First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I’m just waiting for my cataracts to grow so I can have corrective surgery and get rid of my glasses. I’m giving it some time. It’s been about 2 (or 3) years since my last eye appointment. They ought to have grown some by now.?
I have a cataract starting but they just watch it. My sister in law had the corrective surgery an it didn't work now she has to have it done again. No fun living through that.

. I get my glasses from Zenni
I have a few pairs from them. I use them for working on stuff an doing things that might damage my glasses.
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just doing a comparison to see if I got ripped off. I just got back from MY Eye Doctor and had my annual exam.
I told them I'm interested in new sunglasses b/c I wanna look cooler driving my Ranger. I picked out the Joe Biden style Ray Ban's with prescription progressive polarized lenses. But 600.00 and some change?!! Damn I say!
What's everyone else paying for prescription shades? BTW, this was with a "promotional discount" and my insurance.
Had my yearly eye exam today, still have 20/15 vision post Lasik around 12 to 15 years ago. Just need readers. Bought the lifetime deal so I can get free adjustments if needed.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I have a cataract starting but they just watch it. My sister in law had the corrective surgery an it didn't work now she has to have it done again. No fun living through that.

I have a few pairs from them. I use them for working on stuff an doing things that might damage my glasses.
Yes, that’s what I’m afraid of. I know someone who had problems after her surgery. Not sure they ever got it right. But, I know a lot more people that had it and did great. I most likely will just continue with glasses. Not even going to try contacts.:frown:

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I stopped buying glasses from the eye doctors optical shop and chain eye glass stores years ago. I get my glasses from Zenni online but there are any number of online stores. They are so much less than than going to an optical shop I don't even bother with insurance.
Zenni for me too!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped buying glasses from the eye doctors optical shop and chain eye glass stores years ago. I get my glasses from Zenni online but there are any number of online stores. They are so much less than than going to an optical shop I don't even bother with insurance.

My current every day glasses are a dark blue anodized titanium frame with polycarbonate lenes that are a progressive bifocal. I payed $113.00 for them. They are about the most expensive frame they have, the only way I could make the lenses more expensive was for them to be photochromatic. But for $4 each you can get fitted clip on sunglasses, I get a set for each car and an extra for another $16.

You can get any frame as a prescription sunglass.

Eyeglasses are one of the biggest rip offs out there. My brother used to work for Randolph Engineering, they make the aviator sunglasses for the Air Force and Navy along with street wear frames. The cost to manufacturer a metal frame was approximately $8. My next door neighbor is an optometrist and he told me the lens blanks for 95% of the prescriptions are $3 apiece.
Hi Dave,

I fixed the eye glass problem a couple years ago. Very bad eyes from birth... Cataract surgery and Toric Lenses inserts for $2400, I now see 20/20 for the first time in my life. Now the part that sucks is that I need reading glasses for close up work in various strengths...Three Pair at costco for $15....

best,
Phil

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Dave,

I fixed the eye glass problem a couple years ago. Very bad eyes from birth... Cataract surgery and Toric Lenses inserts for $2400, I now see 20/20 for the first time in my life. Now the part that sucks is that I need reading glasses for close up work in various strengths...Three Pair at costco for $15....

best,
Phil
I've always been told that I was good candidate for Lasik. But I'm kind of leary about eye surgery. Contacts have done well for 30 years and continue to work. However, I think I might grab some readers for small print.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've always been told that I was good candidate for Lasik. But I'm kind of leary about eye surgery. Contacts have done well for 30 years and continue to work. However, I think I might grab some readers for small print.
Hi Doug,

With cataracts, the cloudy lens and reduction of light into the retina becomes such an issue that lens removal is, in my case, necessary to retain sight and with improvements to replacement lenses to compensate for sever astigmatism which is relative recent, I took the recommendation of my opthalmic surgeon . It was the first time that I could see 20/20 as even glasses only corrected me to 20/40...

Best,
Phil

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Doug,

With cataracts, the cloudy lens and reduction of light into the retina becomes such an issue that lens removal is, in my case, necessary to retain sight and with improvements to replacement lenses to compensate for sever astigmatism which is relative recent, I took the recommendation of my opthalmic surgeon . It was the first time that I could see 20/20 as even glasses only corrected me to 20/40...

Best,
Phil
Sounds like a drastic improvement.

When I get to the point where surgery can correct appreciably better than glasses or lenses I'll cave in.

I just have an irrational fear of operations involving my back, hands or eyes.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Yes, that’s what I’m afraid of. I know someone who had problems after her surgery. Not sure they ever got it right. But, I know a lot more people that had it and did great.
A story on the good side - my dad had the cataract procedure a few years ago. We would always argue over colors of things. One particular thing was the color red. He would always say it was brown. After surgery, he was amazed at how much brighter colors were. He said to me, I like that shade of red. Dad, last year you asked why it was brown. :rolleyes: And he ditched the bifocals and doesn't wear glasses now.
I've gradually given in to the bifocals. Got tired of taking the glasses on and off. Have a cheap pair of prescription bifocal sunglasses too so I can see the dashboard when driving. Definitely not cool looking but I just turn down the AC to be cool. :cool:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm not a good candidate for Lasik because I need bifocals. They could fix my distance vision an I'd only need readers. BUT right now I have a sweet spot where I can read a computer screen an use a phone without any glasses. If I got the lasik on the distance I would lose that an always need readers up close.

I'm stuck being a 4 eyes

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Dave,

best,
Phil
I had looked into Lasic a few years ago and was told that there would be no problem correcting my distance vision but as you get older the muscles that shape your eyes to focus for reading get less flexible and that is the reason as you get older you need stronger and stronger reading glasses.

The fact that I would still need reading glasses I passed on the surgery.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A story on the good side - my dad had the cataract procedure a few years ago. We would always argue over colors of things. One particular thing was the color red. He would always say it was brown. After surgery, he was amazed at how much brighter colors were. He said to me, I like that shade of red. Dad, last year you asked why it was brown. :rolleyes: And he ditched the bifocals and doesn't wear glasses now.
I've gradually given in to the bifocals. Got tired of taking the glasses on and off. Have a cheap pair of prescription bifocal sunglasses too so I can see the dashboard when driving. Definitely not cool looking but I just turn down the AC to be cool. :cool:
That’s a great story about your Dad! :)

I actually wear trifocals, so doubt lasik would work for me. When I just wore reading glasses, I got sick and tired of taking them on and off and half the time - losing them. I was glad when I finally had to wear “real” glasses. The only thing I hate about glasses is that by the end of the day, they hurt the sides of my head. Can’t be any looser, though, or they would fall off. Aggravating.:shock:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Not out of line, but I will say take a look at online companies. I bought a complete pair of progressives with all the coatings and upgrades from EyeBuyDirect for $90. This is compared to a pair of Silhouettes from the eye Dr. office with all the same stuff for about $500. And like the $90 ones better.

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not out of line, but I will say take a look at online companies. I bought a complete pair of progressives with all the coatings and upgrades from EyeBuyDirect for $90. This is compared to a pair of Silhouettes with all the same stuff for about $500. And like the $90 ones better.
I’m going to check these folks out! I’m all about saving money as long as the quality is good. :)
Sponsored