First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I don't think any tune is worth $14K. I think you could do a 2.7L swap for less than that, even if you paid a shop to do it. :)
For that much coin... a Coyote motor would be my choice..
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'm really curious how any of the mods you had installed would be detrimental to that motor? Tuning....ok, but mods installed? "All the mods".....that's a pword response from those idiots!
As always...IMHO ;)
You don't understand how things like a full TBE exhaust, or intake can effect a/f ratios, cause detonation, preignition, and ultimately grenade an engine?

If you don't you probably shouldn't be modding your truck.

Of course, "all the mods" is a BS response. He deserves a better answer than "unnatural causes" when he paid for the autopsy. But the mods he has listed, tune included, could definately destroy an engine, especially if not accounted for in the tune.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
OK guys, we’re going off topic again... I received a low oil pressure light, when the clanking motor started... Ford asked if I had a “check engine” light before hand... No... keep it on topic ?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Forum queen :LOL:
I like it when people stick up for themselves. Good for you and good luck with Stage 3. A lot of people with tunes are monitoring this thread.
That’s funny that you caught that, because I was giggling to myself as I typed Forum Queen... I understand everyone’s sides on this topic. I’m not trying to gain anything from this, I just want a fair shot... ?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You don't understand how things like a full TBE exhaust, or intake can effect a/f ratios, cause detonation, preignition, and ultimately grenade an engine?

Of course, "all the mods" is a BS response. He deserves a better answer than "unnatural causes" when he paid for the autopsy. But the mods he has listed, tune included, could definately destroy an engine, especially if not accounted for in the tune.
With that being said, about adding cold air intake, etc. I did request a new “flash” to upgrade my software for all my new components added. Every time I upgraded my engine, I upgraded my soft ware.. Just saying...

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With that being said, about adding cold air intake, etc. I did request a new “flash” to upgrade my software for all my new components added. Every time I upgraded my engine, I upgraded my soft ware.. Just saying...
I also own a Golf R with an APR Stage 2+ Tune, with an AWE Tuning exhaust and hidden button inside to flow full exhaust... I think I know what I’m doing D Fresh... just saying

Last edited:

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
UPDATE: after running circles around with Ford Dealer Mac Haik and Ford Customer Service, no one giving me pictures of said damage, no return phone calls etc.. and the still, blanket sweep of “all the mods”, I’ve reached out to Stage 3 Motorsports for some help... I’m currently working with the President of Stage 3 Motorsports and he’s gathering information... It’s refreshing to work with someone that responds to your emails etc... Ford had quoted me $14,107 for a new stock engine with parts and labor included, to regain my Ford Warranty... as I said before, I’ll keep you updated as I find out more...
If you paid for an autopsy on the engine and further investigation then i'm quite surprised that you haven't received specific feedback on that. Typically when you pay for that investigation the tech an service manager will call you in when they are at the end of it and discuss it next to the vehicle and show you what they find.

However, based on pretty much the entirety of your posts on this thread (before you sanitized your previous posts heavily to remove the "feelings" and "dood, trust me, I do car things, I just know" BS), i'm willing to bet they are well and truly tired of dealing with you. Please note this is not a personal insult, it's a dispassionate observation. As a business owner I have plenty of clients who also come in with that sort of anecdotal "ammo" as the foundation for their arguments. It gets tiresome after the second go-around and when it hits the seventh, you're ready to send them to collections and 86 the engagement just to rid yourself of the administrative waste and future waste as you know this is enjoyable for the customer. Ford might play ball if it goes high enough and they think there's a risk, but it seems fairly open and shut at this point. Still, surprised they didn't share the investigation results with you regardless of the personalities.

Where the proof is in the pudding will be where Stage 3 goes with this. They have a very clear and obvious limitation on what they can do. If they were willing to dump in a new motor for you I would be absolutely shocked and surprised. But what happens if they say their hands are tied will probably devolve quickly into the second paragraph above. A quick guess would be a refund or offer on future services for a specified value to "make you whole" from their end.

Tuners aren't responsible for your vehicle after it leaves their facilities/possession. They can't be. I've stood by while a tuner blew up a motor as they dyno tuned it. Customer did all the work, it's their fault, not the tuner. It happens. Not 3 hours before that they almost blew my Evo motor after a wastegate failure sent boost into infinity and beyond (still hold the record for most PSI and whp on a stock turbo 4g63t without blowing the motor in their shop!). Shop owner turned to me and said "that was close, you almost bought a new engine!". My cold response of "no, you almost built me a new engine for free as you took possession of the vehicle, strapped it down, then did the wastegate install through your parts and labor and that labor was the fault while you continued to own possession of a clients car they didnt' touch, the failure and fault was yours".... (shit eating grin on my side, pale face of sudden understanding on his).

You see, there IS a difference between right and wrong, liability and responsibility. In this case, you're fishing for a refund from 3-star and Ford has no reason to help you further. But none of that will matter to you and none of that will sink in. This will ALWAYS be a Ford and 3-star issue to you and you'll walk from their products because you've "been wronged"..... Perception isn't always reality.

Like the ending of all 172 episodes of Three's Company, it's all just one big misunderstanding. Right?

