Air to Air or Air to Liquid Aftermarket Inter cooler?

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I tried both in my supercharged Miata. Air to Air won. I had a 5 gallon tank with pump and a small radiotor up front to keep the water tempos down. Under boost I could heat soak the entire system in an hour, Took forever to fully recover. I had thermal sensors before and after the intercooler, and differentials dropped rather quickly. I experimented with several water to air ICs, and pumps to no avail. My miata 1.6L topped out at 180hp at the wheels with 8psi. I lost 25 hp at the top end from parasitic losses, but torque curve was "tabletop" flat, It just felt like a bigger engine. I'm presently in the middle of upgrading to a turbo and I''m expecting about 215hp at the wheels with air2air intercooler at 8psi. I can take it safely to 12psi, but too much speed takes the fun out of the car. You zip through 1st and 2nd like they are granny gears, by the to of 3rd you are well above interstate speeds!

The last time I tiik it to be inspected I was having fun and was pulled by the police. IBefore he spoke a word, I handed him my drivers license and told him I hadn't had the car out in a few months and was bringing it in the get inspected (true) and that I was horsing around having fun... and that I waS guilty as hell. And that if he let me off I would go home and park it for the next 6 months! He smiled at me and instructed to head home. I did exactly as I promised, Still sitting in the garage. Here are a few pics. It is a 1993 Limited Edition Number 1310 of 1500. A great fun weekend car with less than 70,000 miles on it.

93le1.jpg

93le2.jpg

93le3.jpg

93le4.jpg

I hope to be able to tune the lag and peaks from the curves, but there is only so much you can do. The car will also be much quieter and have better gas mileage when not in boost. Wifey has been asking to tone it down. The SC exhaust drones at highway speeds from the SC. My Advice - Stick with air2air, more air plumbing but less points of failure.

Best of luck to you

-T
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Not sure about owners who drive their Ranger like it's stolen but for me, I see the AIT at or 1-2F to ambient...after idling for 10 minutes standing still the temp might go up 10-20F but would quickly return to ambient once moving...excellent IC...
Can confirm, few minutes with light pedal after driving like its stolen and it’s good to go. You see the temps drop degrees pretty quickly even if it’s really really hot. I forgot the numbers since I broke my tuner box a few months ago.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
As others mention water meth is all your gonna need for big power
Sponsored