Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
What are the pros and cons of an aftermarket exhaust?

Is it healthier for the life of the Ranger to leave the stock or better to put on a aftermarket exhaust?
I self installed a Flowmaster Catback exhaust. VERY doable if you know how to work a wrench. I love it. I cannot imagine there will be ANY reliability issues. Some might say the decreased back pressure can be hard on the exhaust valves / engine. These are turbocharged motors, so the turbine provides plenty of back pressure when the motor is pressed hard. See my thread here for more info: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-back-exhaust-system-install-with-mods.12307/

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport
Occupation
Engineering
My last Ranger a 97 exhaust lasted 17 years before I pulled it and replaced with a magnaflow. What rusted out was the mount on the end of the cat where the flex spring joint was. So that was a stainless factory unit. Same with the Y pipe flange, not much left of it and had trouble keeping it sealed in its last days. The old cat I got 750 for it scrap!

TORQUERULES

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Hot Pepper Red with Black Package
Occupation
Public School Administrator
Question is, can it hurt the reliability of an engine, or can it help?
No. It might actually make it more reliable.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I'm not Mr. Lebowski, YOU'RE Mr. Lebowski. I'm The Dude.
Question is, can it hurt the reliability of an engine, or can it help?
My previous truck was a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac that I put a Gibson cat-back on when it was almost new. Put 212,000 miles on it with no engine issues until it hit, you know, 212,000 miles . It paid for itself a couple times over with what I saved in gas. If you don't mind the noise. For now I'm liking the quiet. I figure it helps engine life since the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Pros? Potentially more Horsepower and Torque (slightly) and a sick sounding truck!

Cons? Maybe annoyed neighbours? Fuck em! ?

I'm waiting on my Borla S-type cat-back duals. So painful a wait since apparently it was a special order and will take 25-30 days to get to me. ☹

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Any muffler of good quality will be as reliable if not more so than the OEM muffler. Especially since the stock muffler has a baffle plate restrictor in it that could present flow issues if it were to get clogged up with soot. The best option then would be to get a stainless steel muffler as it'll never rust, but any aluminized or galvanized muffler will be fine.
Bullshit. Any muffler? Do you honestly think Ford put the worst muffler ever made on our trucks. Hurl..

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I once put an aftermarket exhaust on a Ford Escape. There was nothing wrong with the original exhaust but I was looking for a better sound and increased performance.

X number of dollars later the aftermarket exhaust was installed. It was just an annoying drone. Dreadful.

About five days later I had the exhaust removed and had to pay for a new regular exhaust to be installed.

it was the biggest aftermarket mistake of my life.

Last edited:

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Why not a forscan hack to boost the "enhanced engine noise"?:LOL:

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 , SHO
As hard as it is to resist, my opinion is to hold off on anything that could cause a Ford shop to void my warranty until after my warranty has expired. Nothing wrong with anyone who would disagree, but if something happens and there's a question on whether or not the piece caused or contributed to an acceleration of failure, I don't want to be going against Ford's pricey corporate lawyers.

Plus an exhaust on these isn't much of an upgrade, sound wise.
the factory muffler on our trucks is a real restriction there is other threads where some has pulled off the factory and punched out the back side of the muffler to ease that restriction. as for the down pipe, really have not hears about major gains not like we got from doing the down pipes on the SHO cars,

found the post on the restriction

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/5-stars-ranger-update.5818/
2019 ranger exhaust.jpg

picture from 5 star

Last edited:

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Engineering
FWIW, I installed the same Borla that Ford Performance rebrands. Also installed an AEM air filter. When it’s released I plan to install the Ford tune when its available for MY22. My reasons going this route are like yours as to not give Ford an easy way out if I have an issue. Others will disagree and that’s OK. So do what’s comfortable for you.

oh, the Borla sound helps me relive my younger V8, hooker headers, dual exhaust, thrush muffler days 🤪😜

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 , SHO
FWIW, I installed the same Borla that Ford Performance rebrands. Also installed an AEM air filter. When it’s released I plan to install the Ford tune when its available for MY22. My reasons going this route are like yours as to not give Ford an easy way out if I have an issue. Others will disagree and that’s OK. So do what’s comfortable for you.

oh, the Borla sound helps me relive my younger V8, hooker headers, dual exhaust, thrush muffler days 🤪😜
did the same here on the borla and the filter did do unleashed on the tune..

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I don't care about the sound. I care about the reliability.
I can't think of a reason it would compromise long term reliability, of course, that could depend on the exhaust, but main stream, not a problem.

But, if you don't care about the sound, definitely save your money, get a damper and some dumbbells to keep you arm strength up. :0

PS - didn't read the op date before I posted, doh. sorry dudes.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Every time I start my harley at 6am I tell myself, "It's a community service"
Do you play dress up too, like all the wannabe bike gangs? LOLOL

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
the factory muffler on our trucks is a real restriction there is other threads where some has pulled off the factory and punched out the back side of the muffler to ease that restriction. as for the down pipe, really have not hears about major gains not like we got from doing the down pipes on the SHO cars,

found the post on the restriction

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/5-stars-ranger-update.5818/
2019 ranger exhaust.jpg

picture from 5 star
Misleading. That small hole is not the only exhaust path.