Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Like most red-blooded American men I periodically cruise Craigslist.

Found this beauty the other day. And I keep coming back to the ad to see if it's still around. It's sitting at and appears to be built by a local shop I have experience with who does good work.

00P0P_fu9PGS51XmW_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_i9RjyYZY9nz_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

00E0E_nsbeOUZrxu_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

'48 Chevy on S-10 frame. 4 bolt 350, 4 wheel disc's, drop leafs and spindles, PS/PB, 5spd manual.

They're asking around $20k. It would be a driver for me, just to fart around in.

If I get some earlier nights in this week and/or it's still around Friday I think I'm gonna go check it out.

Discuss please. And throw out any advice you might have when checking it out.
Sponsored

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Looks nice, they did most of the hard work but didn't finish under the hood before the engine went in. Just needs a lot of prepping and painting. Not a bad deal at that price.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Looks nice, they did most of the hard work but didn't finish under the hood before the engine went in. Just needs a lot of prepping and painting. Not a bad deal at that price.
Price point kept me looking. The body shop it's sitting at has done work for me in the past and I've been very happy with them.

I actually dig the patina look. And I'm not looking to build it into something I'd be afraid to drive. If they've cleared over the body I'd be happy with it's current finish.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
I have no knowledge bombs to drop on this thread beyond; I think owning something like this that is simple and repairable is becoming more and more attractive as our microchip overlords silently take over. Looks like a lot of fun Doug. I hope you get to pull the trigger.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
I have always wanted a truck like that. I just wouldn’t be able to drive it.?
But with all the patina you could sure park it without worries! :LOL:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Also, paging @AdamHarris

I like the patina look. But I'm reading mixed stuff about clearing over distressed finish. Thoughts from our autobody/paint expert?

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Wait, you’re asking folks on 5g to talk you OUT of spending money? Bahahahahahahahahahahahah! Good luck with that ??
Talk me out of it, talk me into it, whatever is clever.

My brother-in-law's response was "you don't have room." He knows how to play the game. Give me a minor practical concern that I can think about and feel somewhat responsible about as I overcome it easily with addict logic.

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase

My brother-in-law's response was "you don't have room." He knows how to play the game. Give me a minor practical concern that I can think about and feel somewhat responsible about as I overcome it easily with addict logic.
ok, it’s a Chevy. You’re welcome.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Not an expert on customs but some random thoughts...
Customs are always a matter if taste, what appeals to the builder may not appeal to everyone and can make it hard to sell. S10 chassis makes it easier to maintain. If the disc brakes are off the shelf, that's a plus. 350 is a common engine with lots of parts available. I like patina but not the fake patina seen everywhere now. Just a matter of taste. May be a little tight in the drivers seat depending on how tall and wide you are. Tilt steering will help that. Was it fully converted to 12v and wiring replaced?
If you do purchase, gather as much info on the various years of the parts so you can get replacements.
Another drawback is its not a Ford. :wink:
I love the idea of having an old car for a daily and will probably go that route when I retire.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
ok, it’s a Chevy. You’re welcome.
Perfect. Now that I can work with.

Not an expert on customs but some random thoughts...
Customs are always a matter if taste, what appeals to the builder may not appeal to everyone and can make it hard to sell. S10 chassis makes it easier to maintain. If the disc brakes are off the shelf, that's a plus. 350 is a common engine with lots of parts available. I like patina but not the fake patina seen everywhere now. Just a matter of taste. May be a little tight in the drivers seat depending on how tall and wide you are. Tilt steering will help that. Was it fully converted to 12v and wiring replaced?
If you do purchase, gather as much info on the various years of the parts so you can get replacements.
Another drawback is its not a Ford. :wink:
I love the idea of having an old car for a daily and will probably go that route when I retire.
Excellent points about fit, tilt wheel, and electrical. These are the types of things I'm trying to think about going in.

Craigslist ad states the frame to body conversion was done with a code504 kit. Looking at their website their stuff seems pretty legit.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Doug,

It will simply not fit in your garage...so give it up and provide me the name, address and phone number of the place that has it please.... :)

Best,
Phil
Sponsored