Certainly, there's a lot that can go wrong there! Typically the service tech isn't one to make that call for warranty denial once the regional service rep is involved. It will be interesting to see where this ends up, but it's pretty clear Ford has their understanding of events.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I also own a Golf R with an APR Stage 2+ Tune, with an AWE Tuning exhaust and hidden button inside to flow full exhaust... I think I know what I’m doing D Fresh... just saying
I understand that you requested new maps, and thought you received them. I do remember you saying that.

Who's to say you actually received new maps? Maybe they just sent you a "new" map that was exactly the same.

How were those new tunes developed? Were the same parts strapped on a shop truck to develop a map, or did their "tuners" simply throw a WAG at the effects of a downpipe, etc?

My response was not aimed at you. It was aimed at TXQuailGuy as he did not believe that your mod list was even capable of causing damage.

Certainly, there's a lot that can go wrong there! Typically the service tech isn't one to make that call for warranty denial once the regional service rep is involved. It will be interesting to see where this ends up, but it's pretty clear Ford has their understanding of events.
All I know is I if paid for the teardown and fault detection I'd be pissed if the answer was "all the mods".

I've got a feeling that we aren't getting the whole truth.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
If you paid for an autopsy on the engine and further investigation then i'm quite surprised that you haven't received specific feedback on that. Typically when you pay for that investigation the tech an service manager will call you in when they are at the end of it and discuss it next to the vehicle and show you what they find.

However, based on pretty much the entirety of your posts on this thread (before you sanitized your previous posts heavily to remove the "feelings" and "dood, trust me, I do car things, I just know" BS), i'm willing to bet they are well and truly tired of dealing with you. Please note this is not a personal insult, it's a dispassionate observation. As a business owner I have plenty of clients who also come in with that sort of anecdotal "ammo" as the foundation for their arguments. It gets tiresome after the second go-around and when it hits the seventh, you're ready to send them to collections and 86 the engagement just to rid yourself of the administrative waste and future waste as you know this is enjoyable for the customer. Ford might play ball if it goes high enough and they think there's a risk, but it seems fairly open and shut at this point. Still, surprised they didn't share the investigation results with you regardless of the personalities.

Where the proof is in the pudding will be where Stage 3 goes with this. They have a very clear and obvious limitation on what they can do. If they were willing to dump in a new motor for you I would be absolutely shocked and surprised. But what happens if they say their hands are tied will probably devolve quickly into the second paragraph above. A quick guess would be a refund or offer on future services for a specified value to "make you whole" from their end.

Tuners aren't responsible for your vehicle after it leaves their facilities/possession. They can't be. I've stood by while a tuner blew up a motor as they dyno tuned it. Customer did all the work, it's their fault, not the tuner. It happens. Not 3 hours before that they almost blew my Evo motor after a wastegate failure sent boost into infinity and beyond (still hold the record for most PSI and whp on a stock turbo 4g63t without blowing the motor in their shop!). Shop owner turned to me and said "that was close, you almost bought a new engine!". My cold response of "no, you almost built me a new engine for free as you took possession of the vehicle, strapped it down, then did the wastegate install through your parts and labor and that labor was the fault while you continued to own possession of a clients car they didnt' touch, the failure and fault was yours".... (shit eating grin on my side, pale face of sudden understanding on his).

You see, there IS a difference between right and wrong, liability and responsibility. In this case, you're fishing for a refund from 3-star and Ford has no reason to help you further. But none of that will matter to you and none of that will sink in. This will ALWAYS be a Ford and 3-star issue to you and you'll walk from their products because you've "been wronged"..... Perception isn't always reality.

Like the ending of all 172 episodes of Three's Company, it's all just one big misunderstanding. Right?

AFAIK he paid for the Stage 3 tune insurance. If so there is a document somewhere describing what exactly are it’s limitations. I’d hate to see the OP just rollover because some Ford service manager isn’t a people person.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HI Folks,

Okay...I have taken a backseat to this tread, even the off tangent stuff.

Before I take a nice Scotch night cap.

1. There are folks that want root cause analysis...including me.
2. There are folks with tunes that are fearful of the same outcome and being in the same boat, Costly on their nickle.
3. There are folks questioning the OP's demeanor with the dealer.
4. there are folks questioning the Dealers demeanor with OP.
5. there are folks questioning the timing of the results and wondering if this whole thing is true.
6. there are folks questioning why Torrie has not weighed in. Maybe waiting for Root Cause?
7. there are folks that want to know why a field service Engineer is not involved...me included.
8. there are folks that want to know Ford's position on aftermarket tunes...me included.
9. Did Op run the engine with out oil?

Right now we do not know if a rod was thrown. Was a bearing spun? Did a rod bolt break. Did the rod snap? Was there block damage? So on and so on.

Those of you with a tune have a pucker factor of which you have to deal and the need to justify it will not happen to you.

Where this goes will take some time and the OPs postings. Sad he is experiencing this, but to shoot him as the root cause remains to be seen. We really need an unbiased 3rd party...which does not exist....

The thing is there are now a ton of tuned Rangers running around without any problems.

I am leaning toward a base engine problem (Ford fault) and a very, very, very rare problem that the OP suffered.

Okay....Time for a Single Malt Scotch night cap!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored