Current F150 owner looking to trade for ranger. Or should I wait ?

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Just back from carlisle pa swap meet. Made it home nonstop 5 hrs. Felt sore afterwards but I think it's my own health issues. Ranger was very composed. That being said I'm not sure I'd give up my f150 for it.

IMG_20210423_211633287~3.jpg
Interesting. Look at that mileage. That’s what I’m talking about. Yes, the F150 is another level of comfort - and I have the Seats with no center console, so it can get real comfortable and relaxing at night on the interstate. My favorite time to drive. Set cruise control, put on a podcast and spread out.

Before my F150 I used to occasionally drive a Ford Focus from upstate NY to Boston Massachusetts, and it was only a 5 hour drive but I felt like I wanted to die when I got there. I dreaded driving long distance in that thing. I didn’t realize how a nice driving vehicle would make you feel not as fatigued. I thought maybe I just didn’t enjoy driving long distances. Since I’ve purchased my F150 I’ve made 6 round trips to NY and back under two years. If I had the Focus still I wouldn’t have even attempted it lol.

But I think I’ll take one member’s suggestion and ask the dealer for an extended test drive. It’s paramount to get a feel of the driving before I buy. I spend an incredible amount of time in my vehicle. The Ranger is the most enticing vehicle for my job and lifestyle.

One other question to anyone else that can answer. Is the 2.3 ecoboost the same engine that’s in some of Ford’s other vehicles or has it been adapted for truck use? Same piston rods, pistons etc? Or is it just tuned differently?

I think the ecoboost 4 banger is perfect in theory for maintenance costs over the long term, I just want it to last and keep compression long into its life. Can the Ranger be a dedicated tow vehicle if it’s kept under 5000 pounds and oil changed religiously?

Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone. This thread has been very insightful for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
what year was your Focus?
I took mine, a 2017 across Canada last summer, 4600km in 4 days and never felt better. my first day was 15hrs, second day 13. Theres no way I could do that in the Ranger. It was like i was in a lounge chair on the beach for 4 days straight.
I get the sore leg syndrome in an hour with the Ranger and gotta stretch the seat back to solve it.
Wow, I don’t know how you did it lol. Mine was a 2016 with the oh so great DCT transmission.

I do miss the car for in city driving. I used to beat on it pretty good. Never had a single issue with it either.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I’m also an F-150 owner looking at the Ranger, but a SuperCrew without a longbed configuration has me waiting until the next generation. I’m married with 2 kids and a dog, so a SuperCrew is a must. I find the 5’ bed to be too small after almost 20 years behind the wheel of my ‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew with a 5 1/2 foot bed. A Ranger SuperCrew with a 6’ bed would be absolutely perfect for my needs. The extra bed volume would be handy for mulch runs and camping/backpacking trips with Boy Scouts. I also want the longbed for Mtn bikes and WW kayaks in the bed with the tailgate up so I can use the hitch for a bike rack or small camper trailer.

So for me, I’m waiting for the next gen Ranger and hopeful of a SuperCrew/longbed configuration. Full-size trucks are overkill and the other midsize trucks don’t quite check my boxes either. Thankfully my ‘02 just turned 101k last week and there is still life in that old 5.4 V8.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
that extra foot isnt going to be the holy grail you hope for. 6ft is still small for all that
It’s the difference between being able to get Mtn bikes in the bed with the tailgate up... Big enough difference to me.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
is there even a rumor that a longer bed with crew cab is in the works?
that would mean a whole new frame added to the assembly line to accommodate it.
There's a market for it I am sure, but is it worthwhile to Ford?
the overseas ranger has gone years without an extension on a crew. I'd be surprised to see it now.
I think they'd rather you roll the dice and get the F150 for larger loads
I believe the crewcab/longbed has been a longtime thing for the NA market only. I think the only reason we don’t already have one is because the 5th gen Ranger was never intended to be sold in NA when it was designed. I’m not sure why the next gen wouldn’t have that configuration when all other midsize (body on frame) competitors do have this option now? Even the upcoming Frontier will have a crewcab/longbed in certain trims.

This would be low hanging fruit and profitable for Ford. It wouldn’t require an all new frame, just a modified one which they will already have multiple variations since it will be shared with the Bronco. They are also already producing a 6’ box to go on the Supercab. Just bolt it to the extended WB frame.

Based on the current Ranger wheel base 126.8”and length 211” it would still end up being shorter than a F-150 SuperCrew with a 5 1/2 bed if they added a foot the the WB and length. The F-150 has a 145.4” WB and overall length of 231.7”

We’ll see? But I’m definitely hopefully.

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2016 Ford F150 with the 2.7, ended up having a factory defect of defective valve guides. I traded it in just over a week ago, while it was tore apart (Dealership was replacing the heads, just under the 5 year limit on powertrain). I felt sort of forced into getting another truck because I would have never trusted my engine again.

I just took a 1000 mile trip to Florida and back and am very impressed with my Ranger. I'm actually glad things worked out the way they did. The interior is awesome and I actually like that it isn't all aluminum like my F150.

Does anyone have the 5 foot bed with a tool box in the back? I am thinking about that, and I have seen the 61 inch tool boxes, but with the short bed and tool box, it may look like ass, not sure. This site is great and I am learning many things, thanks to the folks that share knowledge and info.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I went from a 2015 F150 supercab 4x4 2.7 with 6 speed transmission. Very reliable fun truck to drive, it was my weekend ride so l didn't put many miles on it. I traded it for a 2020 supercab Ranger xlt 4x4 and am very pleased so far. Was a little hesitant about the 10 speed transmission but it has been flawless so far. I don't think you will ever see a standard shift transmission in any pickup trucks anymore
I thought the 5-speed auto in my 2011 Ranger was sweet but found that the bar was raised on the 2020 10-speed!

Smith Ford 4.jpg

Side.jpg

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I went from a full size RAM to a Ranger. Full size truck was just overkill for me.
Good point Greg,
Garage size is also a consideration. I was looking for a 2018 F-150 Supercab, but fortunately decided to check my garage size before jumping in. Ford specs showed this F-150 to be 19.325’ in length and I rounded to 19.4” Imagine almost 20' long, close to a 2-story house height considering that the average ceiling is 10.' The supercrew's are even longer!! I would have had only about 1" of clearance from the front to back of the garage! They didn't design garages for these big trucks in 1985. Car theft is an ongoing issue in our city so in a garage is the safest way to go. The Ranger is a perfect fit with room to move in front and back of it while garaged. No regrets and would buy it again :).

Last edited:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
When i bought my Ranger i went shopping for a f150 first. When i saw the price and features, i was really let down. Too much for too little.
Just as a let me see what this is, i looked at a ranger. I was amazed at how much it could carry and tow! 1700 cargo 7500 tow (with proper equipment). Xlt 4x2.
10k cheaper and it fit all of my needs!
I don't know anything about next gen Ranger or what coming or going, but I don't regret the buy. Had been looking forward to an f150 too, but when the pen hit the paper, it was just too much money and too little truck. Small screen, bench seat, aluminum work wheels....sheesh.
I can only tell you why I bought a Ranger, up to you as what you want to do. 2020 8k miles some road trips, (south texas to Chicago) and lots of local vacations, south texas to dallas, san antonio, austin, really good pickup, i tow a 15 foot box trailer, and a 15 foot lawnmower trailer once or twice a week and works just fine!
Sponsored