Thinking about super cab. Need advice

Robby

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Personally I like the look of the super cab better. I’m concerned with the actual room in the back seat. Some pictures I see it looks tiny, some look like there’s plenty of room. I stopped after hours at a local dealership and looked in the window and looked like a decent amount of room. More than my 2000 xtra cab Tacoma for sure. I don’t get off in time to go by and actually sit in one. Does anyone have pictures of adults sitting in the back? Or if you have one how do you like it? Do you wish you would’ve got the 4 door?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Robby

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Also, I have an extended cab 05 f150 and there’s is plenty of room for 4 adults. Even went on a 10 hour trip before with 4 adults. No problem

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Every review I have come across emphasizes that the supercab rear seats are not comfortable for adults. Others here may provide more input regarding child seats, but those straight seat backs look very uncomfortable for all other passengers. Short trips on occasion may be ok, otherwise you will probably want the crew cab.

TX-Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab 2wd Lightning Blue/302A package/trailer tow/spray in bedliner
Have not tried to stick an adult in the back as of yet. I would say there is room, but the seats look to be not comfortable at all. Short trips would probably be ok. My 2 twenty pound dogs get along fine back there though :blush:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I think I bought a SuperCab Ranger.
Think of it as a coupe as opposed to a sedan.
I have sat in the back seat and found it tolerable for day trips.
I'm 6ft tall and 67 YO.

I have a 1995 Mustang and a 1980 Pinto.
The Ranger has as much room as either...More if you consider seat height and legroom.

Another point... Leg room... it has 4" less leg room than the sedan Ranger, but I found that I need the driver's seat several inches forward for a comfortable driving position.Front passenger has a lot of legroom to sacrifice for the occasional rear seat passenger.
At 5'2" my wife finds the rear seats quite tolerable.
I would gladly ride in the back for day trips but 1200 miles to Florida would be a challenge.

The most difficult part of the back seat of any coupe is access or egress. The Ranger is a little better because it has a suicide door and no "B" pillar in the way.

The Coupe has only Two Bucket style seats in the back whereas the Sedan has a bench with three seating positions. I am sure that a passenger in the back seat of the coupe would be more comfortable than the center passenger in the sedan any day.
There is room between the seats in the coupe to place an arm rest/console which would add considerable comfort IMO. I have a "Console/ Armrest/ cooler which I will put in place when carrying passengers.

A rational assessment of the two choices will reveal advantages and drawbacks to either design. This is great because it allows each buyer to pick what best serves his purpose.
I chose the coupe because it best serves the purpose for which I will use it...
Great space for the two of us when traveling to keep our stuff accessible.
Advantage over our regular cab in that respect.
Also it allows full recline of the front seat and the regular cab did not.
The sacrifice there is the long wheelbase and the added weight.

So, any thing you buy will likely involve some compromise, whether it is space,box size, cost, convenience, performance, etc.
Ultimately it is a blessing to have so many choices, you just have to pick what serves you best overall.
Me? I just wish they would deliver the one I ordered!

Last edited:

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I just picked up my SuperCab last night after ordering late January and am quite excited! We got it to put a shell on for gear/sleeping so wanted the larger bed over people transport and if anything, the back seat would be for a dog. It's definitely a trade-off, but there is more room than it looks. I would test it out yourself.

I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'5". We adjusted the seats for ourselves and drove around then tried the backseat leg room. She had ok legroom while my knees were going a bit on the outside of the front seats. I could fit with the doors closed, but not by a lot. As long as you don't try to transport 4 tall people, short trips should be ok. In terms of the seat back, it's definitely very straight vertical. Not sure how comfy it'd be for multiple hours.

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
I had the seats removed from mine because 1) I didn't need them and 2) they're basically useless anyway.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I had the seats removed from mine because 1) I didn't need them and 2) they're basically useless anyway.
Did you get the replacement trim or just take them out? I am sorry I did not order mine without the seats. Will probably just take them out.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It would be tight and uncomfortable for adults; I certainly don't fit well at 6'1". 4 smaller people would fit more easily, but the back has no angle and would probably get pretty uncomfortable. No regrets: I have other vehicles for hauling people--this one is for stuff and I valued a 6 foot bed more than the back seat. If I did plan on regularly driving more than 2 adults I would not have gotten the supercab. I do throw a kid in the back now and then, and it's nice to have a couple of extra seats for emergencies and extra space the rest of the time. I had toyed with getting a standard cab (obviously not a ranger or any modern midsize) but decided that wouldn't have quite enough flexibility for unplanned situations--in the old days you could cram 5 people onto the bench or put some in the bed if you really needed to, but those days are gone.

