John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just doing a comparison to see if I got ripped off. I just got back from MY Eye Doctor and had my annual exam.
I told them I'm interested in new sunglasses b/c I wanna look cooler driving my Ranger. I picked out the Joe Biden style Ray Ban's with prescription progressive polarized lenses. But 600.00 and some change?!! Damn I say!
What's everyone else paying for prescription shades? BTW, this was with a "promotional discount" and my insurance.
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
If your insurance won't cover most of the cost then yes, they run that much and more, mine were $900 without insurance and $300 with. My insurance covers prescription sunglasses, some won't.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m about to find this out in the next week or so. Good thing I have a flex spending plan to pickup where insurance dump the balance on me

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
If your prescription isn’t terribly strong, you can buy two pairs of drug store reading glasses and swap the lenses to get something very close to your expensive prescription glasses for very little money. They won’t be Ray-Bans (or the Oakley glasses that I prefer) but they’ll work in a pinch, and make a great emergency backup.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I wear contacts 99% of the time but living here at altitude and working 3rd shift sunglasses are a must.

I'm an Oakley fanboy so they're always on if the sun is out. From what I understand the cost you reported for prescription seems in line.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I'm just doing a comparison to see if I got ripped off. I just got back from MY Eye Doctor and had my annual exam.
I told them I'm interested in new sunglasses b/c I wanna look cooler driving my Ranger. I picked out the Joe Biden style Ray Ban's with prescription progressive polarized lenses. But 600.00 and some change?!! Damn I say!
What's everyone else paying for prescription shades? BTW, this was with a "promotional discount" and my insurance.
Didn’t know there was such a thing. I have transition glasses, but would rather have prescription sunglasses. I need to check into this. Might be too rich for my blood though! :shock:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so if you know your prescription you can get aviators - ray ban style but not brand pretty cheap from goggles for you online. they stand behind stuff and offer free replacements . i got 2 pair of aviators polarized with gradient 3 color prescription lenses for like 85 dollars. they have some designer frames and some generic. they use seiko lenses and have labs in a few countries. oddly one is not china lol.

https://www.goggles4u.com/prescription-sunglasses-152286-c.html

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I’m still in denial that I need prescription glasses. Lol
I didn't start wearing prescription until I was 52. I can kinda squint my way through the license test without them but there's a little guessing involved.

I have 4 or 5 pairs of Ray Bans I don't wear because I need bifocals. My insurance is only taken by independent eye Dr's an B&L cut them out of Ray Ban distribution so around here you have to go to a chain like lens crafters or even walmart. I can get an exam, an pair of glasses for half the cost or less than RB's at a place that doesn't take my insurance. Pisses me off because I've worn them since 1992. It's not much cheaper to have just the prescription lens put in the ones I have.

OP
OP
Toytec

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an Oakley fanboy so they're always on if the sun is out. From what I understand the cost you reported for prescription seems in line.
[/QUOTE]
I'm beginning to see that. Good responses.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Didn’t know there was such a thing. I have transition glasses, but would rather have prescription sunglasses. I need to check into this. Might be too rich for my blood though! :shock:
Tracy, my dear old Dad used to say, "Damn glasses, can't see with 'em, can't see without 'em". I now know exactly what he meant. I've thought about prescription sunglasses, but I know it would be a waste of money for me. I'm now in the same boat my Dad was. :)

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I’m 45, retired vet and now a civilian DOD Aviation electrician. It’s getting harder to see small stuff. Lol. I use magnifying reader glasses while working but need full time prescription glasses. My dad was about my age when he started wearing glasses so I’m pretty sure it’s my turn.
I didn't start wearing prescription until I was 52. I can kinda squint my way through the license test without them but there's a little guessing involved.

I have 4 or 5 pairs of Ray Bans I don't wear because I need bifocals. My insurance is only taken by independent eye Dr's an B&L cut them out of Ray Ban distribution so around here you have to go to a chain like lens crafters or even walmart. I can get an exam, an pair of glasses for half the cost or less than RB's at a place that doesn't take my insurance. Pisses me off because I've worn them since 1992. It's not much cheaper to have just the prescription lens put in the ones I have.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Tracy, my dear old Dad used to say, "Damn glasses, can't see with 'em, can't see without 'em". I now know exactly what he meant. I've thought about prescription sunglasses, but I know it would be a waste of money for me. I'm now in the same boat my Dad was. :)
I’m just waiting for my cataracts to grow so I can have corrective surgery and get rid of my glasses. I’m giving it some time. It’s been about 2 (or 3) years since my last eye appointment. They ought to have grown some by now.?

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I stopped buying glasses from the eye doctors optical shop and chain eye glass stores years ago. I get my glasses from Zenni online but there are any number of online stores. They are so much less than than going to an optical shop I don't even bother with insurance.

My current every day glasses are a dark blue anodized titanium frame with polycarbonate lenes that are a progressive bifocal. I payed $113.00 for them. They are about the most expensive frame they have, the only way I could make the lenses more expensive was for them to be photochromatic. But for $4 each you can get fitted clip on sunglasses, I get a set for each car and an extra for another $16.

You can get any frame as a prescription sunglass.

Eyeglasses are one of the biggest rip offs out there. My brother used to work for Randolph Engineering, they make the aviator sunglasses for the Air Force and Navy along with street wear frames. The cost to manufacturer a metal frame was approximately $8. My next door neighbor is an optometrist and he told me the lens blanks for 95% of the prescriptions are $3 apiece.
Sponsored