Current F150 owner looking to trade for ranger. Or should I wait ?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. That’s surprising. I understand the appeal for the 2.7, because it is a GREAT engine with tons of torque........but the reliability of the manual does it for me. I guess I’m just thinking maintenance costs over years or use and for most the Bronco will be a fun toy. But still - for as many times as I see “wish it came with a manual” with many many upvotes on different automotive websites, you’d think the manual would have a higher take rate.

If I were in the market for the Bronco it would be the 2.3 with manual 100 percent.

I hope to god it comes in the next generation Ranger......

Probably not though.
I read somewhere that getting a stick is now considered an anti-theft feature ... because so few potential thieves know how to drive one!
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Or should I wait until the redesign? Some things I’m wondering......

Will Ford put auto 4X4 and a stick shift into the next redesign? Since both the Bronco and Ranger will share platforms, I’m wondering if they will? Will the 2.7 be coming to the higher trims?

I have the 2.7 in the F150 in 4x4 configuration and it’s a great engine. It’s just that the F150 is a little too much truck for what I need, and with the amount of mileage I have and will be putting on.

I will be doing some towing, but nothing over 5,000 lbs I rode on the inside of a Ranger when I got a courtesy ride home with my local Ford dealer while getting an oil change, and it was pretty spacious. A lot smaller than the F-150, but I think it would be plenty of room from long road hauls. I routinely drive 1500+ miles non stop, other than gas and bathroom breaks - and the F150 is a damn champion when it comes to leaving me feeling refreshed after 24+ driving - will the Ranger treat me as good? I know I’ll likely save some dollars on gas.

Another reason I’m considering the Ranger is the 2.3. One turbo instead of 2. I know it sounds silly, but for the long haul, if I have to replace turbos, I’ll like only having to replace one. My next purchase will be with me for 8 plus years so I am looking into the maintenance costs, gas mileage etc.

Really would love a Ranger, but I don’t know if it’s smart to wait out a couple of years for the redesign. Especially if I can snag auto 4x4 and a stick shift.

Sorry for the general ranting, any opinions, comments or answers would be awesome.
FYI, current vehicle is a 2019 F150 2.7, 52 thousand miles.
I never actually owned a 150 but drove one for a week or so as a loaner before getting my current 2019 Lariat. My opinion is, the 150 is a great truck, probably the greatest truck, and we loved the ride, but the Ranger is much more practical for the way we live, basically daily driving with local vacations and road trips several times per year--all this involves minimal hauling and no towing. I do not think anybody is expecting a stick in future versions of the Ranger, although a 2.7 may show up in the Ranger Raptor in coming years. But, for now, the 2.3-liter turbo with an automatic ten-speed (+Sport) is a great powertrain even in stock form, and an even better one when tuned. Tuned or not, it really rips. In fact, the Ranger moves so effortlessly from perfectly safe and legal speeds into crazy-dangerous and ticket-worthy ones that one hardly notices.....

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I have to agree with my friend Dave @AzScorpion. With the low take rate of the manual in the Bronco I don't think we'll see one in the Ranger. Also, the little 2.3L is more than enough for the truck. With a tow rating of 7500 lbs it will get the job done easily. Myself I was more than surprised at the power, and torque. In the past I have only owned f-150's, but with the parking spaces getting tighter, and tighter I decided to give the Ranger a shot. It does everything I need, and it doesn't take a 40 acre field to turn it around. Plus on my last trip of 500 miles, it returned 27.3 mpgs (running at 70-75 mph at times) according to the compooter thingy. Even it that's 1 mpg off I'm quite happy with that. Good luck on your decision.​
Disclaimer: My Ranger is an extend cab, and it's a bit lighter than the Super Crews. So, as they say YMMV. :)

Viscerol

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Mortician
Having had 3 manuals in a row, it is such a pleasant experience to just hit the gas and go in my Ranger. I’m getting too old to row my own. It’s my daily and manuals suck in traffic.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey, Dave, thanks for posting these interesting statistics! I used to love driving sticks and would have stuck (sorry, pun intended) with them, but my knees cannot work a clutch anymore. So, now, given a choice in future Rangers and/or Ranger Raptors, I would join the crowd and pick the automatic ten-speed and a 2.7 Eco-boost!
Marc one thing to keep in mind is that these stats are only a small percentage from the forum. I'm sure there are a lot more out there who do not engage in forums that will opt for the manual. But I think in the end we'll still see numbers closer to 3/1 who opt for the 10A. I gave it some serious thought myself but reality is I just enjoy the convenience now of getting in and putting it in D and not having to think about shifting anymore. Having the 10A in the Ranger has also helped my decision too, I love this drivetrain. Plus my gf cant drive a stick and I can already tell when we watch videos she's getting more and more interested in the Bronco. Wait...on second thought maybe I should get a stick so I don't get up one morning and my Bronco's gone. :giggle:

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Very respectable number. I would be pleased with that.
I would too! Tracking mine thru Fuelly, my best is just short of 24, but my average is only slightly more than 21. ?

