Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil tx for your insight ...... what exactly does the 150k and 90 percentile testing mean / entail ? Does Ford go over and above other mfgs in its vehicle test programs ? Tx John
HI John,

I am happy you brought up this question as it has several aspects of which I will address a few.

Okay...a 90 percentile customer runs a mining company, a courtier service in Los Angeles stop and go traffic, servicing oil rigs in an oil field. In other words, beating the crap out of the truck way beyond what you would imagine. We instrument vehicles in these environments for loads, accelerations and stess/strains. From this we calculate cumulative fatigue damage and from this data we refine our durability to mirror 150,000 of the vehicles we see after the users turn them in to us. I suspect you do not beat the shit out of your vehicle every day like these users do. So 90 percentile means there are 10% worse customers that are above to which we strive to meet at 150,000 miles. This is why I am proud when 4G Rangers report 200 to 300, 000 miles in their Rangers before they sell them.

So...lets talk durability testing. This is not one truck that we test. It is program specific but encompasses quite a few vehicles. Each Prototype vehicle built goes through a sign off process.
Notice is sent to each design engineer for each vehicle to sign off their components. This is a pain for the engineers as it disrupts their day and many do not sign off the prototypes except for durability prototypes as a component failure or anomaly results in their devotion to the problem, So NVH vehicle...yeah...yada, yada...the NVH people will sort it out. Durability...not on your life will you get a pass if a problem is identified... So each prototype vehicle gets a Hoist review in the Experimental Garage. There is a documented process that each system is a go for Durability testing...maybe over time 12 to 15 vehicles depending...(numbers change per program) but not just one vehicle. Engineers visit, inspect and more importantly ensure that proper torque is applied to their attachment fasteners. Example is the rear axle suspension engineer. He/she will request a torque check on the build. Then the engineer signs off. So if there is a problem and the durability flags an issue, and there is no sign off recorded from the engineer, he will catch hell from his boss on up the chain. Durability signoffs are not take lightly or blown off for the most part.

Okay, I may have told this before...On the PN96 program, F Series redesign. I was in CAE at the time and alerted to a dash panel cracking around the brake booster. Almost impossible to see, but I recalled the Miserable Mustang II dash cracking on manual trans vehicles, I request a review of all durability vehicles...The test engineer in Arizona protested but in the end they developed a system to inspect the vehicles. Almost 95% of the test vehicles had cracks. So I marched over to the Body Engineering Supervisor...a good guy and delivered the results, which I backed up with CAE analysis. I could have taken arrows in the back but Matt had his act together, and between our CAE input and his direction to his engineers we strengthened the dash panel (I know...you call it a firewall). Today when I see a PN96 vintage vehicle on the road, I know it is a sound vehicle... PN 96 was job #1 1996, but the 96 has no bearing on model year, purely a coincidence.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I test drove a STX package yesterday. I really liked it. It would not be the one I get, but I wanted to get a feel for the power/transmission.

What I like about the Ranger from everything I've read and especially from Phil Schilke , the platform is proven. The Ecoboost is a very good engine, as is the transmission. I also like the durability testing Ford is known for. I'm sure they all do that, but Ford puts it out there.

I also like that you can get the Ford tune for it which bumps the power up, something I'd consider at some point. The towing and payload are also best in class.

I'll have to decide on whether the Tremor is worth it over the FX-4. FX-4 is more inline with the performance level of the Nissan Pro 4x, Colorado Z71 and Tacoma TRD Off Road. Not great, but sufficient. The Tremor seems like a worthy option, just not sure I need that. Either way, I really liked the truck.

Falan

First Name
Hip To Be Sqaure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired Army
Hi, new to the group. I've been in the market for a mid-size truck. I've done some basic research on all the options - ZR2, Tacoma, Nissan....Ranger. I feel the Ranger is underrated compared to the others, at least per the mainstream press (Edmunds/Car and Driver etc.).

