First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat
Occupation
Builder of Metal
Well I have 275/70r18s On a 2.5 inch level and they rubbed When the truck was in reverse. All good after installing after market crash bars. (What a pain in the ass that was). They also sat very close to the knuckle. Close enough that it made me uncomfortable and I added a 1 inch spacer. So just going by that I’d go smaller than a 275 given the information you provided.
Sponsored

Jacdschu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Builder of Metal
Are you using stock wheels? Also mine is just a 2" lift.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
2.5 level. Stock 18s. 1 inch spacer. To clearance the knuckle. BDS crash bars because the tires had a slight rub in reverse at full lock.

20200626_123136.jpg

20200626_123115.jpg

Last edited:

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
The same for a XLT version. Is the Lariat's dimensions any different than the XLT SuperCrew?

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
2.5 level. Stock 18s. 1 inch spacer. To clearance the knuckle. BDS crash bars because the tires had a slight rub in reverse at full lock.

20200626_123136.jpg

20200626_123115.jpg
Are the 1” spacers a must? I just bought a 2.5” leveling kit and wasn’t “planning” on the spacers.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Are the 1” spacers a must? I just bought a 2.5” leveling kit and wasn’t “planning” on the spacers.
It all depends on the tire size to go with. Stick with a bag of 32in Tire you should be fine. If you go to a 33 inch tire you will need about a quarter inch of spacing added to the front wheels.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
It all depends on the tire size to go with. Stick with a bag of 32in Tire you should be fine. If you go to a 33 inch tire you will need about a quarter inch of spacing added to the front wheels.
At this point I’m sticking with my stock 18”.

Jacdschu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Builder of Metal
Also looking at some bushwacker fender flares so a wheel spacer maybe needed depending on the tire width. I want the tires to push out a little.
Really depends on the tire width.

Aragorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Cab
I put the Goodyear Ultratarrain 265/70/17. That is the largest tire Ford will keep the warranty
0624201703_HDR.jpg
Where did you get the information about the largest tire that Ford will cover under their warranty? And what exactly do you mean by that—drivetrain warranty, bumper-to-bumper warranty, or the extra tire warranty you can buy?

I’m not doubting you. I just want to learn more.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Where did you get the information about the largest tire that Ford will cover under their warranty? And what exactly do you mean by that—drivetrain warranty, bumper-to-bumper warranty, or the extra tire warranty you can buy?

I’m not doubting you. I just want to learn more.
If anything I think it is the safest size you can go to without any modifications that Ford will recommend. Makse since if you dont want to buy new wheels or get wheel spacers. Thats my input at least. Perhaps @P. A. Schilke can give some better input on this.

CVCA91911

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
I have Fox 2.0 coilovers and Fox 2.0 rear shocks which leveled my truck nicely. I then changed out the stock tires to BFG KO2 LT265/65 R18 with no rubbing even off-roading.

My truck is my daily driver and these tires are great on the highway. They really shine off-road no slipping and able to crawl over jagged rocks with no problem( deflate to 25 psi depending on terrain).They also have a great look to them. That’s my opinion. Let me know yours.

40148E56-EEF3-4D6B-94FD-DE291D5D4ED3.jpeg

16E6CECF-67C7-4867-B221-A7CF1B29CF04.jpeg

84CCC494-4C0C-47BB-BECA-A89A48C2B021.jpeg

EFA6470B-5967-449F-B65F-4D6E5DB435C0.jpeg

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
No not a must. But with the stock wheels the tire sits right next to the aluminum knuckle. Maybe an 1/8 of an inch. Maybe a little less. I didn’t measure. Heres a photo. As long as you never air down the tires. I would think you could get away with it. Tires seam to find a way of airing down all by themselves thought.

DE925A73-CCC4-4DCA-AA9B-6A27DC282041.jpeg

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
Also looking at some bushwacker fender flares so a wheel spacer maybe needed depending on the tire width. I want the tires to push out a little.
Really depends on the tire width.
Love the flares. Really sets the truck off and gives it some attitude.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If anything I think it is the safest size you can go to without any modifications that Ford will recommend. Makse since if you dont want to buy new wheels or get wheel spacers. Thats my input at least. Perhaps @P. A. Schilke can give some better input on this.
Hi Chris,

I really do not recommend other than the OEM tire size. However there is the Magnuson Moss warranty act that many aftermarket parts manufacturers stand behind. My caution here is that it puts the burden of proof on Ford that the Mod...in this case tire size, resulted in the non payment/repair of a vehicle wrt the tire size or lawsuit. If you mod your vehicle with wheel spacers for example and then have a problem with a wheel bearing, likely the dealer/Ford will say the spacer caused loading beyond intent and thus voids the warranty in this hypothetical case. Ford does not and cannot evaluate every tire that might fit under Ranger nor evaluate every thickness wheel spacer.

The Firestone tire fiasco that I was involved in with Ranger when our then CEO directed to remove Firestone Tires from all Ford Products and publish a list of replacement tires for vehicles shod with Firestone tires. My vehicle dynamics folks had to evaluate every published tire for handling safety, and there were some out there that did not make it...Amazingly not just overseas, but domestic producers. Tires that flunked the various handling attributes did not make the list....Talk about a ton of work that we had to do ASAP. I spent Millions just air freighting tires to various test facilities for testing. So when you mod your tires, you take a risk with handling etc. Do not take this to stop Moding...just be aware that there is a risk when there is a deviation from OEM specs.

Okay...rant over

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone - I've tried reading through the stickied threads but it gets a bit overwhelming to read through 20+ page threads on a subject I don't know much about. I am hoping for some recommendations and education on upgrading my tires on my truck.
I have the 2019 Lariat FX4 model and had the Ford Performance level kit installed a few months ago. I love to go off-roading and would like more capable tires for that, but the truck will still be my daily driver to work about 5 miles away. I still have the factory installed Dynapro AT tires at 265/60R18 110T.

Thanks in advance
Guys, with 9,000 miles on the stock Hankook Dynapro AT/M's, yesterday I ran a list of my tire choices (which included most of those mentioned on this thread, with the additions of the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus and the Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15) by my local dealer's service manager. Selection is naturally limited by the pandemic, but they did have the Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA in 265/60/R18. Since I did not want to go bigger than stock, that suits me fine and puts an end, hopefully forever, to my tire search. From what I have read here and elsewhere, nearly everybody loves the Wildpeaks in terms of capability, durability, and appearance, though not a few owners and reviewers complain about the noise level. They go on Friday afternoon, though I won't have a chance to run with them until Monday morning. More later....
Sponsored