port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
So you posted it three different places?
Yeah, my bad... I was trying to get as much feed back as possible, didn’t know if I should post under general, then I saw a thread on engines etc... I apologize, I just barely post on forums.. but I do appreciate everyone’s thoughts... Eventually, I’ll find out what path I’m heading down and keep everyone updated....

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I merged the three threads a few mins ago....

As a general FYI, please don't post the same content in multiple forums and/or threads.
Thank you!! ? my bad

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from anecdotal feelings: I am curious how it is you determined that it is not the aftermarket tuning which had a detrimental effect on the motor?

The parameters modified by modern engine tuning have as dramatic of an impact on the operation of the engine as it's factory tune can have.

As any auditor worth their salt will say "Trust is not an internal control".

Full disclosure: I had a Mitsubishi Evolution track car which was heavily modified and played with the tune constantly based on track layout, so i'm not one of those "keep all vehicles stock, the manufacturer knows best in all things" people. But I really haven't seen anything you've posted which would remove the aftermarket tune as a likely culprit at this stage of the process and based on the facts currently known.
To be honest with you, I don’t track my cars with programmable software from my end... why I don’t think it’s the tune, is that I had installed at 5,000 miles, and dynoed... and everything looked good... so unless something changed, I never had a check engine light come on... it just went... I’m currently at 20,000 miles... So, I’m assuming it’s not the tune

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok since no one has pointed out the obvious. If you share photos of your truck on here (like your avatar *cough cough* OP) - it is not unheard of for dealership employees to snoop on well known platform websites trying to connect the dots when they have suspicions....

Not to mention having morbid dickhead members who might figure out your locale info and ratting you out. Why? Because some people are just pieces of shit thats why. It could be as simple as jealousy of having money to modify your vehicle more than them or some other simple minded reason for being a butthole sniffer.
?? Thank you’ I’ll keep that in mind...

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, you guys are cracking me up... I took my truck back to where I bought it... My salesman is now in financing, and he knows I’m running a tune, and I have a 5 Star Tuning decal on my windshield... and I let him drive it... he knows... The Dealership knows, and is pulling for me, and thinks that Ford should cover it... Their expression was that it seemed like a mechanical failure, vs the tune... My wife has been fielding the phone calls, as I sleep for graveyards... she asked me about a “Dongle Thingy” saying they couldn’t recognize my truck... which is why I thought I should have flashed it back to stock... I left the tune on, not trying to be deceptive to those that are questioning my ethics... I just don’t know if they can’t read everything unless I flash it back?? They requested a charge of about $1686.00 to start tearing into the engine... Ford requested pictures etc... so I’ll update everyone as I find out more.. guess we’ll see how this turns out... gonna go get me some popcorn too hahaha

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Ugh, 12 pages of non-sense to find out nothing! It's like watching hyped-up blockbuster movie only to be left pissed off at the end.

Good luck, OP.
Well then, go out and blowup your engine so we can harp on you too. Honestly we’re not particular

951D4600-B1F9-4117-B8FE-C42C0A7E0A04.jpeg

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ugh, 12 pages of non-sense to find out nothing! It's like watching hyped-up blockbuster movie only to be left pissed off at the end.

Good luck, OP.
You think 12 pages is bad (so do I)? Look at the fuel in oil thread, what's that one up to, page 4000?

I wish the OP good luck, I've never had it when it comes to vehicles.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
What are you seeing as the primary failure mode on the Stang forums? Just broken rods and pistons from non-vigilant owners or is something else at work like a weak link somewhere?
I think it's a combination of things in the mustang world. First, it's a semi closed deck block. Just not as strong as the 2 litre block that you mentioned later. Second, they like really good gas. A bad tank of gas can really hurt. I'm not tuned yet, but I've run nothing but 93 since I bought mine. Stock, the motors pull 19-20 pounds of boost. When tuned, tuners like to push the timing a bit and crank up the boost to 25,6,7 pounds or so. Now many guys know that, and they plan to build something bulletproof if their stock motor blows, which is okay. When I start throwing parts at mine (hopefully this spring), I'm not going to expect to have Ford replace it if something goes wrong. In my opinion, most of those guys though just hop em up, beat the hell out of them, then blame it on Ford when it comes apart. Again, not talking about this case, but what I've seen with the mustangs.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I think it's a combination of things in the mustang world. First, it's a semi closed deck block. Just not as strong as the 2 litre block that you mentioned later. Second, they like really good gas. A bad tank of gas can really hurt. I'm not tuned yet, but I've run nothing but 93 since I bought mine. Stock, the motors pull 19-20 pounds of boost. When tuned, tuners like to push the timing a bit and crank up the boost to 25,6,7 pounds or so. Now many guys know that, and they plan to build something bulletproof if their stock motor blows, which is okay. When I start throwing parts at mine (hopefully this spring), I'm not going to expect to have Ford replace it if something goes wrong. In my opinion, most of those guys though just hop em up, beat the hell out of them, then blame it on Ford when it comes apart. Again, not talking about this case, but what I've seen with the mustangs.
Yeah, that seems to be the prevailing trend with these types of tuned and even stock motors. Bad gas, too much knock, powder forged rods, etc. I'm in general agreement with you that your own wallet is the best source of insurance on a tuned engine. Pick up a built block, find someone to install, and be vigilant about monitoring datalogs, and it should last a long time.
Sponsored