As far as the f150 extended cab, remember it's about 20 inches longer than the ranger overall, and at least some of that is in the passenger compartment.

Also, could we stop derailing every single thread with the truck Floyd hasn't gotten?

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
It would be tight and uncomfortable for adults; I certainly don't fit well at 6'1". 4 smaller people would fit more easily, but the back has no angle and would probably get pretty uncomfortable. No regrets: I have other vehicles for hauling people--this one is for stuff and I valued a 6 foot bed more than the back seat. If I did plan on regularly driving more than 2 adults I would not have gotten the supercab. I do throw a kid in the back now and then, and it's nice to have a couple of extra seats for emergencies and extra space the rest of the time. I had toyed with getting a standard cab (obviously not a ranger or any modern midsize) but decided that wouldn't have quite enough flexibility for unplanned situations--in the old days you could cram 5 people onto the bench or put some in the bed if you really needed to, but those days are gone.

As far as the f150 extended cab, remember it's about 20 inches longer than the ranger overall, and at least some of that is in the passenger compartment.

Also, could we stop derailing every single thread with the truck Floyd hasn't gotten?
Well to be fair, he hasn't derailed the "Rear Car Seat and Occupant Safety Question" thread....yet. :)

OP just needs to go check one out. I know he said he doesn't get off in time to go sit in one..but he'll absolutely have to get off in time to go buy one or order one so where there is a will there is a way. Tons of threads on here showing the back seat room. It'll range from not too bad for small to average adults to short trips only as the human size increases. If transporting 4+ full size adults is priority, get the the super crew. If bed size and transporting full size adults is priority, get an F150.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I like the look of the super cab better. I’m concerned with the actual room in the back seat. Some pictures I see it looks tiny, some look like there’s plenty of room. I stopped after hours at a local dealership and looked in the window and looked like a decent amount of room. More than my 2000 xtra cab Tacoma for sure. I don’t get off in time to go by and actually sit in one. Does anyone have pictures of adults sitting in the back? Or if you have one how do you like it? Do you wish you would’ve got the 4 door?
I made that mistake when I bought a 2017 Tacoma since my old Ranger died in 2016 and there was no New Ranger to get into! I remedied that when I bought my New Ranger in Feb! SuperCrew and useable room for 4 Adults!

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
Did you get the replacement trim or just take them out? I am sorry I did not order mine without the seats. Will probably just take them out.
I got an XL with the rear seat delete option. I didn't care for all the internal comfort options and explicitly wanted the vinyl flooring. That required XL and allowed for the rear seat delete. It saved me 240 dollars so I sprung for the rear glass upgrade for 225. I saved 15 bucks on the deal ;)

Last edited:

Claudess

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I just got my Supercab on Tuesday. Waited 13-14 weeks. I think it looks better than the crew. I need the tailgate space and I also have an F250 supercab and am used to it.

I will try to climb in back tomorrow.

OP
OP

Robby

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Ok I drove a Supercab yesterday and loved it. Although the back seats are very tight. I’m 5’ 10” and 200lbs pretty average size. I sat in both front seats and adjusted them to be where I was comfortable. I then got in each back seat, I was comfortable in the passenger back seat to where I would be fine for a 2-3 hour trip. The driver side back seat was unusable unless you adjusted the driver seat to where you were slightly uncomfortable. So if traveling over 3hours this is a 2 man truck. If traveling 3 hours or less it’s a 3 man truck. Hope this helps someone, also plenty of room for kids car seat on back passenger side.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I got an XL with the rear seat delete option. I didn't care for all the internal comfort options and explicitly wanted the final flooring. That required XL and allowed for the rear seat delete. It saved me 240 dollars so I sprung for the rear glass upgrade for 225. I saved 15 bucks on the deal ;)
That's why I ordered the XL Supercab. Carpet has no place in a truck.

I kept rear seats and got the rear slider. Apparently my dogs have standards.
Sponsored