Terrain management upgrade?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd still like to find a 2019 501a FX4 Lariat to examine as-built data. Please PM me if you have that vehicle....
I did get another 501a FX4 Lariat as-built and it looks like it also has far fewer PIDs than my non-FX4 501a Lariat (thanks Trey). Not sure what to make of this but finding differences between FX4 and non-FX4 vehicles is not 100% doable with 20% of the PIDs not listed (MIA).
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I did get another 501a FX4 Lariat as-built and it looks like it also has far fewer PIDs than my non-FX4 501a Lariat (thanks Trey). Not sure what to make of this but finding differences between FX4 and non-FX4 vehicles is not 100% doable with 20% of the PIDs not listed (MIA).
We know the ones that aren’t there aren’t important. It’s running an older firmware that doesn’t have some specific feature.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've updated the spreadsheet to include module names and I've suppressed XL Pids that equal the non-FX4 Lariat.
  • PIDs are sorted in numerical order (not as-built order). You can re-sort anyway you like tho.
  • Values are blank if they equal the non-Fx4 Lariat value -- If the values differ, the values for each are shown.
  • NA means that the pids were not available for that Lariat FX4 vehicle
  • -- means these pids are not used in this vehicle (they were not listed in the AsBuilt).
  • This is an excel file compatible with 97-04 programs so most everyone should be able to open it.
I was looking thru the IPC module using FORScan and found several named pids that may or may not be relevant to turning on trail control (sure seems like they may be)(and there may be more):
- Adaptive drive
- Selectable Drive Mode

Also, the is a module in our vehicles that have no pids but the module name seems relevant: All Terrain Control Module (ATCM). Research is required on this.....

I'm thinking it makes sense to go back to changing the ABS (760) values (as tried before) but IN ADDITION, turning on Adaptive Drive and Selectable drive modes in the IPC.

Attachments

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Impressive work on the spreadsheet data, Geoff. Not having Excel I delayed looking at it. It seems to open up just fine in Google Sheets. Thanks. :like:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Impressive work on the spreadsheet data, Geoff. Not having Excel I delayed looking at it. It seems to open up just fine in Google Sheets. Thanks. :like:
Thanks. I wish I was still using Excel....Numbers (Mac OS) works okay but workarounds were required.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Thanks. I wish I was still using Excel....Numbers (Mac OS) works okay but workarounds were required.
Check out libreOffice. It’s m almost exclusively on Linux for my home pc’s, and they are usually fine.

I’m looking forward to hearing from saeb on the asbuilts I sent last week.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Check out libreOffice. It’s m almost exclusively on Linux for my home pc’s, and they are usually fine.

I’m looking forward to hearing from saeb on the asbuilts I sent last week.
Yes, He's got way more experience than us (well at least me) in these matters...

That said, I've updated the spreadsheet again. This update adds a 2nd FX4 Lariat. The 2 FX4 Lariats are similar but adding the 2nd one to the spreadsheet makes patterns stand out a bit more.

For example, I shaded rows that have notable differences between FX4 and non FX4 vehicles. And the interesting thing is more than one module stands out - IPC, BCM, ABS, PCM
(some of this seems credible to me). The PCM differences are worth noting!!

Can anyone else spot possible other differences?

Attachments

Last edited:

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
So I just got Forscan today and went and added the terrain management with the offroad gauges and bambi mode. I'm so glad to be on a forum like this to have the info.
How did you add the offroad gauges?. i tried this and it didn't work i've got a XLT 4x4 i successfully got the TM button to work

FX4 Off-Road Screen (Non-FX4 Models) - Cred WhiteLightning19
IPC - 720-07-02 x3xx xxxx xxxx

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
How did you add the offroad gauges?. i tried this and it didn't work i've got a XLT 4x4 i successfully got the TM button to work

FX4 Off-Road Screen (Non-FX4 Models) - Cred WhiteLightning19
I did that change and it worked fine on my XLT Sport. Make sure you went to the right location as plenty of us make that mistake from time to time.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Are there any other 2019 non-FX4 501a Lariat owners with the Electronic Locking axle willing to share your as-built? If so please PM me.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any other 2019 non-FX4 501a Lariat owners with the Electronic Locking axle willing to share your as-built? If so please PM me.
@Geoff I have a 2019 Lariat 500A with locker, non-FX4 if this would help with your search let me know and I will send you my As Built.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
@Geoff I have a 2019 Lariat 500A with locker, non-FX4 if this would help with your search let me know and I will send you my As Built.
That might work, I'd have to see how different the 500a/501a as built is. If you don't mind, the easiest way is to just PM me your vin and I'll download the file. I've gotten good at parsing it and formatting to paste in numbers.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
That might work, I'd have to see how different the 500a/501a as built is. If you don't mind, the easiest way is to just PM me your vin and I'll download the file. I've gotten good at parsing it and formatting to paste in numbers.
I sent you a message with my VIN.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer