Crew Cab Back Seat Removal?

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2020 Explorer ST
Occupation
Software Engineer, EMT, Amateur Rocket Scientist
Let's face it, unless you're hauling kids, it's about as useless as the back seat of a Mustang. I'm 6'3", so my front seats are always all the way back. I frequently use the back of the cab for hauling stuff I don't want banging around the bed or exposed to the heat and cold (music gear). I would have a TON more space if the back seat was not there. Folding it up is essentially pointless, as you actually seem to lose space!

We have the ST for road trips and hauling more than 2 people, so I'm not really concerned about losing the passenger space. It might become more of an issue when we finally get kids and my wife and I are running two different directions, but I would still only put it back in when needed.

Has anyone tried removing the back seat? How easy is it?
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Let's face it, unless you're hauling kids, it's about as useless as the back seat of a Mustang. I'm 6'3", so my front seats are always all the way back. I frequently use the back of the cab for hauling stuff I don't want banging around the bed or exposed to the heat and cold (music gear). I would have a TON more space if the back seat was not there. Folding it up is essentially pointless, as you actually seem to lose space!

We have the ST for road trips and hauling more than 2 people, so I'm not really concerned about losing the passenger space. It might become more of an issue when we finally get kids and my wife and I are running two different directions, but I would still only put it back in when needed.

Has anyone tried removing the back seat? How easy is it?
I believe some have and just put a deck as there is the big mound that the seat sits on, depending on how flexible you are should just be a couple bolts

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I think I have about $200 invested in my rear seat delete if you include all the accessories. That covers the wood, upholstery, struts, locks, molle panels, and molle pouches. I am actually re-doing a new bottom platform right now with 1x4's instead of 2x4's because I wanted to change p some things on it and add some extra 2" ventilation holes with 50mm 12v PC fans due to all my aux electrical being contained within.

To answer your question: Removing the back seat takes nothing more than removing some bolts and fishing the seat belts through the bench.

IMG_20220606_204849.jpg

IMG_20220606_205132.jpg

IMG_20220607_195641.jpg

IMG_20220527_201659.jpg

IMG_20220607_192547.jpg

IMG_20220527_201730.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think I have about $200 invested in my rear seat delete if you include all the accessories. That covers the wood, upholstery, struts, locks, molle panels, and molle pouches. I am actually re-doing a new bottom platform right now with 1x4's instead of 2x4's because I wanted to change p some things on it and add some extra 2" ventilation holes with 50mm 12v PC fans due to all my aux electrical being contained within.

To answer your question: Removing the back seat takes nothing more than removing some bolts and fishing the seat belts through the bench.
That is a sweet setup! I'm an EMT, so having a place to stow an IFAK, my trauma bag, and some turnout gear would be awesome. Right now, it just sits on the back seat. I also carry, but I'm looking at the console vault for a lockable solution for when I can't take it in with me or need to lock up my mags and gun separately when traveling through Communist territories ;). Any links to where you got supplies? I'm not much of a woodworker. I wonder if there's anyone building units?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
That is a sweet setup! I'm an EMT, so having a place to stow an IFAK, my trauma bag, and some turnout gear would be awesome. Right now, it just sits on the back seat. I also carry, but I'm looking at the console vault for a lockable solution for when I can't take it in with me or need to lock up my mags and gun separately when traveling through Communist territories ;). Any links to where you got supplies? I'm not much of a woodworker. I wonder if there's anyone building units?
I plan on putting up a DIY guide in the next couple of weeks. My design is nothing more than a few pieces of straight wood to make some squares nothing I built conforms to any shape regarding the floor. What I built can be done by anyone with just a miter saw or a skill saw to cut the wood.

The rest of the components are going to vary depending on what somebody wants to install. For example the floor panels use standard cam locks for a bit of security while the rear wall uses hidden RFID access locks with a key card.

The finish can be any number of things from vinyl wrapped to stained to painted to upholstered.

OP
OP

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m thinking black carpet on the base with hatches for the compartments underneath and molle strips all along the back wall.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Love the delete idea as I await my truck order, one critical concern:

How much did interior noise increase? How did you mitigate?

i understand the seats cover vents that equalize air pressure. Those vents let in lots of driving noise without seat upholstery covering them.

What I’ve read anyway. Any observations?

StarLord

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX4
OP
OP

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does anyone have part numbers for the rear seat delete kit and the cargo hatches that cover the cubbies? I’ve been trying all manner of searches on levittownfordparts.com and can’t find them!
Sponsored