Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Ugh, I had my last eye exam a few weeks ago and decided that I wanted sunglasses in addition to my progressives. I have not worn sunglasses in 20 years ...

The cost is outrageous but in line with eyeglasses, unfortunately.

BUT ... when I got them, the edges were acting weird when walking the dog. I could see glare off of ice from the corners of the glasses but not when looking straight on. Turns out that the polarizing I ordered is applied as a film to the lenses and can be pulled too tight. That resulted in no coverage at the corners of the lenses.

I finally discovered that if I hold them up to a computer, or phone with a bright screen, you can clearly see the coverage, or lack of.

They first said that it's normal to have some of this but then I showed them the very similar ones my wife also got - no coverage issues, perfect from edge to edge - they ordered me another set.

The new lenses came in and they said they fixed it, I went in last Friday to get them. I held them up to my phone and it was better but it was still there and still an issue. We love to kayak and seeing out of the corners of our glasses is important (to see in the water and to see things like out marine radios).

I told them I would not accept them and they're trying for a third time now.

Glasses are too expensive to not get them right.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I’m just waiting for my cataracts to grow so I can have corrective surgery and get rid of my glasses. I’m giving it some time. It’s been about 2 (or 3) years since my last eye appointment. They ought to have grown some by now.?
Good plan Tracy. I had to wear glasses since I was 6, because of nearsightedness. Wore contacts till I neaded bifocals. When I had the cataracts done they corrected me for distance. Whole new world, now I can wear any sunglasses I want. Just use cheaters for reading.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Good plan Tracy. I had to wear glasses since I was 6, because of nearsightedness. Wore contacts till I neaded bifocals. When I had the cataracts done they corrected me for distance. Whole new world, now I can wear any sunglasses I want. Just use cheaters for reading.
Well…I recently had an eye exam and cataracts are no worse. So, said I wanted to try contacts. He told me I had waited a little too late in life (???what????‍♀)to try them now and he didn’t think I would be happy with them. So, stuck wearing glasses. Just waiting for these dang cataracts to get worse! :LOL:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I looked into laser correction. I wear bifocals but I have a sweet spot where I can read my phone, a book with regular print or a computer screen without any correction. If I corrected for distance it would have wiped it out an I'd need readers all the time.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I looked into laser correction. I wear bifocals but I have a sweet spot where I can read my phone, a book with regular print or a computer screen without any correction. If I corrected for distance it would have wiped it out an I'd need readers all the time.
I only need readers when I read, work on the computer or phone. I have good enough near vision to drive and do most work that isn't too close. Anything over about three feet is clear enough as long as the type is not too small. And they have new implants that can work like bifocals.

All I know is going from extremely nearsighted to farsighted was life changing, not to mention seeing how bright and colorful the world was again.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well…I recently had an eye exam and cataracts are no worse. So, said I wanted to try contacts. He told me I had waited a little too late in life (???what????‍♀)to try them now and he didn’t think I would be happy with them. So, stuck wearing glasses. Just waiting for these dang cataracts to get worse! :LOL:
Hi Tracy,

I was born with terrible vision nearsightedness. It was 1st grade before we knew how bad my eyes were. Best correction was about 20/40.... I was able to see leaves on trees for the first time and blades of grass in the lawn. I was regularly punished for not being able to see until my parents found out how bad my vision was... So wore glasses all my life..Then I had cataract surgery and lens replacement with Toric lenses...$2000 per eye as medicare only pays for standard lenses. My severe astigmatism was corrected. I now see 20/20 for the first time in my life...So distance vision is superb and I do not wear glasses anymore for distance vision. Now the bad part. I have no close up vision and I need readers of various strengths depending on what I am doing. This change as resulted in my closing my clock repair business after 47 years as I can no longer see the details I need without switching glasses depending on the detail needed....just too encumbering. Not much need for Clock repair these days anyway...dying trade. So at the computer, it is 1.25 readers...for the shop I have trifocals to try to stop the need to switch glasses but now I have a 3 diopter head gear for real close up work. So, in summary, the change ruined my close up vision... I cannot see clearly what is on my plate at dinner unless I wear readers which are never where I need them. I have litterally 15 pair of glasses strewn around the house and shop.
I had no choice as my cataracts were so bad I was in danger of not retaining my driver's license...

Wife had similar surgery and she had wonderful all around vision, so it works wonderful for her, not so for me... I do not wish to scare you but hopefully you will have a straight forward discussion with your eye doctor on plus and minus...hopefully your eyes are not as bad as mine are/were....

Best,
Phil

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
This change as resulted in my closing my clock repair business
Sorry to hear that Phil. I have a Tudor watch an I've watched a few watch repair videos on YouTube. Not because I want to attempt it but because it's so small an detailed it catches my interest.

