Terrain management upgrade?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yes sorry should have mentioned that, I have identified the VIN in the 760 ABS module which ends @ 760-02-01 (checksum)

(RED = VIN in ASCII (HEX))
760-VIN.jpg

Instrument Cluster:
720-10-01 1004 1000 is Trail Control in combination with.. (1000 1000 is non Trail Control)

ABS:
760-02-01 0505 0A03 is FX4 equipped (0105 0A03 is without)
760-02-02 x4xx 4 is SuperCab, 5 is SuperCrew
760-02-02 xxx3 3 is FX4 equipped, 2 is without
760-03-01 xxx7 still working on this one... But it seems that EVEN is no TC and ODD has TC Number Range from 4 to 7
IE: 4 No TC, 5 has TC, 6 No TC, 7 has TC (Loaded). Some group 302a have even and some have odd.
Sounds like a solid theory. I was told that the part number would be same, but the flash would be different. Who knows though, it seems like you just change them and then cycle through the last one with odd numbers until something works.

main reason I gave up is my truck is an fx4 and my dads is not, but I didn’t want to be testing stuff on his truck that I couldn’t guarantee wouldn’t brick something.
Sponsored

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Sounds like a solid theory. I was told that the part number would be same, but the flash would be different. Who knows though, it seems like you just change them and then cycle through the last one with odd numbers until something works.

main reason I gave up is my truck is an fx4 and my dads is not, but I didn’t want to be testing stuff on his truck that I couldn’t guarantee wouldn’t brick something.
I would have preferred a FX4 equipped truck, but I bought mine in 2020 end of year and got a Lariat for the XLT price. It was a lost leader. Now cracking this code is just a game. Do I need it? No, Will I ever use it? No (I wanted the extended cab to have the longer 6' bed, and knew I wanted the LED headlights and Leather. The rest I didn't really care). It's not my daily driver either.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I tried it tonight... Definitely CLOSE

It complains about the BRAKES and ADVANCETRAC errors. So there must be some missing hardware, additional settings that also needs to be changed.
Can confirm this

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
hi, without reading all 40 pages of this thread just wanted to lazily ask first. Can a XL w/101a gain terrain management & trail control by ordering this switch and using forscan?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
hi, without reading all 40 pages of this thread just wanted to lazily ask first. Can a XL w/101a gain terrain management & trail control by ordering this switch and using forscan?
Terrain management and Trail Control are two separate things but tied to same system. I think you’re referring to Terrain Management or TM that is part of the Hi-Lo 4x switch. If so the answer is yes to your question.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I don't think this has been answered conclusively yet, specifically for the XL (101A or not). I have the XL, and the 101A package, so I am interested in the answer to this question. The best answer I can find is mainly reading between the lines, and it's maybe. Lots of people with XLT displays have gotten the Terrain Management settings (Sand/Mud/Snow/Grass/Whatever the 4th setting is) working by adding the switch and using FORSCAN. Nobody has yet gotten the Trail Control (low speed cruise control) working yet on any vehicle not originally equipped with it, at least as far as I know.
The question of the XL revolves around the display. The XLT and above have a multicolor graphics display, and is capable of displaying all the necessary screen graphics to show the operator what mode is selected, plus all the tilt angles, etc. once the Terrain Management modes are activated. The XL display is monochrome blue, and may or may not be capable of displaying these graphics. Display is actually a separate issue from actual function, so it is possible that the Terrain Management modes may activate on an XL, but without any visual indication to the operator on the display. So because the set of XL owners willing to fork out for the switch and adapter is so small, nobody with an XL has said "I did it, and it works". At least I have not found any yet in my searches on this board. So far, all the people who have said it works are using an XLT or above display. I know if you buy the FX4 package, even on an XL, it comes with the XLT multicolor graphics display ( I have a friend with an XL FX4, so I have definitely confirmed this)

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Honestly, I don't think this has been answered conclusively yet, specifically for the XL (101A or not). I have the XL, and the 101A package, so I am interested in the answer to this question. The best answer I can find is mainly reading between the lines, and it's maybe. Lots of people with XLT displays have gotten the Terrain Management settings (Sand/Mud/Snow/Grass/Whatever the 4th setting is) working by adding the switch and using FORSCAN. Nobody has yet gotten the Trail Control (low speed cruise control) working yet on any vehicle not originally equipped with it, at least as far as I know.
The question of the XL revolves around the display. The XLT and above have a multicolor graphics display, and is capable of displaying all the necessary screen graphics to show the operator what mode is selected, plus all the tilt angles, etc. once the Terrain Management modes are activated. The XL display is monochrome blue, and may or may not be capable of displaying these graphics. Display is actually a separate issue from actual function, so it is possible that the Terrain Management modes may activate on an XL, but without any visual indication to the operator on the display. So because the set of XL owners willing to fork out for the switch and adapter is so small, nobody with an XL has said "I did it, and it works". At least I have not found any yet in my searches on this board. So far, all the people who have said it works are using an XLT or above display. I know if you buy the FX4 package, even on an XL, it comes with the XLT multicolor graphics display ( I have a friend with an XL FX4, so I have definitely confirmed this)
Well said!!! And we know of folks that have swapped their clusters for the larger color display without any issues. Thank you Ford for not locking components down like AUDI/BMW/PORSCHE do.