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
The mechanical side of me cringes thinking about having to work on a 2.7 shoved in a Ranger. Would be awesome but I would pass lol

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
OP - I came out of a 2017 F150 SuperCrew. Drove nothing but F150 SuperCrew trucks since 2001. My son and daughter are out of the house so it is just me and the wife, so we downsized to a Ranger. Very happy with it. It will take you a little bit of time to get used to things like less interior room and storage space. But I am happy with the truck. Best advice is ask the dealer to take it home for the day (overnight) and do some things in it you would normally do to see how you like it.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you want a surprise, look at the max payload weight of the Ranger vs. the F150, both in crewcab and short bed configuration.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
I originally went shopping for a Ford F-150 but was concerned about it fitting in my garage. The extended cab F-150's did not have much room for passengers in the back row. Both my boys are about 6'4" and even though we rarely ride together at the same time, we do on occasion and there was simply no room for them. Disappointed, as I was leaving the lot, my wife said "Look at the new Rangers". I looked, and was surprised at their size. My brother had a couple Rangers back in the late 80's and early 90's and I remember them being small. The new Ranger was perfect for us. It fits in my garage (just barely, but it fits) and the second row is easy to get in and out and the space is good too. I still have a five-foot bed which will haul what I need to haul (usually grass clippings to the compost pile or trips to Northern Minnesota where the family cabin is). After two months, I love the Ranger and it does everything I need it too. Mine came with the towing package and is rated to pull a trailer up to 7,500 pounds. It has more than enough power for me and fits my needs perfect!

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
Traded my 2012 F150 Lariat with 3.5 Ecoboost for a 2021 Lariat Ranger and after a little over a week of Ranger ownership I can honestly say that I dont feel like Ive settled for less truck. My bigger towing need of the F150 is not an issue now, so ive found the Ranger to check all the boxes except for back seating for my dogs. The F150 screw with the seats folded up made for a very flat and spacious area for my 2 dogs. One of the dogs is a mastiff so in the Ranger we are a little space challenged. I will say that I do miss the seat memory feature, as over the last week my wife has driven the truck a couple of times, and I have to find the sweet spot all over.

Last edited:

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Or should I wait until the redesign? Some things I’m wondering......

Will Ford put auto 4X4 and a stick shift into the next redesign? Since both the Bronco and Ranger will share platforms, I’m wondering if they will? Will the 2.7 be coming to the higher trims?

I have the 2.7 in the F150 in 4x4 configuration and it’s a great engine. It’s just that the F150 is a little too much truck for what I need, and with the amount of mileage I have and will be putting on.

I will be doing some towing, but nothing over 5,000 lbs I rode on the inside of a Ranger when I got a courtesy ride home with my local Ford dealer while getting an oil change, and it was pretty spacious. A lot smaller than the F-150, but I think it would be plenty of room from long road hauls. I routinely drive 1500+ miles non stop, other than gas and bathroom breaks - and the F150 is a damn champion when it comes to leaving me feeling refreshed after 24+ driving - will the Ranger treat me as good? I know I’ll likely save some dollars on gas.

Another reason I’m considering the Ranger is the 2.3. One turbo instead of 2. I know it sounds silly, but for the long haul, if I have to replace turbos, I’ll like only having to replace one. My next purchase will be with me for 8 plus years so I am looking into the maintenance costs, gas mileage etc.

Really would love a Ranger, but I don’t know if it’s smart to wait out a couple of years for the redesign. Especially if I can snag auto 4x4 and a stick shift.

Sorry for the general ranting, any opinions, comments or answers would be awesome.
FYI, current vehicle is a 2019 F150 2.7, 52 thousand miles.
So I can't really say what is "smart" to do. since buying a brand new vehicle is not usually a smart move, but none of us would be here if we ignored our wants and only stuck to smart moves! ? You're looking at 2023+ for the redesign, so you need to decide if you want to wait that long for the redesign.

For the current ranger, I think you will probably enjoy it very much. I have taken several long trips in mine, including a 5000 mile round trip from FL to CO and I was quite happy with it. Plenty of room in the cab for me, my wife, our 45lb pitbull-shepherd mix, all of our luggage and a mountain bike. Same story for my smaller solo trip to North Georgia. Plenty of room for all of my camping gear and bike, and great for off roading when the rain ruined biking plans. Only thing is gas tank could stand to be a little bigger for more range, but ~400 miles per tank served us well on the road.

Towing a 3000-4000lb boat trailer is not a problem for me over long distances, in traffic, or on tight roads. You won't even notice it with a good trailer. Fuel consumption may be higher than your F150 while towing and you'll have to install a brake controller, but it is a very competent tow vehicle.

The transmission was great at engine braking while descending from Estes Park, CO and generally makes for a great daily driving experience.

IMO off-roading with a manual is overrated. Sure it's more challenging and maybe a little cooler, but it is just so much simpler to drive an automatic. I deal with enough challenges every day at work, so I generally look to minimize complications in my hobbies, with some exceptions. If I want to do some clutch work, I'll take out the supercharged bullitt with the 5 speed. Otherwise, I'm content to hop in my truck and push a button.

Hope this helps!

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
We bought our SuperCab Ranger primarily for long-haul trips. Went for the Lariat because the spousal unit found the interior more accommodating. We've found it very comfortable on such trips and its highway handling is excellent for a truck.

20scabstx

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger
Occupation
Steel worker
Just back from carlisle pa swap meet. Made it home nonstop 5 hrs. Felt sore afterwards but I think it's my own health issues. Ranger was very composed. That being said I'm not sure I'd give up my f150 for it.

IMG_20210423_211633287~3.jpg
Sponsored