My twins were born with poor vision. They played baseball before getting it corrected. Don't ask me how they hit a ball not seeing it until the last second.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tracy,

I was born with terrible vision nearsightedness. It was 1st grade before we knew how bad my eyes were. Best correction was about 20/40.... I was able to see leaves on trees for the first time and blades of grass in the lawn. I was regularly punished for not being able to see until my parents found out how bad my vision was... So wore glasses all my life..Then I had cataract surgery and lens replacement with Toric lenses...$2000 per eye as medicare only pays for standard lenses. My severe astigmatism was corrected. I now see 20/20 for the first time in my life...So distance vision is superb and I do not wear glasses anymore for distance vision. Now the bad part. I have no close up vision and I need readers of various strengths depending on what I am doing. This change as resulted in my closing my clock repair business after 47 years as I can no longer see the details I need without switching glasses depending on the detail needed....just too encumbering. Not much need for Clock repair these days anyway...dying trade. So at the computer, it is 1.25 readers...for the shop I have trifocals to try to stop the need to switch glasses but now I have a 3 diopter head gear for real close up work. So, in summary, the change ruined my close up vision... I cannot see clearly what is on my plate at dinner unless I wear readers which are never where I need them. I have litterally 15 pair of glasses strewn around the house and shop.
I had no choice as my cataracts were so bad I was in danger of not retaining my driver's license...

Wife had similar surgery and she had wonderful all around vision, so it works wonderful for her, not so for me... I do not wish to scare you but hopefully you will have a straight forward discussion with your eye doctor on plus and minus...hopefully your eyes are not as bad as mine are/were....

Best,
Phil
Mine are not nearly as bad. I started wearing readers when I was 44. In my early fifties went to the eye Dr. And found I needed trifocals. I also have a bad astigmatism. He just said he didn’t think I would be happy with contacts because I would still have to wear readers. Also same with the cataract surgery when & if I ever need it.
I actually like my new rimless glasses. They are very light and do not hurt my head at the end of the day. I guess there are worse things than wearing glasses.
So sorry about your bad experience Phil. And, believe me, I understand about having numerous pairs of reader around the house. :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are not nearly as bad. I started wearing readers when I was 44. In my early fifties went to the eye Dr. And found I needed trifocals. I also have a bad astigmatism. He just said he didn’t think I would be happy with contacts because I would still have to wear readers. Also same with the cataract surgery when & if I ever need it.
I actually like my new rimless glasses. They are very light and do not hurt my head at the end of the day. I guess there are worse things than wearing glasses.
So sorry about your bad experience Phil. And, believe me, I understand about having numerous pairs of reader around the house. :)
Hi Tracy,

You will come to need cataract removal...at that time you might discuss Toric lenses which can and do correct astigmatism as severe as mine...might be an option. I do not have to wear glasses anymore for driving and have the card along with my drivers license if I ever need to present it to the police.

Best,
Phil

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tracy,

You will come to need cataract removal...at that time you might discuss Toric lenses which can and do correct astigmatism as severe as mine...might be an option. I do not have to wear glasses anymore for driving and have the card along with my drivers license if I ever need to present it to the police.

Best,
Phil
I will. Thank you, Phil! :)

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Wow this subject brings back some memories! One of my very first jobs was working in a lab making hard contact lenses. They were gas permeable and the Ophthalmologist doctor I worked for was world renowned. Some of his patients were some very famous people including world leaders. Anyways, he was also a teacher at Mass General Eye and ear. He wrote a paper that warned about the negatives of lasik. About 10% of patients having procedure done end up with permanent damage. Most are migraines and the balance is destroyed vision. So think twice on this solution!

Oakley use to make prescription replacement lenses for their full line of glasses.

My dad had lens replacement because of cataracts. He said it was great not needing glasses anymore. Think he always in early 80’s when he had it done.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow this subject brings back some memories! One of my very first jobs was working in a lab making hard contact lenses. They were gas permeable and the Ophthalmologist doctor I worked for was world renowned. Some of his patients were some very famous people including world leaders. Anyways, he was also a teacher at Mass General Eye and ear. He wrote a paper that warned about the negatives of lasik. About 10% of patients having procedure done end up with permanent damage. Most are migraines and the balance is destroyed vision. So think twice on this solution!

Oakley use to make prescription replacement lenses for their full line of glasses.

My dad had lens replacement because of cataracts. He said it was great not needing glasses anymore. Think he always in early 80’s when he had it done.
Hi Rick,

Was his name Bayshore? He was supposed to be contact supplier to our Presidents...

best,
Phil

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hi Rick,

Was his name Bayshore? He was supposed to be contact supplier to our Presidents...

best,
Phil
Hi Phil,
His name was Perry Rosenthal. Without dropping names I was floored seeing some of the people sitting in his examination chair. There was also a private entrance into his office space from the car garage below the building. In and out without anyone ever knowing

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I already have migraines. Definitely don’t want to make that worse! :frown:
Sponsored