To trade my Colorado zr2 or not?

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Maybe the wrong forum to ask for help on why I should keep my zr2. I'm in love with the ranger, I've had 4 rangers in my past and miss them dearly. The thought of being in a new one sounds great. The wife will disapprove but she'll get over it.

I think the only thing I would miss would be the front locker from my zr2.

I fairly certain the aftermarket will jump on the ranger and have part available soon. Whereas my zr2 there are not many. I'm one of the few that isn't impressed with the dssv shocks and have been waiting for something better to come along but I'm getting tired of waiting.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome! Right now there isn’t really an equivalent Ranger to the ZR2, especially since the Ranger Raptor isn’t coming in 2019.

That being said, the FX4 package looks like a good competitor to the Tacoma TRD Off-Road and Colorado Z71. There’s a few videos of the truck in action here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ford-ranger-reviews-compilation.1207/

A few reasons to pick the Ranger FX4:
  • Trail Control mode from the Raptor, can be used in 4H & 4Lo
  • Better approach, breakover & departure angles
  • Fully-boxed frame for overall stiffness when off-roading

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Welcome! Right now there isn’t really an equivalent Ranger to the ZR2, especially since the Ranger Raptor isn’t coming in 2019.

That being said, the FX4 package looks like a good competitor to the Tacoma TRD Off-Road and Colorado Z71. There’s a few videos of the truck in action here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ford-ranger-reviews-compilation.1207/

A few reasons to pick the Ranger FX4:
  • Trail Control mode from the Raptor, can be used in 4H & 4Lo
  • Better approach, breakover & departure angles
  • Fully-boxed frame for overall stiffness when off-roading
Yeah I know the fx4 would be their best Off-road package. I had a trd off-road (2017 year model) and hates the truck. Traded it in for the zr2, but I've got a bit of a crush on the ranger.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Another advantage of having the Ranger over the ZR2 is the fact that you won't have a surprise curtain airbag deployment while offroading. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say keep your ZR2. especially if you do a lot of offroading. wait a year and see what people are seeing about the Rangers. And the new ZR2 Bison from chevy that's coming out.

OP
OP

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
I'd say keep your ZR2. especially if you do a lot of offroading. wait a year and see what people are seeing about the Rangers. And the new ZR2 Bison from chevy that's coming out.
My beef with the zr2 is the lack of aftermarket parts. I do wheel quite a bit but feel like the ranger will have a ton more aftermarket support than the zr2.

EFNFAST

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 ZR-1 Corvette, 2019 Ranger
The ZR2 has a front locker?? That's cool. I would assume it also has a rear.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Do you have the gas or diesel engine in your ZR2? To me, the ZR2 Duramax looks like the most attractive truck package you can get in the U.S. currently. And I'm a GM hater admittedly. Had too many issues with GM trucks in my past. But I gotta' say, the new ZR2 is a nice package.

OP
OP

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Do you have the gas or diesel engine in your ZR2? To me, the ZR2 Duramax looks like the most attractive truck package you can get in the U.S. currently. And I'm a GM hater admittedly. Had too many issues with GM trucks in my past. But I gotta' say, the new ZR2 is a nice package.
I have the Duramax. I've had some issues with my truck. Tie rods that keep coming loose, two blown dssv shocks. Squeaky leaf springs, and some HVAC issues.

smlford

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 SRW, CC diesel, Ranger, 2.3l gas, Porsche 986S
If aftermarket support is what you're interested in you should take a serious look at the Jeep Gladiator that is coming out in the 2nd quarter of '19.
There is already a ton of support for it because it is based in part on the JL Wrangler...

OP
OP

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
If aftermarket support is what you're interested in you should take a serious look at the Jeep Gladiator that is coming out in the 2nd quarter of '19.
There is already a ton of support for it because it is based in part on the JL Wrangler...
While I do like the gladiator, I'll never own another Jeep.
Sponsored