khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Look up "Fundamental right to travel" and see how it conflicts with the "government owns the roads" Plus your taxes fund the roads, so if you pay taxes, the road is as much yours as it is anyone else's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_v._Thompson
Yup, that's exactly what I was getting at. I would argue that's a gray area - fundamental right to travel, as portrayed there, doesn't necessarily align with fundamental right to access the road. But this is a forum for our beloved Ranger, not politics.
Sponsored

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
This has been a fascinating thread, and thank you everyone for trying to stay on topic and having a civil discussion without pointing fingers and bringing political bull into it.

My Ranger is the first vehicle I have owned that is newer than 2005, so this is the first time I have experienced much of this technology. Most of it I haven't touched, nor do I intend to. I tried the lane keeping assist and didn't care for it, I figure if you can't keep a vehicle as easy to drive as the Ranger in a nice, wide lane then you shouldn't be driving. Adaptive cruise is VERY nice. In the area around me traffic rarely stays the same speed and changing lanes can be a pain due to density, so just getting into a lane and letting the truck maintain pace and speed is very nice. I'm not sure what parking assist does but I do just fine with my side mirrors and the rear view camera. I kind of enjoy the challenge of parking an being able to step out and look at the truck parked perfectly straight and between the lines. I have not had any problems with the truck being a "nanny" because I don't tailgate, I wear my seat belt, don't drift in and out of lanes, etc.

As far as the debate regarding life being made too easy for everyone I agree this is a gray area. One thing to consider is that what has allowed humanity to progress to where we have is by finding novel solutions to make monotonous tasks automated so we can focus our attention on more important things. If we all had to walk to the local stream or lake whenever we wanted water we would be spending quite a bit of time and energy every day doing that. But on the flip side having a seemingly never ending supply of pure potable water provided to all buildings takes away our appreciation for clean water and more importantly our understanding of the importance of protecting where that water comes from.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Before there was cruise control, I could hold a steady speed all day.
After getting used to cruise control, that skill has diminished considerably,
Now I just won't drive any distance without it.
Hope I can remember how to turn on the headlights next year.:LOL:
Sponsored