Tailgate alignment

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Are the striker latch plates adjustable on these trucks,? maybe one just needs adjustment . I know I have to close my tailgate with some authority or it won’t latch correctly
Sponsored

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Definitely not normal. Should be covered under the factory warranty. Do you have another Ford dealership close by . . . I would have a different dealer take a look at it. Not sure why your current dealership would not want to address this issue. Ford pays the bill for any warranty work the dealership performs.

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Definitely not normal. Should be covered under the factory warranty. Do you have another Ford dealership close by . . . I would have a different dealer take a look at it. Not sure why your current dealership would not want to address this issue. Ford pays the bill for any warranty work the dealership performs.
yeah, I live in the metro Nashville area so there are a few. I look after my 1 yr old full time so it would be an inconvenience to go further, but it looks like it’s headed that way. And my sentiment exactly about it being covered under warranty. It’s all sunshine and rainbows before the sale, then after....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Are the striker latch plates adjustable on these trucks,? maybe one just needs adjustment . I know I have to close my tailgate with some authority or it won’t latch correctly
I just checked mine and it doesn't look like they are. There are no slots for adjustment on the top catch but there might be a little play if you loosen the bolts but doubtful enough to close that size gap. Strange you have to close your hard because mine shuts pretty easily. Must be the damper? ;)

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
It would be interesting if you could "swap" your tailgate with another Ranger tailgate to see if the same thing happens. That might help diagnose the problem. If a different tailgate fits fine, then you know it's the tailgate. If it doesn't work, then something with the box itself may be at fault. If your tailgate does the same thing on a different vehicle I would again lead towards a defective tailgate. What if you take the tailgate off and lay it on a flat surface (protect it by laying a blanket down or something like that). You could see if it is twisted, sprung, warped, etc. Just some thoughts.

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I just checked mine and it doesn't look like they are. There are no slots for adjustment on the top catch but there might be a little play if you loosen the bolts but doubtful enough to close that size gap. Strange you have to close your hard because mine shuts pretty easily. Must be the damper? ;)
Yeah, that’s my big fear is there is no remedy and I’m up the creek. ☹

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Sort of like out hoods don't line up with the fenders?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, that’s my big fear is there is no remedy and I’m up the creek. ☹
I wouldn't stress yourself out about it to much Matt because you're covered under the warranty. You'll be fine once you get someone at your dealership that knows what's going on or a different dealer to deal with. :)

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I wouldn't stress yourself out about it to much Matt because you're covered under the warranty. You'll be fine once you get someone at your dealership that knows what's going on or a different dealer to deal with. :)
Yeah, thanks. You’re right. It’s just going through all the Mickey Mouse with dealers, warranty, etc. Just a hard pill to swallow when you buy, and bring something bright, shiny, and new home.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, thanks. You’re right. It’s just going through all the Mickey Mouse with dealers, warranty, etc. Just a hard pill to swallow when you buy, and bring something bright, shiny, and new home.
Good luck Matt - that’s frustrating but it will all work out - hang in there!

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Well, y’all...thank you for all the replies And props to runbeerfish. I just gave it a harder close and it was the solution. It pops, like it’s under slight stress, when you unlatch it...but the gap is clearly gone. Not sure it will pose a problem down the road, but it def corrected the current issue. I attached a pic.
69F13D80-312E-4111-8AC8-295AC5113BAC.jpeg

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
:thumbsup: ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, y’all...thank you for all the replies And props to runbeerfish. I just gave it a harder close and it was the solution. It pops, like it’s under slight stress, when you unlatch it...but the gap is clearly gone. Not sure it will pose a problem down the road, but it def corrected the current issue. I attached a pic.
69F13D80-312E-4111-8AC8-295AC5113BAC.jpeg
Hi Matt,

The tailgate is supposed to close tightly as tailgate rattle is difficult to diagnose but drives an owner up the wall. There is adjust ability in the side latches, so if you think you have to slam it to get it to close take it to the dealer. The slight pop you feel is very much a good thing to say you have a well adjusted tailgate.

In the 4G Ranger, and likely this 5G too, the tailgate strengthens the rear of the pickup box when in the closed position. Keeps the box sidewalls from flexing. Been many years ago when we were concerned about the proliferation of tailgate "nets" for "aero". So we ran durability on an F Series with no tailgate....rear box metal fatigue was not pretty.

Tailgate down for better Fuel Economy is a myth and has been addressed on these forums. I verified this in the Lockheed wind tunnel as well on a 4G Ranger.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
My new 2021 XLT also had that -- on the same side. It was not normal. On opening, the tailgate practically leapt out, it was under so much tension, unlike any other tailgate I've had.

1) I pointed it out to the dealership on taking delivery (factory order), and they scheduled an appointment to repair.

At home, i checked the cause: the bottom pivot point (which is not adjustable) was 1/4" closer to the truck on the driver's side, so the tailgate was not perpendicular to the sides.

The body shop said it was not perfect -- but did say that if I slam it hard it will close all the way. "Did i still want it worked on?". I mentioned that a driver shouldn't need to loudly body-slam a tailgate in the middle of the night, so I asked to continue.

They did what they could; but still 1/4" off. I asked what adjustments were available, and at home re-did the adjustment so that one side is 1/8" in, 1/8" out. That looks okay enough, and seals the canopy. Due to the pivot point placement mentioned above, this is the best it will be.

2) Just a funny story. The same occurred with its corresponding new Snugtop canopy. The driver's side would not latch. Someone at the factory had actually tried to bent the latch brackets as a hack, and it looked like quite an amateur effort (bent / distorted, and still not working).
The root cause looked to be the canopy molding: the bracket seat was tilted, compared to a flush surface on the good side.

The canopy shop fixed it. But in another appointment, they replaced the rear window (bad fiberglass cast on the original), which brought the issue back.

This technician kept trying to tell me that it was fine, and I just needed to slam it. I feared he'd shatter the glass, the slamming was so hard.

I kept showing him a normal closing pressure, and how it wouldn't engage.
In response, he kept slamming it, until it latched, and looked at me expectantly and would say "Look, it's working. This is normal."
This cycle repeated itself a few times.

Finally, to say the obvious, I said: "If one side can close with a normal pressure, why shouldn't the other side be able to close with the same pressure?"
At this, he paused, thought for a second, then nodded and without word took it in to fix. He brought it back 5 minutes later; it's fine now.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi,

I’ve been browsing this forum for several mos leading to picking up a new ranger last wknd. I’ve enjoyed the truck, but I’m just curious y’all’s thoughts on my tailgate. Passenger side is flush, but driver side is like 1/2 inch off. Lots of daylight through the gap. Called the local dealership and was made to understand that this is “normal” on the new rangers? Haven’t seen that much else on tailgate alignment on here. I’ve seen quite a bit on hood and door fitting. Regardless, guess I’m calling their body shop tomorrow.

is the build quality just absolute crap on these new rangers? I’ve posted some pics as well. Thanks advance for any insight or opinion.

8FCDC87A-A861-4C40-A796-60908A540785.jpeg
24854511-D257-4ECE-9BC4-13B1B80560A2.jpeg
That looks terrible...like teeth that are missing in a smile....and the dealer says that is the new normal...what is he selling? Kit models...dang!
Sponsored