Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to see if anyone has removed their rear seats in their crew cab. To the best of my knowledge and what I can figure out, the entire bottom and back is attached to a frame design that is all one large piece held in by four bolts. The only issue I see is the seat belt that runs down the middle. Even if I undo those (very different) bolts, I'm not sure there's enough room to push the bottom seatbelt bracket through the seat bottom.
The idea is to build a storage container/platform to sleep on in its place. Even being 6ft tall, I'd only have to curl up a tiny bit. Plenty of room back there. Just wanted to see if anyone has experience with that yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, turns out I was right.

Quick PSA/DIY: removing rear seat is super easy.
All you need is a 13mm(or 1/2 inch socket) and a torx t50 socket. I'd highly recommend a power drill, or at least a 9" extender on your ratchet because there is NO room in between the door jamb.
First step is to fold up the seat bottom. Remove the t-50 bolt that holds the seat belt bracket in place. There's an elastic band holding it down. Just feed the belt up through that (and the other seat belt). There's also one plug you have to undo, the only thing I think it might be for is to monitor if a rear occupant is not wearing their seat belt. Why we actually need that....idk.

There's four 13mm bolts that hold the whole assembly in place. Two on each side underneath a flap of carpet. Undo those.
...and that's it.
SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES

20200420_120904.jpg
20200420_120948.jpg
20200420_124522.jpg
Snapchat-1468896020.jpg

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
you going to make a platform or leave be? lots of rooms back there!!

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
you going to make a platform or leave be? lots of rooms back there!!
Going to make a platform this week. I wasn't sure exactly what I'd be working with, but now I'm getting a plan ready tonight. Going to run a couple different designs through my head.
Right now it seems to be the max size is 29" deep x 53" wide x 20" tall. I could make it much taller but I still want to put the front seats in full recline. Other thing I'm stuck on is how in going to use the extra space- drawers or open pass through compartment, etc. I built this trunk platform for my old car to allow access of a full size spare. Held 300lb through corners no problem. Same basic idea with this one!

20181124_151949.jpg

Cmd

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat supercrew
Occupation
Engineer
Hell yeah! I plan on doing this same sort of thing once I find a place to store my seat. I measured diagonal with the passenger seat forward to the back corner and it's about 66in. I'm 5'9 so it's only a little bit short but it's gonna be super tight for you.

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Hell yeah! I plan on doing this same sort of thing once I find a place to store my seat. I measured diagonal with the passenger seat forward to the back corner and it's about 66in. I'm 5'9 so it's only a little bit short but it's gonna be super tight for you.
It's going to be a little bit tight, but I'm using it more for storage than sleeping. I'll be ok the handful of times I actually use it. I'm eyeing a decent twin size air mattress. Perfect width and height, but a little long. Built in pads against the doors, lol.
I have my seat wrapped up and put in my outside storage room of my apartment. To be honest, I'll probably turn it into actual furniture (garage piece?) after this. The seat is pretty comfy...
I made a couple cuts today to start the base, so hopefully I'll have some of it done tomorrow or Thursday. I'm getting it lifted when parts come in, I just don't know when that will be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, day two of the build. What I've done so far is just the base of the platform. It's only going up from here. I do plan on putting in a little carpet to hide the rough edges. I had to get just enough clearance underneath for the seat belts, and since the back is already raised up just a bit compared to the middle, I ran the bottom boards sideways (and cut the back edges at about 5 degrees) instead of long ways. I used the seat rail bolt closest to the door to secure the platform to the truck, then screwed a board over the top of the factory seat rail bolts. This gives just enough clearance to tuck the seat belts and wires underneath the platform with no worries. There's still some space to access the little cubbies. Since nothing rigid can really go in there anyway, they're a little narrow but still functional. The boards are treated 1.25"x6", or 1"x5.5" actual size. And 4x4 (3.5"x3.5") supports in the footwell. All 190lb of me is sitting on the middle as I type this, lol. I think I'm going to call it a day for now and do the pull out drawers next. I plan on having them just off kilter since the doors dont open a full 90 degrees-id rather have the extra couple inches of width than the couple inches of length.
20200422_132935.jpg

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Really like the way you are headed. I have also considered removing the rear seat and building a platform. just use the rear seat too much currently.

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Really like the way you are headed. I have also considered removing the rear seat and building a platform. just use the rear seat too much currently.
I feel that. It wouldn't be too hard to build a smaller one that can be taken out in one piece, if that's what you had in mind. Just fold it "up" from the back side and slide out.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Love the concept but that's some heavy lumber when you add it all up. Considered a 2.0 with lighter weight material?

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Love the concept but that's some heavy lumber when you add it all up. Considered a 2.0 with lighter weight material?
It might be a little hefty, probably adding about 60lb total. I should learn how to weld for the 2.0. Lol

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I was thinking craft it out of foam and fiberglass wrap it.

OP
OP
Ryandude2448

Ryandude2448

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Day 4 consisted of the top platform and having to re-work it from my original idea. Nothing major, I just had to re-do where the supports were. I completely took Saturday off and did some minor adjustments on Sunday. Today I decided I was happy with just about everything and went ahead and got a large utility rug from Lowes and started cutting. I've only done a couple pieces so far, and still need to finish the sides (cut-to-size plywood), but here's the progress so far.
20200427_175208.jpg
20200427_175221.jpg
20200427_175239.jpg

Only thing I really need to add is a gun holster right in front of the power plugs in the rear center console. And yes, I've confirmed it can support all 190lb of me with no sway. My original mockup was a rocking chair ?. Truck is getting lifted tomorrow so I doubt much progress will be made soon. For those wondering, if my math is right, I can hold 7 large pizzas on driver side drawer and 5 on passenger side. Not that I deliver pizza, but that's our new unit of measure.
Sponsored