The Facts: Ford Performance Fox 2.0 Vs. Fox Performance 2.0

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
We're actually doing the facts and letting you see the difference between these two Ranger 2.0 Shocks. Are they same?

Not even close!

Left: Ford Performance 2.0
Right: Fox Performance Series 2.0

20230419_165520.jpg

Rear
Left: Fox Performance Series 2.0
Right: Ford Performance 2.0

20230419_165612.jpg

Here's also a sneak peak of the rears broken down... Let me know what you guys want to know and we can include it in a video. We'll be breaking down the fronts next.

20230420_151131.jpg
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I’m interested to find out more. Can’t wait to see the difference.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Very Interesting

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So let me make sure I understand this correctly. Between Ford Performance and Fox and most likely Roush as well there is no real consistency on the shocks with the exception that they are Fox Brand Shocks?

Yeah more reason to go with Old Man EMU?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
So let me make sure I understand this correctly. Between Ford Performance and Fox and most likely Roush as well there is no real consistency on the shocks with the exception that they are Fox Brand Shocks?

Yeah more reason to go with Old Man EMU?
Common man, even OME has different types depending on how you use them. The valving and spring rates will be marginally different between them all. I think the quality of workmanship and parts used will determine the rebuild performance and life of the shock.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Common man, even OME has different types depending on how you use them. The valving and spring rates will be marginally different between them all. I think the quality of workmanship and parts used will determine the rebuild performance and life of the shock.
At least with Old Man EMU they have the part numbers stamped on the shocks and springs. Can't speak for Fox on that one, but if you buy a Ranger that someone installed a Fox Shock kit and the individual thinks it's a Ford Performance Fox Shock they will be in a world.of hurt after they order the part.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
At least with Old Man EMU they have the part numbers stamped on the shocks and springs. Can't speak for Fox on that one, but if you buy a Ranger that someone installed a Fox Shock kit and the individual thinks it's a Ford Performance Fox Shock they will be in a world.of hurt after they order the part.
Most Definitely

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford version is labeled Ford Performance. The both have different parts numbers. Will share more info as we peel back the layers. ?

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
This is very interesting. So the Ford branded shocks have Eibach springs with about 10 coil turns, and the Fox is about 6-7 turns and threaded much higher up on the shock. I can see "FOX" written on both springs, but is the Fox 2.0 spring Eibach and the same gauge steel as the Ford 2.0?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is very interesting. So the Ford branded shocks have Eibach springs with about 10 coil turns, and the Fox is about 6-7 turns and threaded much higher up on the shock. I can see "FOX" written on both springs, but is the Fox 2.0 spring Eibach and the same gauge steel as the Ford 2.0?
You got it backwards at the end. That said it looks as if the spring may have a similar diameter, but due to the spacing there is a possibility of different spring rates and slightly different metal. Just depends on what brand Fox chose for the spring.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Who is we?

Any thoughts on rebuild process? I'm quickly approaching Fox's recommended mileage.

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You got it backwards at the end. That said it looks as if the spring may have a similar diameter, but due to the spacing there is a possibility of different spring rates and slightly different metal. Just depends on what brand Fox chose for the spring.
They are both Eibach springs, and both use a 550 spring. Ford uses a 16" spring, vs Fox uses a 14" spring.

Who is we?

Any thoughts on rebuild process? I'm quickly approaching Fox's recommended mileage.
I work for Shock Surplus. I was trying to just make this educational, not trying to sell anyone anything. We do Shock rebuilds as well, so feel free to ask any questions about that process. You can always PM directly if you want as well.

A customer brought these Ford Performance shocks in for a rebuild, and we had a set of the direct Fox version that were used previously for testing on my own truck. We decided it was a great opportunity to learn the differences between the way Fox sets up these shocks vs. how Ford has them tuned.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I work for Shock Surplus. I was trying to just make this educational, not trying to sell anyone anything. We do Shock rebuilds as well, so feel free to ask any questions about that process. You can always PM directly if you want as well.

A customer brought these Ford Performance shocks in for a rebuild, and we had a set of the direct Fox version that were used previously for testing on my own truck. We decided it was a great opportunity to learn the differences between the way Fox sets up these shocks vs. how Ford has them tuned.
Cool, was just curious for now.

How many miles on the customer rebuild? Is it apparent upon teardown that rebuild was needed or could they have gone further?

I'm curious as it seems to me the rebuild mileage Fox estimates is VERY short. I'm thinking that they'll go much farther. With my very limited off road use Fox would probably say I'm due for a rebuild now with 35k miles on them.

Also, what does Shock Surplus charge for a rebuild?

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, was just curious for now.

How many miles on the customer rebuild? Is it apparent upon teardown that rebuild was needed or could they have gone further?

I'm curious as it seems to me the rebuild mileage Fox estimates is VERY short. I'm thinking that they'll go much farther. With my very limited off road use Fox would probably say I'm due for a rebuild now with 35k miles on them.

Also, what does Shock Surplus charge for a rebuild?
Customer bought them used, and is just doing due diligence, which is pretty smart. You never know what your getting. I believe it was only supposed to be 10-15k on them. Based on fluid on the rears, yes he could have lasted a lot longer. But again, No knowledge of how they were used prior. So better safe than sorry.

If you're just using for off road it could easily be 10k before a rebuild. If you're driving it on the street all the time, it could be 40-50k. Driving style, personal feel, terrain all come into it, so there is no perfect number. Also oil has a shelf life. So even if you don't drive much, but the shocks are 5 years old, it may be time to rebuild them.

I'll send you a PM on rebuild cost. I don't want to detract from the education piece here.
Sponsored