I was wondering what the reliability is of the Ranger and if the powertrain is solid? Based on what I've read, the 2.3L Ecoboost and 10 speed automatic are a gem in this class. Reliable and plenty of power.

I will be using this truck for just basic house needs and weekend off-roading trips. The FX-4 should be fine, but I'm tempted by the Tremor package.

I drove a Tacoma and it was one of the worst driving vehicles I've ever driven. That was the truck I was going for, until I drove it. The ZR2 is really nice, but GM has a poor 8 speed automatic with issues. Some say the new fluid helps, but I'm not convinced.

That leaves me with the Ranger. Is the Ranger due for a complete redesign soon? If so I could hold off until year end.

Thank you in advance!
Just bought mine and it really came down between the Ranger and the Colorado. I use to own a F150 ecoboost FX4. Thought I would share this video. Remember the Ranger has the best payload and towing in its class. Ford F150 Ecoboost Torture Test Episodes 1 6 High Quality - YouTube

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Quality is one of my top priorities in choosing a vehicle. According to my personal experience with the Ranger, I agree with the following report:

JD Power and Associates rated the 2020 Ranger #2 out of 10 Trucks: 2020 Ford Ranger – J.D. Power Award Winner in Initial Quality! (This rating should probably be applicable to the 2019's thru the 2021's since they are branded alike*). 1st place went to: 1. 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty – Highest Pickup Truck in Quality According to Consumers!
Top-Rated 2020 Trucks in Quality According to Consumers | J.D. Power
*My remark

Last edited:

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned our truck since 2019 & I'm still impressed with the overall build quality, performance, mileage & general driving. We got the XLT & it's more truck than we wanted to buy, but used with 400 miles, it was too good to pass up. The extra features are nice (bun warmers for cold mornings, retracting mirrors for parking lots, better stereo, etc.) & it was a great deal. The drive train is good, we've towed our small camper with it getting decent gas results.

All in all, it's a great truck, solid, quiet, powerful & comfortable on the road. I would buy it again.

Viscerol

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Mortician
Hello there. New forum member here.
You will not regret getting a Ranger. I just purchased a 2020 Lariat optioned to the max (minus the towing package) for 39k out the door. You can still find 2020’s. The total rebates on my truck were $6,500.

I have had 3 consecutive turbo’s prior to this truck. It will last if you take care of it. My suggestion is to start it up and let it get settled before driving off, and don’t pull in the yard and cut it hard. Let it sit for a second.

I am averaging 23.0 mpg’s for the first 850 miles on this truck (probably a little off - using trucks computer)

I do think this truck is misunderstood. Drive it like it was designed and it’s very rewarding. The transmission stays happy and will not hunt for gears. Plenty of power down low, and 10 speeds to keep you in the sweet spot.
- Ryan

Grooge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
If you are tempted by the Tremor, then go for it. It is a one year package offering. It probably won't be offered on the next generation, and there are strong rumors that the next gen will have a Ranger Raptor in 2023 or 2024.

Next generation should have a lot in common with the new F-150. Even though the look is changing to look like a mini F-150, many expect the biggest improvements are expected to update the interior, and additional engine options.

For me, I choose the Tremor, and haven't stopped smiling. I love the look, the ride, and the fun that the truck delivers.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a STX package yesterday. I really liked it. It would not be the one I get, but I wanted to get a feel for the power/transmission.

What I like about the Ranger from everything I've read and especially from Phil Schilke , the platform is proven. The Ecoboost is a very good engine, as is the transmission. I also like the durability testing Ford is known for. I'm sure they all do that, but Ford puts it out there.

I also like that you can get the Ford tune for it which bumps the power up, something I'd consider at some point. The towing and payload are also best in class.

