First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I installed the tailgate damper on my 2022 Ranger this weekend. I actually had damage from an accidental slam (or slams) opening. I'm not sure when it occurred or where (the truck was leased for my business), but the right pivot point was severely damaged. Ford warranty and dealer were great, they fixed it under warranty, including paint match. The issue is with repeated gate dropping the right pivot point can get out of round and then the plastic piece inside cracked and fell out in my case. $35 from Amazon and ten minutes to install and now the tailgate can't slam down no matter who drives the truck.

As to interfering with removing the tailgate, I never do. If you need to remove it often, then yeah, skip the damper and just make sure you don't let the tailgate slam open.
I've had tailgate cables snap on other trucks I've owned after they got a few years old.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know if you find one for the sun visor:LOL:
They have them on luxury cars I think...or am I thinking of the damped grab handles, which we have...

I do know that some cars have damped doors so they don't get flung open by a wind gust...

How about sound dampers? That adds weight and should be removed... ? ?

Last edited:

Singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
Ok so I know the tailgate damper is extremely popular but for me it’s take it or leave it I guess. I’ve not been in situation where I couldn’t just lower it by hand so it doesn’t slam. But hey it’s only like $40 so why not right? Before I get one I’d like to know if there’s anything any of you don’t like about it.
I love mine and you can buy them for half that.

Tubbaguts

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I like the ability to open and walk away as the tailgate slowly lowers itself into position. This allows me time to do other things like grab and load my cooler full of adult beverage into the truck bed. Or grab the drag slicks for the Foxbody Mustang I am about to tow to the drag strip with my Ranger.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I did the opposite with my truck. I spring loaded the tailgate. I want it to open faster and harder! And better yet I installed a remote solenoid switch from the cab so I could just push a button and it would immediately open.

I felt a little bad at the grocery store when I opened the tailgate and the BAAMMM made a nearby little old lady drop her groceries.

And back in my driveway before I was about to load some tools, the neighbor boy Timmy was playing behind my truck. Well he's ok, they just say he'll need a couple years to learn to talk again.

But overall, it's worth it for a tailgate that opens FAST when I need it!

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation ✈

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
As a tako, you never have to open it with your arms full. ?
True, you can stop, bend down, unload everything, open the tailgate, then bend down and pick everything back up again.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
As to interfering with removing the tailgate, I never do. If you need to remove it often, then yeah, skip the damper and just make sure you don't let the tailgate slam open.
Or you can just pop off the end at the tailgate.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I double downed and got the tailgate damper and the hood struts. ?
I love the hood struts, extremely easy to install and works like it should (or at least on pre-'22 models). =)
Sponsored