First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
I've only driven the Dynapros through roughly half a winter. I've found their deep snow performance to be absolute garbage. Wasn't impressed by how they handled ice either. Lucky for them I'm cheap so they'll stay around until I kill them a bit more.
I have heard a few report about the ATM Dynapro not being the best for winter but I've also heard that that siping makes a big difference and it sounds like the new at2 Dynapro has improved for winter conditions. But for me at least and this point in my life I don't spend much of any time In snow or ice so I'm not too concerned about winter performance.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've only driven the Dynapros through roughly half a winter. I've found their deep snow performance to be absolute garbage. Wasn't impressed by how they handled ice either. Lucky for them I'm cheap so they'll stay around until I kill them a bit more.
How deep?

I recall, in our '02 Tacoma, I drove from Loveland to Brighton, on paved back roads in snow varying from 6 inches to 18 inches and they never gave me a reason to doubt them.

I wonder if it's the tires... or the truck? Ever driven another vehicle that had the Hankooks on them, or a new Ranger that didn't have Hankooks?

Just wondering where you are getting your point of reference from?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
How deep?

I recall, in our '02 Tacoma, I drove from Loveland to Brighton, on paved back roads in snow varying from 6 inches to 18 inches and they never gave me a reason to doubt them.

I wonder if it's the tires... or the truck? Ever driven another vehicle that had the Hankooks on them, or a new Ranger that didn't have Hankooks?

Just wondering where you are getting your point of reference from?
2? 2 1/2 ft? I don't really keep track of snow depths, there's "not bad," "kinda sketchy," and "stay home," in my book. Whatever it was we got here on the front range this last winter. Unpacked, fresh tracks.

Was it the truck or the tires? Could be the truck, but the tire's grip deteriorated quickly and the truck's equipment had to overcome. With better tires I'm sure I wouldn't have needed snow mode, 4lo, or rear locker.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
That's actually the tire I'm pretty set on getting although I think it's now called at2 or ATM2. After looking at a lot of different tires, their height width and weight I think the hankook's are probably my best bet in a 265 70 17.
I have the Hankook Dynapro AT2 on my FX4. The original tire was a Hankook Dynapro ATM size LT265/65R17 with C load range rating. The replacement Hankook Dynapro AT2 is size 265/70R17 with standard load rating. If you have ATM with LT and/or C load range, then it is three-peak snow rated, but if you have standard load ATM tires, then they are not snow rated. All of the AT2 tires are three-peak snow rated. It seems that the AT2 is the replacement for the ATM although Ford still uses ATM and the ATM are still available in many sizes. When shopping I noticed that ATM were sometimes listed as clearance or started to disappear in certain sizes. The AT2 don't appear to be as aggressive as the ATM, but some Youtube reviewers indicate a slight improvement in off-road performance for the AT2.

When driving to the tire store I listened to my tire noise, then compared them to the new tires. The new tires were quieter although I never thought the ATM were noisy.

OP
OP

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farmer
I have the Hankook Dynapro AT2 on my FX4. The original tire was a Hankook Dynapro ATM size LT265/65R17 with C load range rating. The replacement Hankook Dynapro AT2 is size 265/70R17 with standard load rating. If you have ATM with LT and/or C load range, then it is three-peak snow rated, but if you have standard load ATM tires, then they are not snow rated. All of the AT2 tires are three-peak snow rated. It seems that the AT2 is the replacement for the ATM although Ford still uses ATM and the ATM are still available in many sizes. When shopping I noticed that ATM were sometimes listed as clearance or started to disappear in certain sizes. The AT2 don't appear to be as aggressive as the ATM, but some Youtube reviewers indicate a slight improvement in off-road performance for the AT2.

When driving to the tire store I listened to my tire noise, then compared them to the new tires. The new tires were quieter although I never thought the ATM were noisy.
Did you consider going to the next size above the 265 70 17? Which I believe is a 285/70r17.

OP
OP

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farmer
What I find interesting is that if you go to an 18-inch wheel you can get a 265 70 that is the same width as that size on a 17in wheel but almost an inch taller then on the 17 inch wheel. And the weight difference between that same size versus a 17 or 18 inch wheel is only one pound, at least in the toyo Tire at3 list. So as I'm thinking if a guy wants to go to a bit taller tire without going wider and much heavier then your option would be to go up to an 18 inch wheel.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Did you consider going to the next size above the 265 70 17? Which I believe is a 285/70r17.
No. One of my goals was to reduce the weight. Old tire weighed 44 lbs. New tires are 39 lbs. Going to 285/70R17 would put it around 50 lbs and would probably require suspension modification.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So I was able to pick up a factory set of wheels and tires from a different model Ranger for about six hundred bucks nearly brand new.
My main reason for wanting more of a Road tire setup was due to the fact that I live on a gravel road and the stock Tremor tires collect way too much Rock, fairly big ones at that, and start chucking them everywhere as soon as you get on the highway. Since most of the time I don't need an aggressive Tire I decided to try these other tires. What I end up with is a factory 18in gloss black wheel with the factory Hancock Dynapro ATM.
It comes in a 265/60r18 which is a bit shorter by about an inch and to my surprise also the wheels come with a different offset by about an inch or so. I can't remember which way is which but the factory Tremor Wheels stick out roughly about an inch more then the black ones and most likely an inch more than any of the other Ranger Wheels.
Weight difference between each Wheel and Tire is 3.5 lbs.
Was actually expecting more of a difference.
I would like to Dismount the tires and figure out the weight difference between the wheels as I would assume these black 18-in wheels probably way more then the gray 17 inch wheels found on the tremor.
I'd bet the dynapro atm is quite a bit lighter then the General grappler atx which has most here know is a 265/70r17.
Just trying them out for now to see how they perform compared to the tremor wheel and tire set up.
Take off feel is better and seems like a may get about 2 or so better mpg, but we'll see.

DSC_1429.JPG

DSC_1427.JPG

DSC_1425.JPG
So I am curious, how are you liking the different tire size? Seeing any differences in acceleration, handling, ride?

I have noticed in tests, the Tremor is on average .3 or more slower to 60mph than a Ranger with the shorter tire. Found that interesting. Also, mileage suffers.

I know many will say, just tune it and gain it back. But, if you are tuned and do not get a heavier/taller tire, will you not gain even more?

Trying to play devil's advocate.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
There is still a pretty significant rake to even the tremor, I measured about a two and a half inch difference.
Mine is just under 2" by a hair. Guessing to keep the payload and towing capacity since it is a mid sized pickup truck with class leading towing and payload. I've seen Ranger Raptors in pictures and in person while traveling overseas and they too have roughly a 2" +/- rake.

OP
OP

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farmer
So I am curious, how are you liking the different tire size? Seeing any differences in acceleration, handling, ride?

I have noticed in tests, the Tremor is on average .3 or more slower to 60mph than a Ranger with the shorter tire. Found that interesting. Also, mileage suffers.

I know many will say, just tune it and gain it back. But, if you are tuned and do not get a heavier/taller tire, will you not gain even more?

Trying to play devil's advocate.
I can't honestly say for sure there is any performance difference, but I think so. The tires are little quieter then the factory Tremor tires, and I'm definitely getting roughly three miles per gallon better.
The fact is anytime you drop weight or go to smaller Tire there's going to be a performance difference.
The only complaint I have is the fact that these wheels are stuck in the wheel well a little bit more and I don't like the look as well, and the smaller Tire looks a little bit odd as well. But maybe that's because I'm used to the look with a bigger tire and an offset that sticks the wheel and tire out a little bit farther. As far as the way it drives I like it, what I don't like about it is all in looks not performance.
I'm also tuned with a Ford performance tune, just got that installed 4 or 5 days ago.

Can't remember if I posted this already or not, either way I'll post it again the factory set up on the Tremor was 71.5 pounds per Wheel and Tire, the black wheels with a 265/ 60r18, weighs 68 lb.
So that's a total of 14 lbs in weight savings. Not much but since it's rotating weight it's actually quite a bit.
I actually thought it would be a bit more, would be curious to know the actual weight of the wheels and tires themselves. At some point here I'm sure I will get that figured out.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I can't honestly say for sure there is any performance difference, but I think so. The tires are little quieter then the factory Tremor tires, and I'm definitely getting roughly three miles per gallon better.
The fact is anytime you drop weight or go to smaller Tire there's going to be a performance difference.
The only complaint I have is the fact that these wheels are stuck in the wheel well a little bit more and I don't like the look as well, and the smaller Tire looks a little bit odd as well. But maybe that's because I'm used to the look with a bigger tire and an offset that sticks the wheel and tire out a little bit farther. As far as the way it drives I like it, what I don't like about it is all in looks not performance.
I'm also tuned with a Ford performance tune, just got that installed 4 or 5 days ago.

Can't remember if I posted this already or not, either way I'll post it again the factory set up on the Tremor was 71.5 pounds per Wheel and Tire, the black wheels with a 265/ 60r18, weighs 68 lb.
So that's a total of 14 lbs in weight savings. Not much but since it's rotating weight it's actually quite a bit.
I actually thought it would be a bit more, would be curious to know the actual weight of the wheels and tires themselves. At some point here I'm sure I will get that figured out.
Thanks. It's nice to have that feedback. I agree that filling the wheel-wells looks better, but I lean more towards performance when it comes to that stuff. I love to see those 18s with a more aggressive stock sized tire like Ridge Grappler or even a Toyo AT3. A more aggressive tire might help the looks. The two I listed also keep the weight down.

Your wider wheel well flares don't help either. It would make those 18s look really tucked in.

Rangerwig

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red Ranger Lariot
Occupation
Professional Driver
So I was able to pick up a factory set of wheels and tires from a different model Ranger for about six hundred bucks nearly brand new.
My main reason for wanting more of a Road tire setup was due to the fact that I live on a gravel road and the stock Tremor tires collect way too much Rock, fairly big ones at that, and start chucking them everywhere as soon as you get on the highway. Since most of the time I don't need an aggressive Tire I decided to try these other tires. What I end up with is a factory 18in gloss black wheel with the factory Hancock Dynapro ATM.
It comes in a 265/60r18 which is a bit shorter by about an inch and to my surprise also the wheels come with a different offset by about an inch or so. I can't remember which way is which but the factory Tremor Wheels stick out roughly about an inch more then the black ones and most likely an inch more than any of the other Ranger Wheels.
Weight difference between each Wheel and Tire is 3.5 lbs.
Was actually expecting more of a difference.
I would like to Dismount the tires and figure out the weight difference between the wheels as I would assume these black 18-in wheels probably way more then the gray 17 inch wheels found on the tremor.
I'd bet the dynapro atm is quite a bit lighter then the General grappler atx which has most here know is a 265/70r17.
Just trying them out for now to see how they perform compared to the tremor wheel and tire set up.
Take off feel is better and seems like a may get about 2 or so better mpg, but we'll see.

DSC_1429.JPG

DSC_1427.JPG

DSC_1425.JPG
Go to tire rack.com and they have all the specs for almost every tire out there . Thats where i bought my wheels and tires.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
This is a great site for all the math and numbers on tire sizes, comparison between sizes, and even a rim off-set calculator.

Nice to have all the numbers available to know your fuel mileage, and speedo adjustment in advance.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
A little advanced calculus indicates that the Tremor wheel weighs 25.5lbs, which is about 2lbs lighter than the OE Sport wheels.. if someone who has these laying around can confirm.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
LOL I will bet that the Ford engineers and marketing people are laughing their asses off at this thread. ROTFLOL :facepalm: :rockon::lipssealed::explode:
Sponsored