Current F150 owner looking to trade for ranger. Or should I wait ?

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Or should I wait until the redesign? Some things I’m wondering......

Will Ford put auto 4X4 and a stick shift into the next redesign? Since both the Bronco and Ranger will share platforms, I’m wondering if they will? Will the 2.7 be coming to the higher trims?

I have the 2.7 in the F150 in 4x4 configuration and it’s a great engine. It’s just that the F150 is a little too much truck for what I need, and with the amount of mileage I have and will be putting on.

I will be doing some towing, but nothing over 5,000 lbs I rode on the inside of a Ranger when I got a courtesy ride home with my local Ford dealer while getting an oil change, and it was pretty spacious. A lot smaller than the F-150, but I think it would be plenty of room from long road hauls. I routinely drive 1500+ miles non stop, other than gas and bathroom breaks - and the F150 is a damn champion when it comes to leaving me feeling refreshed after 24+ driving - will the Ranger treat me as good? I know I’ll likely save some dollars on gas.

Another reason I’m considering the Ranger is the 2.3. One turbo instead of 2. I know it sounds silly, but for the long haul, if I have to replace turbos, I’ll like only having to replace one. My next purchase will be with me for 8 plus years so I am looking into the maintenance costs, gas mileage etc.

Really would love a Ranger, but I don’t know if it’s smart to wait out a couple of years for the redesign. Especially if I can snag auto 4x4 and a stick shift.

Sorry for the general ranting, any opinions, comments or answers would be awesome.
FYI, current vehicle is a 2019 F150 2.7, 52 thousand miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I went from a full size RAM to a Ranger. Full size truck was just overkill for me.
I hear ya. Same here. I mean I love it out on the open highways. It eats miles up with ease, but definitely over kill for what I need. Even with the 2.7 and lifetime average of 21.2, I would love to try to gain more. When I first got my truck I was living in the north east where the speed limit was 55 most of the time and had over 24 mpg average. Then I moved to Texas and it dropped like a rock.

I’m sure I could squeeze a little more out of the Ranger. And the size would definitely be much more kind in the city.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I went from a 2015 F150 supercab 4x4 2.7 with 6 speed transmission. Very reliable fun truck to drive, it was my weekend ride so l didn't put many miles on it. I traded it for a 2020 supercab Ranger xlt 4x4 and am very pleased so far. Was a little hesitant about the 10 speed transmission but it has been flawless so far. I don't think you will ever see a standard shift transmission in any pickup trucks anymore

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
RP is right about the stick being in the Bronco. I doubt you'll see a 2.7 in the Ranger unless the come out with a Ranger Raptor then I can see it there. I have a Bronco on order and I'm getting the 2.3 in that too. This motor is perfect for what I want it to do and like my Ranger if I feel I need more power/torque I'll get a tune for $500.00. I've owned many F150's and just love the Ranger! Sure I miss the extra room at times but not enough to switch back.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I went from a 2015 F150 supercab 4x4 2.7 with 6 speed transmission. Very reliable fun truck to drive, it was my weekend ride so l didn't put many miles on it. I traded it for a 2020 supercab Ranger xlt 4x4 and am very pleased so far. Was a little hesitant about the 10 speed transmission but it has been flawless so far. I don't think you will ever see a standard shift transmission in any pickup trucks anymore
Lock out 9th and 10th under 60mph, and its awesome. Above that 9th and 10 are ok for crusin'.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I hear ya. Same here. I mean I love it out on the open highways. It eats miles up with ease, but definitely over kill for what I need. Even with the 2.7 and lifetime average of 21.2, I would love to try to gain more. When I first got my truck I was living in the north east where the speed limit was 55 most of the time and had over 24 mpg average. Then I moved to Texas and it dropped like a rock.

I’m sure I could squeeze a little more out of the Ranger. And the size would definitely be much more kind in the city.
So far, i'm hangin' in there at 25.8 in the Ranger.

en13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 2WD
Vehicle Showcase
I chose a Ranger over an F150. I can sit it comfortably for 5 hours, but I'll never get to in one shot because I have to stop for gas due to the smaller Ranger tank. Its really frustrating when towing. That and I miss the the immense storage under the rear seat.

Fortunately those things mean there are maybe 10 days in a year I choose my SUV over the Ranger.

Ranger wins in every other way IMHO.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
theres no confirmation that i know of that the ranger will come with a stick down the road.
the bronco has it because hard core offroaders want it, and thats the market they seek.

waiting for a golden easter egg might be a waste of time to be honest.
but if Carvana pricing is any indication, you could get a Ranger now, dump it when Gen6 comes out with a stick and make $15000
Stats are from the Bronco forum. Now this is only a small percentage (20,000 member opposed to 160,000 orders) that are ordering their Bronco with a stick. I was surprised to see it so low compared to the 10A tranny.

2021 Bronco transmission distribution auto vs manual.jpg

Most are opting for the 2.7 though.

2021 Bronco engines distribution.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I was surprised to see it so low compared to the 10A tranny.
Why? People have been talking for years about how they want a stick, but it turns out that they're either lying or fooling themselves--because nobody actually sells many manuals anymore. The take rate on the wrangler (and presumably the bronco) is tremendously higher than ordinary vehicles, and still a fairly small percentage. For most vehicles the take rate can't justify the cost of adding it as an option.

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Stats are from the Bronco forum. Now this is only a small percentage (20,000 member opposed to 160,000 orders) that are ordering their Bronco with a stick. I was surprised to see it so low compared to the 10A tranny.

Wow. That’s surprising. I understand the appeal for the 2.7, because it is a GREAT engine with tons of torque........but the reliability of the manual does it for me. I guess I’m just thinking maintenance costs over years or use and for most the Bronco will be a fun toy. But still - for as many times as I see “wish it came with a manual” with many many upvotes on different automotive websites, you’d think the manual would have a higher take rate.

If I were in the market for the Bronco it would be the 2.3 with manual 100 percent.

I hope to god it comes in the next generation Ranger......

Probably not though.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Sounds like the ranger would be a good switch for you sooner than later. I’m getting 23-24 mpg mountainous driving 60-65 mph. Stock tires and wheels are what keeps the fuel mileage up. Aftermarket offset wheels that stick out farther, and oversized tires seem to be the death of fuel economy for the ranger. Makes sense though..

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
I traded a '14 F150 (XLT 5.0 4X4) for my new Ranger and I don't regret it at all. The size was a big factor in the deal and the smaller Ranger fits my needs much better (parking, etc). The updated electronics have proven to be a more than pleasant surprise. I especially like the Apple Carplay compatibility.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Hey, Dave, thanks for posting these interesting statistics! I used to love driving sticks and would have stuck (sorry, pun intended) with them, but my knees cannot work a clutch anymore. So, now, given a choice in future Rangers and/or Ranger Raptors, I would join the crowd and pick the automatic ten-speed and a 2.7 Eco-boost!
Sponsored