To D-Ring or not to D-Ring. Thoughts?

Is the D-Ring Shackle Conversion a good move?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4lowphoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Photographer/ Graphic Designer
As an alternative you can get soft shackles to attach a strap. I use Gator Jaw and factor 55 and they are the best thing ever.
Sponsored

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
On line, I see the Gator Jaw, but what does factor 55 mean?
What did I miss?

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
I do plenty of off roading in Michigan with my Jeep club and have taken the Ranger out through a lot of what you are thinking as well across the state. The stock points should be just fine. Plus, as many others have stated, the after market kit looks great, but to off road, those are definitely at some point going to get in the way with how far out they stick!

Additionally, as I am sure you are well aware of in Michigan, RUST and CORROSION! Having those D-rings left on the front through a Michigan winter...not a great idea! I have seen many a Jeep in this area have issues with the metal shackles just being completely stuck in place and really having to work to get them unstuck to be rigged up!

I have used the factory tow/recovery point on many vehicles for a while, including some hard recoveries in my Jeep, and I still run all the factory tow points and stock bumpers there too, and never had an issue.

I would recommend keeping the stock hooks and getting a few really nice soft shackles! They are light, store up nice and small, are super easy to get through the factory tow hooks in the front, and remove all the metal from your rigging completely! And many soft shackles are rated even higher then their metal shackle counter part! Just make sure that after recovery use, if they get muddy/dirty (which they inevitably will), you give them a good spray clean/power wash! I have already used this setup on my truck and it has worked out great!

Just to share, since we all love pics and videos, here's a fun recovery from the Jeep group from back in January! My Jeep is the tan one! And this was up near Cadillac on some of the Seasonal Roads!

Great stuff. Snow running.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Just thought I'd thank you folks for your expertise regarding pulling someone (or myself) out of being stuck. For decades, I thought I was equipped to do so, but NO.
After reading about Bubba Rope/Soft Shackles, etc, I felt under equipped.
Am awaiting my $300 order for proper equipment.
Thanks again; and my wife thanks you for helping to keep us safe and prepared.
(Ya, Right!)

Last edited:

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Any options out there to mount d-rings in the rear, besides hitch receiver? I wound up ordering the front conversion...mainly because it looks cool, haha.

Jgarrett

First Name
jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
FBI
I have RC shackles for beach running extraction. The factory hooks are strong but cannot unhook to place strap ends onto (need another connection). Takes less than 20 min to mount. Plus they help to make the offroad look complete.

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Any options out there to mount d-rings in the rear, besides hitch receiver? I wound up ordering the front conversion...mainly because it looks cool, haha.
I would be interested in some sort of additional rear tow hook besides the receiver too! Iv'e been looking into it but not coming up with much luck anywhere! I think the older FX4s, maybe the Level II package, used to come with a rear tow hook! It was a smaller hoop-like hook, but really don't see anything for the rear end of most trucks nowadays!

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I would be interested in some sort of additional rear tow hook besides the receiver too! Iv'e been looking into it but not coming up with much luck anywhere! I think the older FX4s, maybe the Level II package, used to come with a rear tow hook! It was a smaller hoop-like hook, but really don't see anything for the rear end of most trucks nowadays!
I asked because a guy at work has a newer Raptor and I noticed he has points in the rear that look like our OEM ones in the front. I didn't stop and look to see where or how they're attached though. I guess I'll have to take a look under my truck this weekend and see what we have to work with.

I'm looking for possible options that retain the stock bumper, hitch assembly, etc. by the way.

mdfiasco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT CC
Occupation
Stance Haters Club Pres.
After decades of rooting and getting stuck, I'll stick with the factory recovery points. Between my friends and I, we've tried every single farkle on the market. Hooks and hoops are better than anything else. They're simple, they're always ready, and they're already there.

Shackles look super cool and that's MOSTLY why people gravitate to them. I said "mostly" before you get your offroading panties all bunched up.

Shackles are never convenient when you need them. The pin needs to be over-tightened to simply stay put in normal every day driving lest the pin vibrate out. So when you're knee deep in forest service road mud, you're not just wrestling with the pin, shackle, and a strap. Now you're looking for a pair of pliers while your girlfriend is complaining about it being hot, or cold, or bugs, or she has pee...

Shackles also vibrate and clank like hell as soon as you hit the gravel. After thirty minutes, it grates on me, sounds like the whole front end is loose as the clanking resonates through the frame.

When I see shackles on a shiny new truck, I see a tryhard lookatme Punisher sticker kinda guy. The in-between is just wasting time and money.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Tossed a set on my truck. Super easy install, 10-15 minutes, and I used cotter pins to discourage anybody who might decide to 'borrow' the d-rings.

nc_ohc=xHJ4n5EiMAEAX8X9MvQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fden3-1.jpg

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I asked because a guy at work has a newer Raptor and I noticed he has points in the rear that look like our OEM ones in the front. I didn't stop and look to see where or how they're attached though. I guess I'll have to take a look under my truck this weekend and see what we have to work with.

I'm looking for possible options that retain the stock bumper, hitch assembly, etc. by the way.
Not sure what experienced folks do, but I’ll lob this out and see what folks think:

I wanted a rear recovery point so I bought the biggest bolt that would fit the hitch pin holes. And I have a couple soft shackles. So while I have yet to get stuck (it will come..) my plan is to put a loop of the soft shackle in the hitch receiver and the bolt through it to anchor it.

I feel like it’s versatile, light, fast, no major downside other than not looking pretty.

Maybe one downside is that if the rear point was being pulled at a very harsh angle the soft shackle would be under tension over the inside edge of the receiver, but in practice it seems unlikely to end up that way and it would be easy to pad it.

Curious what other folks think that actually are doing any recovery.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Not sure what experienced folks do, but I’ll lob this out and see what folks think:

I wanted a rear recovery point so I bought the biggest bolt that would fit the hitch pin holes. And I have a couple soft shackles. So while I have yet to get stuck (it will come..) my plan is to put a loop of the soft shackle in the hitch receiver and the bolt through it to anchor it.

I feel like it’s versatile, light, fast, no major downside other than not looking pretty.

Maybe one downside is that if the rear point was being pulled at a very harsh angle the soft shackle would be under tension over the inside edge of the receiver, but in practice it seems unlikely to end up that way and it would be easy to pad it.

As good of an idea this is I would suggest one of the hook pr shackle kits that go in the hitch. Why you might ask? Simply put to reduce the risk of damaging a strap from a sharp edge on the hitch.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer

Is a hitch pin acceptable as a snatch recovery point?
Sponsored