Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi,

I’ve been browsing this forum for several mos leading to picking up a new ranger last wknd. I’ve enjoyed the truck, but I’m just curious y’all’s thoughts on my tailgate. Passenger side is flush, but driver side is like 1/2 inch off. Lots of daylight through the gap. Called the local dealership and was made to understand that this is “normal” on the new rangers? Haven’t seen that much else on tailgate alignment on here. I’ve seen quite a bit on hood and door fitting. Regardless, guess I’m calling their body shop tomorrow.

is the build quality just absolute crap on these new rangers? I’ve posted some pics as well. Thanks advance for any insight or opinion.

8FCDC87A-A861-4C40-A796-60908A540785.jpeg
24854511-D257-4ECE-9BC4-13B1B80560A2.jpeg
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Mine has a slightly larger gap on the left than right, but it's flush with the body. Not sure if that's to give more room for a damper piston, but probably not.

Yours, that's odd.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thats far from normal! I would go back to the dealer and ask to speak to the manager there and ask him. If they have any other Rangers there look at those and see what they look like. If there's another dealer in your area maybe stop there and take some pictures of those to show them or have this post open and show them the ones on here.

IMG_1442.jpg

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Yeah, thanks y’all. It’s ridiculous honestly, and I can already tell where this svc/body shop is headed. Any suggestions if/when they say it’s “normal” and to kick rocks?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, thanks y’all. It’s ridiculous honestly, and I can already tell where this svc/body shop is headed. Any suggestions if/when they say it’s “normal” and to kick rocks?
If they say that then I would call Ford corporate and open up a complaint with them. You'll be able to send them pictures of your tailgate and tell them this is what your dealer is saying is "normal".

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I don't want to plant any bad seeds, but it is possible it had some damage in transport.

But, I don't think it's normal and I would ask another dealer. Hopefully it can be adjusted without much effort. I certainly wouldn't accept it.

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I don't want to plant any bad seeds, but it is possible it had some damage in transport.

But, I don't think it's normal and I would ask another dealer. Hopefully it can be adjusted without much effort. I certainly wouldn't accept it.
Yeah, you could be right. Or could of just been sent through like that. you try and check as much as you can on the lot, didn’t even notice. Ive read about a few fit and build issues. Who knows. Depending on what my dealer says, I’ll file a complaint and seek out another dealer for a 2nd opinion as well.

The bed, doors, hood, everything else is as flush as can be. Nothing crooked or off center.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
First of all ensure its completely latched all the way. If it was not completely latched it may still be a little out of adjustment even when completely latched. If you have Torx bits you can adjust the striker yourself and save dealership hassle.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
First of all ensure its completely latched all the way. If it was not completely latched it may still be a little out of adjustment even when completely latched. If you have torn bits you can adjust the striker yourself and save dealership hassle.
it latches completely and normally, but obviously off. I wouldn’t even know where to begin a DIY, nor do I think I have the correct tools.

RunBeerFish

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Substation Electrician
I added a damper to my tailgate. When I closed it I noticed a large gap. I adjusted the strikers to the point that it was hard to open. Turns out I wasn't closing it all the way. There are 2 positions on the latch. A soft close and full close. Needless to say, I adjusted everything back to where it was and the tailgate is aligned and closes beautifully. Make sure your tailgate is latching securely before you head to the dealership.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi,

I’ve been browsing this forum for several mos leading to picking up a new ranger last wknd. I’ve enjoyed the truck, but I’m just curious y’all’s thoughts on my tailgate. Passenger side is flush, but driver side is like 1/2 inch off. Lots of daylight through the gap. Called the local dealership and was made to understand that this is “normal” on the new rangers? Haven’t seen that much else on tailgate alignment on here. I’ve seen quite a bit on hood and door fitting. Regardless, guess I’m calling their body shop tomorrow.

is the build quality just absolute crap on these new rangers? I’ve posted some pics as well. Thanks advance for any insight or opinion.

8FCDC87A-A861-4C40-A796-60908A540785.jpeg
24854511-D257-4ECE-9BC4-13B1B80560A2.jpeg
Mine is not like that.

OP
OP

Matt20714

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I added a damper to my tailgate. When I closed it I noticed a large gap. I adjusted the strikers to the point that it was hard to open. Turns out I wasn't closing it all the way. There are 2 positions on the latch. A soft close and full close. Needless to say, I adjusted everything back to where it was and the tailgate is aligned and closes beautifully. Make sure your tailgate is latching securely before you head to the dealership.
Interesting, had no clue about the soft and full close. I want to say I’ve done it both ways, but I’ll def give it a harder close this evening and see if it’s a diff result. I think I covered my bases, but won’t hurt to try. Thank you for the info.