Super Crew rear seat removal

sirgeorgee

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Day 4 consisted of the top platform and having to re-work it from my original idea. Nothing major, I just had to re-do where the supports were. I completely took Saturday off and did some minor adjustments on Sunday. Today I decided I was happy with just about everything and went ahead and got a large utility rug from Lowes and started cutting. I've only done a couple pieces so far, and still need to finish the sides (cut-to-size plywood), but here's the progress so far.
20200427_175208.jpg
20200427_175221.jpg
20200427_175239.jpg

Only thing I really need to add is a gun holster right in front of the power plugs in the rear center console. And yes, I've confirmed it can support all 190lb of me with no sway. My original mockup was a rocking chair ?. Truck is getting lifted tomorrow so I doubt much progress will be made soon. For those wondering, if my math is right, I can hold 7 large pizzas on driver side drawer and 5 on passenger side. Not that I deliver pizza, but that's our new unit of measure.
any updates on this? found a sweet local storage unit to store all my misc truck stuff! focusing all day Thursday-Saturday on this little project- planning to make it flat, with molly pockets for offroading/camping gear!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
any updates on this? found a sweet local storage unit to store all my misc truck stuff! focusing all day Thursday-Saturday on this little project- planning to make it flat, with molly pockets for offroading/camping gear!
That's where I'm at right now. Shop had truck all day yesterday and I've been at work all day. Probably won't see any more progress until Saturday.

Fin

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Ranger XLT
Occupation
semi-retired
Any updates?
This is a mod I want to do as well. ?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger is probably to new for one to be on the market, but there are companies that make sleeper seats for crewcab pickups. I considered one for my 1999 Crewcab Super Duty.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@Ryandude2448
Does your rear middle seat belt still work after you removed it? I pulled mine out along with the rear seat and back wall carpet to start my sound deadening and sub install, and now it will not extend/release. It just keeps ratcheting in and stays locked.

Edit: Nvm. Figured it out. It has some mechanism in it and will only work when its vertical and has a piece of steel next to the black piece (or obviously re-installed). Crisis averted. :whew:

Last edited:

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
@Ryandude2448
Does your rear middle seat belt still work after you removed it? I pulled mine out along with the rear seat and back wall carpet to start my sound deadening and sub install, and now it will not extend/release. It just keeps ratcheting in and stays locked.

Edit: Nvm. Figured it out. It has some mechanism in it and will only work when its vertical and has a piece of steel next to the black piece (or obviously re-installed). Crisis averted. :whew:
I think I've seen it, but where's your backseat build? Is there pics?

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Page 1 !!
I don't see it. I am looking for taking the seats out, adding a small storage area and maybe a sound upgrade. I use the truck for moving dogs (and I'm a rescue that specializes in pretty feral dogs), so the entire back is like a kennel. I also use it for the beach, offroad and driving to my real job and a better sound system would be great.

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Long time no update. Since the last pictures were posted, I didn't really add on anything else apart from the magnetic gun holster and a tiny bit more 'carpet' to complete the look. 6 months later and about 10k miles in, everything is still holding and fully functional.
Two weeks ago I set out on a 4 day/2600 mile road trip and slept on the platform two nights. The first night I slept on it, I was in the middle of absolute nowhere and it was 30 degrees outside. I had picked up a queen size foam pad, folded it in half, and was able to also roll up a portion of it into a pillow. I also brought my regular comforter for extra warmth/padding. Not going to lie, I slept 6 full hours with no problem and felt great, even given the fact I had to curl up a little bit. Plenty of side space, little tight on the door to door space (head to toe).
I used the driver side drawer to hold any tools and emergency items I might need. The passenger side held all my dry food for the week. Although it's not ideal to grab a snack while driving, I deliberately made the back end of this drawer a little shallow so my hand could fit and grab a snack. It was nice so I didn't have to get out in the freezing rain. I had the cooler in the bed which, of course, held most of my drinks and cold food.
The second night I slept in the back was at a rest stop about 500ft from I-10. Even in the middle of the night I was pretty surprised at how loud the truck was...not as much of an issue while driving, but I don't think it was designed to be slept in, lol. I got about 4 good hours of sleep, which was all I needed to complete the remaining 450 miles home.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with how the thing turned out. It's already paid for itself and proven to be useful and durable, and that's all I can ask for at this point. I'd post more pics of the thing, but like I said, it's basically unchanged from what's already been posted... so here's a couple pics from my trip.
Screenshot_20201112-040533_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201112-040453_Gallery.jpg

Arsenal741

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Project Lead
Do you just live with the rear seatbelt fault message or did you find a way to remove it? I just removed my rear seats and seat belts but now every time I start the truck, I get a fault on the dash that I have to clear out and it sends me a text on my Ford sync phone account every time which is quite annoying. I suppose I could just put the seat belts back in but I would rather leave those out..

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you just live with the rear seatbelt fault message or did you find a way to remove it? I just removed my rear seats and seat belts but now every time I start the truck, I get a fault on the dash that I have to clear out and it sends me a text on my Ford sync phone account every time which is quite annoying. I suppose I could just put the seat belts back in but I would rather leave those out..
Just fasten the seat belt to the buckle underneath whatever setup you're going for. It'll stop (at least it did for me)

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a Pic but I built a platform for my dogs in my.f150, with the seat bottoms flipped up and locked I used 1 by material for the frame, all one piece. Notched ro.go over the seat brackets. Then I made a top with the frame made of 1x2 and 1/4" plywood on top. There was plenty of cross bracing, it never sagged. The 1x2 rim slipped over the bottom frame and it self locked in place like a lid on a shoe box. Covered the top with carpet pad and a piece of outdoor carpet. I slept on it once, dog loved it. She could stand and look out the windows or sit. I moved both front seats forward to get it in and out in 2 pieces, made it to size so both front seats could scoot all the way back. If I can find a Pic on my external drive I will post it.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, turns out I was right.

Quick PSA/DIY: removing rear seat is super easy.
All you need is a 13mm(or 1/2 inch socket) and a torx t50 socket. I'd highly recommend a power drill, or at least a 9" extender on your ratchet because there is NO room in between the door jamb.
First step is to fold up the seat bottom. Remove the t-50 bolt that holds the seat belt bracket in place. There's an elastic band holding it down. Just feed the belt up through that (and the other seat belt). There's also one plug you have to undo, the only thing I think it might be for is to monitor if a rear occupant is not wearing their seat belt. Why we actually need that....idk.

There's four 13mm bolts that hold the whole assembly in place. Two on each side underneath a flap of carpet. Undo those.
...and that's it.
SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES

20200420_120904.jpg
20200420_120948.jpg
20200420_124522.jpg
Snapchat-1468896020.jpg
Nice, my question, the support box for the seat, what does it cover? there seems to be a lot of room not used just two holes for storage and tools. I would love to take the whole thing out install simple seat supports and there would be a lot more room. Your comments?
Sponsored