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
i guess ive driven offroad for many years without any smart modes and am very comfortable with the 2 foot method creeping up the rough stuff. Just thought it would be a neat upgrade if it was simple and only $100. Thanks for the clear explanation @FunInTheSun

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
OK, I have 2021 XLT 301A with 4X4 and rear locking diff options. I'm interested in TM and that sounds like it's worked out. Hoping for more word on TC, as there are times that could be nice too. I didn't want an FX4 due to the suspension and weight of the skid plates. But, getting at least TM would be great. I've ordered both switches so that if it is figured out I'm read to try it.

Also, my thought on why 760-03-01 has so many codes for on/off, perhaps the values also indicate if the truck has ACC. The button used for CANC on the left button cluster of the steering wheel varies depending on if it is equipped with ACC or not.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
OK, I have 2021 XLT 301A with 4X4 and rear locking diff options. I'm interested in TM and that sounds like it's worked out. Hoping for more word on TC, as there are times that could be nice too. I didn't want an FX4 due to the suspension and weight of the skid plates. But, getting at least TM would be great. I've ordered both switches so that if it is figured out I'm read to try it.

Also, my thought on why 760-03-01 has so many codes for on/off, perhaps the values also indicate if the truck has ACC. The button used for CANC on the left button cluster of the steering wheel varies depending on if it is equipped with ACC or not.
Terrain management is easy to add. Trail control is something you dont need to bother.

As for the skid plates..... I have to laugh at this one. If you actually plan to go OffRoad then skid plates wont matter that much for weight especially with the protection they can offer(FX4 does offer some compared to non FX4 models). You will get way more protection from aftermarket Skid plates of course.

After doing a bunch of exploring with my Ranger before I lost it a few months ago i can tell you that you dont need to be concerned with weight when it comes to protection items.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Terrain management is easy to add. Trail control is something you dont need to bother.

As for the skid plates..... I have to laugh at this one. If you actually plan to go OffRoad then skid plates wont matter that much for weight especially with the protection they can offer(FX4 does offer some compared to non FX4 models). You will get way more protection from aftermarket Skid plates of course.

After doing a bunch of exploring with my Ranger before I lost it a few months ago i can tell you that you dont need to be concerned with weight when it comes to protection items.
My main goal is towing, or carrying things in the bed, so I wanted the payload impacted as little as possible. I've heard too much bad about the stock FX4 road handling to pay that much for it too. My "offroad" is dirt/gravel road, maybe a rut here or there, no rock climbing or such. I figure that the only time I would use TC is if I'm pulling a float in a parade, but it may be nice to have then.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My main goal is towing, or carrying things in the bed, so I wanted the payload impacted as little as possible. I've heard too much bad about the stock FX4 road handling to pay that much for it too. My "offroad" is dirt/gravel road, maybe a rut here or there, no rock climbing or such. I figure that the only time I would use TC is if I'm pulling a float in a parade, but it may be nice to have then.
From what I have heard from others the the Trail control isnt worth it. Also no one on here has been able to figure out how to unlock it. If you want that feature you must get the FX4 package. Thats about it.

Pasparakis

First Name
Pasparakis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger wildtrak 2.0 biturbo 213ps
Occupation
6 months
hello everyone..is there anyone here who installed TM (terrain management) in european ford ranger wildtrak 2.0 biturbo ??? any help I would appreciate…thanks…

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Coming back to this:

Instrument Cluster:
720-10-01 1004 1000 is Terrain Management in combination with.. (1000 1000 is non TM)

ABS:

760-03-01 xxx#

A Value of 1 = elocker a value of 2 = Adaptive Cruise Control

Range from 4 to 7
IE: 4 No options, 5 has elocker, 6 has ACC no elocker, 7 has elocker and ACC

Here are a few others to track down:
720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x8 CS (8 FX4 Option with Trail Control, 0 doesn't)
720-07-01 8xxx xxxx xx CS 8 = elocker 0 = none
720-07-02 x3xx xx CS (3 FX4 Option with Trail Control, 1 doesn't)

CS = CheckSum

So to recap:

760-02-01 x5xx xxxx
760-02-02 x4xx xxxx
720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x8
720-07-02 x3xx xx
720-10-01 1004 1000

If anyone wants to give that a GO

Pasparakis

First Name
Pasparakis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger wildtrak 2.0 biturbo 213ps
Occupation
6 months
Coming back to this:

Instrument Cluster:
720-10-01 1004 1000 is Terrain Management in combination with.. (1000 1000 is non TM)

ABS:

760-03-01 xxx#

A Value of 1 = elocker a value of 2 = Adaptive Cruise Control

Range from 4 to 7
IE: 4 No options, 5 has elocker, 6 has ACC no elocker, 7 has elocker and ACC

Here are a few others to track down:
720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x8 CS (8 FX4 Option with Trail Control, 0 doesn't)
720-07-01 8xxx xxxx xx CS 8 = elocker 0 = none
720-07-02 x3xx xx CS (3 FX4 Option with Trail Control, 1 doesn't)

CS = CheckSum

So to recap:

760-02-01 x5xx xxxx
760-02-02 x4xx xxxx
720-06-01 xxxx xxxx x8
720-07-02 x3xx xx
720-10-01 1004 1000

If anyone wants to give that a GO
my ranger is European model with different four-wheel drive switch selector..if I make these changes I will be able to have the terrain management?it is necessary to replace a switch selector?

Thank you?
Sponsored