Tire recommendations for 2019 Lariat FX4 with Ford Performance Level Kit

jedirulez

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi everyone - I've tried reading through the stickied threads but it gets a bit overwhelming to read through 20+ page threads on a subject I don't know much about. I am hoping for some recommendations and education on upgrading my tires on my truck.
I have the 2019 Lariat FX4 model and had the Ford Performance level kit installed a few months ago. I love to go off-roading and would like more capable tires for that, but the truck will still be my daily driver to work about 5 miles away. I still have the factory installed Dynapro AT tires at 265/60R18 110T.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my leveled FX4 and am very pleased with them.

BIG improvement over the Hankooks in ride, traction, and handling.

Plus they look cool. :like:

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
I have a 2020 Lariat FX4 w/ the Fox 2.0 kit installed.
Mounted Toyo Open Country A/T 3’s in 265/65R18
Been very happy with them!

Main reason I went with them is the fact that they are only ~4lb’s heavier than the factory tires. Almost all other options on the market are 10+ lb’s heavier.
442A04B9-5FD1-46CB-B04F-304B40E31F92.jpeg

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
I put the Goodyear Ultratarrain 265/70/17. That is the largest tire Ford will keep the warranty
0624201703_HDR.jpg

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Falken Wildpeak AT3s (E load) 265/70/17 on aftermarket wheels with +12 offset. FP Fox 2.0 leveled suspension.

Works well. I like the tires thus far (three weeks). Quiet. Comfortable ride (35 psi of max 80 psi). Good fit. Capable. Largest size to which Ford claimed it would recalibrate (same for FP tune). Good reviews. Ford dealership had a deal on them last month.

61E1F27B-137D-42F8-9E76-9BFFD307E9D4.jpeg

1C0E88CA-8A68-4D5F-BCC2-CD005385590E.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 on my truck. They hold up very well and have nice road manners. Depending on what kind of off road trials you are going to hit will depend on how agressive you will want to go but if you want a good daily driver it becomes a battle for the right tire.

0507201943a.jpg

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
It depends. Tires are kinda like beer or wine or whiskey or whatever, people have favorites and are loyal. You will not get a bad response from anyone.

You are in Utah, your truck is your DD and you want to wander off road. So you need a year round tire, that will include driving on the road with rain and snow - and off road from little rocks, (meaning sand), to big rocks and everything in between.

Make sure you all your requirements are covered. You have people from all over America and a couple other continents kicking in advice.

So my experience hear in the Southwest, of Ohio, the BFG KO2 AT.
Best tire I every had, DD 60 mile round trip to work in YJ years ago. For me great rain and snow handling. Mild off roading no problems. Potential down sides are weight, cost and road noise - though the new version of KO2 I put on my Ranger are quieter than the first version from years ago that I had on my YJ.

Have fun making a decision haha. It may come down to best local price , rebate and freebies- whether they give you badges, posters, stickers or t-shirts. (yes Dire Straits).

Slash3040

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Audio Video Technician
I am looking for new tires as well and the BFG K02's at LT285/70R17 116 /113Q look like the winner for me.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone - I've tried reading through the stickied threads but it gets a bit overwhelming to read through 20+ page threads on a subject I don't know much about. I am hoping for some recommendations and education on upgrading my tires on my truck.
I have the 2019 Lariat FX4 model and had the Ford Performance level kit installed a few months ago. I love to go off-roading and would like more capable tires for that, but the truck will still be my daily driver to work about 5 miles away. I still have the factory installed Dynapro AT tires at 265/60R18 110T.

Thanks in advance
Thanks for starting this thread. I am in exactly the same position as you are. With c. 8,000 miles on my Ford Performance-Leveled 2019 Lariat FX4's stock Hankook Dynapro AT at 265/60/R18, I am looking to upgrade. I do not hate the stock Hankook tires, which have not given me any problems, and am not looking to run anything larger or heaver, but I would like to improve the daily drive as well as have something more capable and durable for adverse conditions, thinking more about bad roads, mountain roads, and inclement weather than off-road. I do have the particular demands that the winning tire must have the three-peak snow-capable symbol (for obvious reasons) and be available in black sidewalls (for aesthetic reasons). So far I have been researching on the web and like the Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA, Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus, and the Yokohama Geolander A/T GO 15. Any help from members with actual experience running one or more of these would be greatly appreciated. Jon, do let us know what you finally choose, and, please, pictures or it didn't happen!

Last edited:

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
I am looking for new tires as well and the BFG K02's at LT285/70R17 116 /113Q look like the winner for me.
Hummm... If you are going from a stock 265/60R18 (what was on my Lariat) which are 30.5" in diameter, and going to a 285/70R17 you will be at 32.7" diameter... which is BIGGER than my summer wheels and tire combo of 275/55R20s at 31.9" diameter (Note: Off set difference not accounted for here OEM: 55ET, the Fuels 20ET). And I had to change crash bar "things" (can't think of the correct name) to prevent rubbing. Not sure of with stock offset that will be a issue or not...

BUT IF it is, they are a PITA to install and another $220+ added to the cost of the tire swap.

OP
OP
jedirulez

jedirulez

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I am leaning towards the BF Goodrich KO2s - although I think I will drop down to 17" wheels (probably the raptor wheels) and then be able to do 265/70R17 tires.
I won't be doing difficult off-roading, no rock-crawling or anything like that. I am more concerned about reliability then capability if that makes sense.
Also I mentioned it is my daily driver, but I don't really drive daily right now and won't through the end of the year at least (thanks covid lol) - I am still under 5000 miles and its almost been a year since I got the truck.

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I am leaning towards the BF Goodrich KO2s - although I think I will drop down to 17" wheels (probably the raptor wheels) and then be able to do 265/70R17 tires.
I won't be doing difficult off-roading, no rock-crawling or anything like that. I am more concerned about reliability then capability if that makes sense.
Also I mentioned it is my daily driver, but I don't really drive daily right now and won't through the end of the year at least (thanks covid lol) - I am still under 5000 miles and its almost been a year since I got the truck.
Put the 265/70/17 C load KO2's on my XLT FX4 in March. with almost 4000 miles I am happy with them. They are decent in the snow and on the forest service roads and two track here in Wyoming. Haven't really gotten them in serious mud so dont't know how that is.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I just bought a set for $500 from a friend moving and it brought me to this board to get that answer. You'll need wheels with at minimum -12 offset and to cut out the crash bars or get new ones.

Jacdschu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat
Occupation
Builder of Metal
I have the Ford Fox shocks as well on my Lariat with 18" wheels. What is the biggest tire I can put on the stock wheel with the 2" lift? Also wanting a little wider tire. How wide can I go with the stock wheels?
I dont want to modify the crash bars.

Thanks!

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I have the Ford Fox shocks as well on my Lariat with 18" wheels. What is the biggest tire I can put on the stock wheel with the 2" lift? Also wanting a little wider tire. How wide can I go with the stock wheels?
I dont want to modify the crash bars.

Thanks!
Well I have 275/70r18s On a 2.5 inch level and they rubbed When the truck was in reverse. All good after installing after market crash bars. (What a pain in the ass that was). They also sat very close to the knuckle. Close enough that it made me uncomfortable and I added a 1 inch spacer. So just going by that I’d go smaller than a 275 given the information you provided.
Sponsored