I'll have to decide on whether the Tremor is worth it over the FX-4. FX-4 is more inline with the performance level of the Nissan Pro 4x, Colorado Z71 and Tacoma TRD Off Road. Not great, but sufficient. The Tremor seems like a worthy option, just not sure I need that. Either way, I really liked the truck.
TF, I’m a FX4 owner. Ordered it to my specs in 2019. Since I’ve had this truck, I lost 40 lbs, my hair grew back in, and my IQ went up 60 points. So there’s that. Love my Ranger. Either Tremor or FX4, you can’t go wrong either way.

Heezy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
They didn’t have any fx4 when I bought mine so I got the 20 xlt sport 4x4. Added the leveling kit, terrain management switch and skid plates. Only thing it doesn’t have is the trial control. You will love the truck it’s great.

Tremor21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 21 Explorer, 21 Bronco Sport
If you are tempted by the Tremor, then go for it. It is a one year package offering. It probably won't be offered on the next generation, and there are strong rumors that the next gen will have a Ranger Raptor in 2023 or 2024.

Next generation should have a lot in common with the new F-150. Even though the look is changing to look like a mini F-150, many expect the biggest improvements are expected to update the interior, and additional engine options.

For me, I choose the Tremor, and haven't stopped smiling. I love the look, the ride, and the fun that the truck delivers.
Agree with Grooge! I just picked up my Tremor a week ago. Great truck and hits the sweet spot for capability and looks. I had always driven (and modified) F-150s (and other cars) but decided on the Tremor because of its size (I don't want or need a full-sizer anymore), and the fact that it had from the factory everything I would do to mod it to get it to the desired capability and look I was after. I love to mod but decided to retire from wrenching after throwing my back out a few times and not being able to walk for a few days after!

Recommend the OP go with the Ranger - the other mid-sized Truck are all really good (or better than the Ranger in some categories), but in my opinion the Ranger is the most "balanced" and best looking mid-sized Truck. And Ford trucks .... they just "work"!

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab

For what it's worth, 2kish more for the Tremor package is worth it imo if you already want the FX4 and plan on doing a bit of offroading. I think the Tremor is what should have been sold as the FX4 originally..... It's kind of unfortunate most of us who have the FX4 option and plan on doing offroading will more than likely have to spend a bit more for a leveling kit which will run you an additional 1300. If you dont have a garage or ability to do the work yourself, thats another 500 or so for install, and then another 150 for alignment.

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
My brother is a dealer tech and reports no issues with the Ranger. The drivetrain has been "tested" by numerous Mustang owners prior to it going in the Ranger. I got an XL and honestly it's more posh than I would have expected. I keep discovering new features. Remote power mirrors, huh? And that collision warning thing, which I discovered when snow was blocking the sensor. I like the push buttons around the screen, since I now have finger memory and don't get distracted answering a call etc. I have enough touch screens to deal with already!

I wouldn't worry about any redesign. Ford might mess it up after all. Have you been inside the new f150? I went in to buy one, but the interior quality really turned me off. The ancient Australian Ranger was much nicer. I looked at the Chevy but that interior was even worse, and who wants that GM roll of the dice on quality? The Frontier was no bargain considering how old it is, and the Tacoma, like you OP I liked it until I drove it.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
If you're planning on doing suspension later down the road just get a FX4, the Tremor is nice and I like the suspension but I'm not a big fan of extra accents and graphics, and I especially don't like where they put the auxiliary switches. But to each their own

I was actually debating on getting a 4x4 before getting the fx4 but I really wanted the terrain management, trail control, and skid plates:facepalm:I would've got a xl fx4 but 2019 required xlt or lariat.

But no matter what ranger you get I'm sure you won't be disappointed. ?And whenever another mid-size truck tries to pass you on the ramp? just take that W?

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Are the new frontiers available? I’d like to check those out. I love my Ranger. Get a lariat if you get one.

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Are the new frontiers available? I’d like to check those out. I love my Ranger. Get a lariat if you get one.
This summer. They look promising but the engine/transmission are only 2 years old so there is no long term reliability data for them.
Sponsored