Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you’re enjoying it Doug. I have a solution for your “no wipers” issue…… Rain-X and WOT. 😀
Sponsored

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
About a month and a half in. I love this truck.
Awesome to hear and sounds like you are getting it sorted out!
Enjoy!

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Here’s an idea as far as color scheme goes…
131BD278-6F59-4C8B-9583-653AACE0BAD5.jpeg

Yes, I’m aware that’s a Ford and not a Chevy.

Oh geez... I think I need a cigarette after seeing this picture.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It sounds like you’re enjoying it Doug. I have a solution for your “no wipers” issue…… Rain-X and WOT. 😀
Forgot the Rain-X, but that second ingredient is plentiful. On that note, I had some question wether the rearend had the G80 locker as I was told. With the wet roads I can confirm the old Gov bomb is present.:clap:
Awesome to hear and sounds like you are getting it sorted out!
Enjoy!
I feel like for me the "mostly done" project was definately the best choice. I can deal with a small checklist. The anxiety of a pile of parts to put together would paralyze me.:LOL:
I think I would bolt that can to the running board just where it is...

LB
That's exactly what's going on there :cool:

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I asked my step mother if she could find pictures of my Dad's truck back when I was trying to convince the old lady to let me buy Spookie. She finally came through with a few pics of Kasper and a few other old rides.

Kasper, a 1949 Ford mostly original restoration. Flathead V8, 3 on the tree.
received_809034010868744_773968071208763.jpeg

My Dad's '56 210. Carbuerated small block in front of th350.

received_633019705528975_773988279476047.jpeg

Hiding in front of the '56 was my Dad's daily driver. The '55 Ford truck with a 400 c.i. Pontiac small block. Inside the light bulb airbrushed on the tailgate is a mouse munching on some cheese.

Here's another picture of it when it was still being put together, before the airbrushing and motor install...
received_281425344387237_775863618914237(1).jpeg

My Camaro. 1979 Berlinetta. Old Man bought it from the neighbor. We spent about a year putting it together on our weekends together. Summer before I was to start driving it a hail storm destroyed it and we parted it out...
received_1001505391220736_775539078861288.jpeg

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Those Ford F1 are cool trucks. I had to sell a '51 Ford F1 with the Mercury flathead v8 two years ago due to a death in the family. I thought about buying it from my sister-in-law, but it was not really my thing. If it would have been a late 60's or early 70's muscle car I would have purchased it. I sold it to an 80 year old man who told me he learned how to drive in a Ford F1. He was like a kid in a candy store when he saw that truck.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Those Ford F1 are cool trucks. I had to sell a '51 Ford F1 with the Mercury flathead v8 two years ago due to a death in the family. I thought about buying it from my sister-in-law, but it was not really my thing. If it would have been a late 60's or early 70's muscle car I would have purchased it. I sold it to an 80 year old man who told me he learned how to drive in a Ford F1. He was like a kid in a candy store when he saw that truck.
Kasper, the white '49, was special like that. My great grandmother purchased it new from the dealership. Grandma, dad, sis, and I all learned how to drive in it. My dad did the resto in the early '80s just after he sobered up.

It was sold to 3rd cousins in the Chicagoland area in the 90's. My old man was going round 2 with some aggressive cancer. I was only 13/14 so all the hotrods were liquidated so that I didn't wrap them around a tree.

I've tried to track Kasper down. But those folks aren't having it. I've accepted that I'll never get a hold of it. If I ever did it would get some restomod updates. IFS, PS/PB, 12v conversion, etc. I'd keep the stockish look, Flathead and 3 spd, while trying to source a period correct supercharger for the flathead.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Heard an exhaust leak last night. Passenger side header lost it's bolts.

Off to get some new hardware, quick repair then under the truck to inspect other exhaust hardware.

20230607_131423.jpg

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Kasper, the white '49, was special like that. My great grandmother purchased it new from the dealership. Grandma, dad, sis, and I all learned how to drive in it. My dad did the resto in the early '80s just after he sobered up.

It was sold to 3rd cousins in the Chicagoland area in the 90's. My old man was going round 2 with some aggressive cancer. I was only 13/14 so all the hotrods were liquidated so that I didn't wrap them around a tree.

I've tried to track Kasper down. But those folks aren't having it. I've accepted that I'll never get a hold of it. If I ever did it would get some restomod updates. IFS, PS/PB, 12v conversion, etc. I'd keep the stockish look, Flathead and 3 spd, while trying to source a period correct supercharger for the flathead.
Here are the pics on mine. The Flathead was definitely a cool looking and sounding motor, but it was a pre-muscle car motor. Personally, I would have looked for a donor car and got a 302 or 351 for it. I think that would have made the truck a lot more fun. IMO, an '87 or newer 5.0L v8, transmission and rear axle from a Fox body Mustang would have been perfect.

Ford_F1.jpg

Ford_Flathead.jpg

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Here are the pics on mine. The Flathead was definitely a cool looking and sounding motor, but it was a pre-muscle car motor. Personally, I would have looked for a donor car and got a 302 or 351 for it. I think that would have made the truck a lot more fun. IMO, an '87 or newer 5.0L v8, transmission and rear axle from a Fox body Mustang would have been perfect.

Ford_F1.jpg

Ford_Flathead.jpg
That's a good looking truck.

That's one of the things I love about my Chevy. While the look is staying "original" I don't have to worry about keeping original parts. As things break I can upgrade/repair as I go.

Was talking with an an Subaru buddy the other day I used to do SCCA Solo with. He was shocked at the direction I went for a "fun" car. I told him "who knows, in 10 years it might have a big turbo 2J with a six speed in it!"

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Yes, it was a nice looking truck with major restoration potential. It was definitely the most interesting vehicle I have ever sold. I had people from around the country calling me up about it. My brother-in-law had done a lot of work on it but he was not very mechanical.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Yes, it was a nice looking truck with major restoration potential. It was definitely the most interesting vehicle I have ever sold. I had people from around the country calling me up about it. My brother-in-law had done a lot of work on it but he was not very mechanical.
That's rough. Does the new owner have plans for a full restoration?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
That's rough. Does the new owner have plans for a full restoration?
Yes he did. He was 80 years old and he told me he wanted to do a lot of the work himself, but he admitted he physically may not have been able to. He said he did have the money to farm the restoration out if needed. That was fall 2021 and I never heard from him again. So, I have no idea how it turned out.
Sponsored