Cover. Nice and tight, and worth every penny I spent on it!

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/lariat-in-the-house.12/

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
I've finally managed to install the Truxedo Tonneau cover. Next steps were confusing as there were discrepancies in the instructions. I had to call Truxedo and was put on hold while the [quite helpful] phone rep talked to Engineering. My instincts were correct so at least I didn't have to order another bulkhead seal but their directions are in some serious need of overhaul and clarification.
So I just installed the same cover. Were you able to eliminate the gap between the cover and the front of the bed? It seems like that is far from a weather proof seal. The rubber gasket is basically floating. I have drop in liner, but I would guess the gap would be worse with spray in.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Excuse the crazy heavy pollen, it's full on spring here. But this is a close up of the front gasket.

20190312_181805.jpg

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So I just installed the same cover. Were you able to eliminate the gap between the cover and the front of the bed? It seems like that is far from a weather proof seal. The rubber gasket is basically floating. I have drop in liner, but I would guess the gap would be worse with spray in.
Did you install the auxiliary rail to raise the height of your bulkhead? That rail needs to be adjusted so that it is even with the top of the bed rails. Then the bulkhead seal gets applied to the top of that auxiliary rail. The instructions were confusing and I was basically told to ignore most of them in the owners manual and use the ones that came with their associated hardware. But the instructions never mentioned the height of that auxiliary rail nor did they mention putting the bulkhead seal on it, and not on the vehicle bulkhead.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Did you install the auxiliary rail to raise the height of your bulkhead? That rail needs to be adjusted so that it is even with the top of the bed rails. Then the bulkhead seal gets applied to the top of that auxiliary rail. The instructions were confusing and I was basically told to ignore most of them in the owners manual and use the ones that came with their associated hardware. But the instructions never mentioned the height of that auxiliary rail nor did they mention putting the bulkhead seal on it, and not on the vehicle bulkhead.
Humm. ... I am just realizing your cover is a different model. I have the Sentry CT. I did not get an auxiliary rail, not sure if there should be one for that cover, but it sounds like something like that is needed. I'll call Truxedo tomorrow, given how tight the rest of the cover fits, I must be missing sonething.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Humm. ... I am just realizing your cover is a different model. I have the Sentry CT. I did not get an auxiliary rail, not sure if there should be one for that cover, but it sounds like something like that is needed. I'll call Truxedo tomorrow, given how tight the rest of the cover fits, I must be missing sonething.
They seem knowledgable and helpful....good luck!

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Just to update the group, the Sentry CT did need an auxilary rail. They shipped it out FedEx along with 4 support brackets that are custom to the Ranger. I liked it before, but now it is super solid and appears to be reasonably water proof, very happy with the cover.

SSSINC

First Name
RichardS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PORSCHE MACAN GTS / 2018 VOLVO XC60 / 2016 VOLVO XC90
I've finally managed to install the Truxedo Tonneau cover. There were a couple of issues related to my spray in bedliner......threaded holes were clogged with spray and needed a tap run thru them (8mm x 1.25). Secondly, the brackets supplied by Truxedo would have worked perfectly for an unsprayed bed. But trying to force them into place was not the answer as it would have created problems that don't need creating. So, two choices, scrap away some of the bedliner or modify the brackets. I almost always and invariably chose the more difficult method (damn the anal engineering instincts) so I modified the brackets. Next steps were confusing as there were discrepancies in the instructions. I had to call Truxedo and was put on hold while the [quite helpful] phone rep talked to Engineering. My instincts were correct so at least I didn't have to order another bulkhead seal but their directions are in some serious need of overhaul and clarification. Enough of that, the end results are what matters and I really like the fit and finished look. The new material is supposed to NOT be a dirt magnet so we'll see on that. I remain doubtful that this cover is completely weatherproof as well. There are several large openings on either side in the front of the box and Truxedo supplies a foam block to cover those holes....and then there are those pesky tailgate openings....

IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0694.jpg
I purchased a PRO X15 as well. Awaiting delivery of my truck this week. Have factory installed Spray in liner but I am unsure of why you need to retap the holes, the install shows only using clamps that thread together (no indication that they thread into the bed?

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I purchased a PRO X15 as well. Awaiting delivery of my truck this week. Have factory installed Spray in liner but I am unsure of why you need to retap the holes, the install shows only using clamps that thread together (no indication that they thread into the bed?
There are brackets that get installed on both ends of the bed rail - they have an instruction sheet here. The front brackets bolt in using 8 mm x 1.25 bolts. The instructions were (are still?) confusing with the bulkhead seal. Do NOT install it on the vehicle bulkhead. It gets installed on the Auxiliary bulkhead rail they supplied with the cover. And the top of that rail should be even with the top of the bed rails.

SSSINC

First Name
RichardS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PORSCHE MACAN GTS / 2018 VOLVO XC60 / 2016 VOLVO XC90
There are brackets that get installed on both ends of the bed rail - they have an instruction sheet here. The front brackets bolt in using 8 mm x 1.25 bolts. The instructions were (are still?) confusing with the bulkhead seal. Do NOT install it on the vehicle bulkhead. It gets installed on the Auxiliary bulkhead rail they supplied with the cover. And the top of that rail should be even with the top of the bed rails.
Was your spray in liner aftermarket? Besides cleaning out the threads, what did you need to change on the bracket?

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the Ford Spray in liner.

As far as I could tell, the brackets are designed to fit underneath the bed rail without pushing the sides out. When I tried installing mine they slightly pushed the sides out (due to the extra thickness of the bed liner spray). I ended up taking some material off of the brackets on the tailgate end (on the side that bolts to the truck) and I ended up re-bending the brackets near the cab to alleviate the problem.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ford Spray in liner.

As far as I could tell, the brackets are designed to fit underneath the bed rail without pushing the sides out. When I tried installing mine they slightly pushed the sides out (due to the extra thickness of the bed liner spray). I ended up taking some material off of the brackets on the tailgate end (on the side that bolts to the truck) and I ended up re-bending the brackets near the cab to alleviate the problem.
Yeah, those brackets just help support the Side rails with the velcro and are a PITA to install if they are bent as I discovered! Once I figured out exactly where they were intended to go and bent the parts that were extending too far out from under the Bed caps it all worked fine!
Sponsored