SSM 49264 - Climate Control Temperature Will Not Adjust With Clicking/Snapping Noise From The Dash

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT

I just ordered a generic heater control valve to install inline and hopefully prevent the dreaded heater box warpage. These trucks have full heat through the heater core at all times leading to all kinds of failures (planned ?). I'm glad i don't have the big screen (hint). No dual control either. The AC is also constant and I am going to try switching the AC clutch off. These trucks are either too hot or too cold and in constant correction. A stupid design IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-B...13bc6c195e3cb18534e2f802063748&language=en_US

Sponsored

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
well parts finally came in and i dropped the ranger off this morning to get this fixed. They said 2 days, so fingers crossed it gets done on time and fixed correctly. Had to get a rental because they had no loaners.

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Hawk Topper
Occupation
Retired
New Update: After putting in the complaint with Ford Corporate Canada and speaking with the dealer about this heater box issue, now the 2nd actuator has failed. Back on the phone with the dealer and finally they have agreed to change out the heater box. As I am now out of warranty, this repair bill is $2500. Ford Corp. has stepped up and will cover everything except $100. The 1st actuator was replaced under warranty. So total out of my pocket will be $150 for the diagnosis after warranty ended, $150 to replace the 2nd actuator and $100 for the heater box replacement. Kind of a pain to pay $450 when there is a TSB out on this exact issue but with the summer heat now upon us here is Ontario, I can be cool again. I'll take it. Truck goes in for repair next Tuesday.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Sucks you still have to pay when the dealer ahould have taken care of it in the first place. At least its getting done

Carmell269

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electric motor mechanic
*BREAKING NEWS*

Put your pitchforks away, the dash doesn't have to come out.

I too was staring down the barrel of a warranty repair and a dash that rattles for the rest of time. But that just really wasn't in the cards for me. So I went rogue...I have no idea if the dealer will cooperate and replace my actuator for me since they didn't do the work. But even the ~$35 I would have to pay on my own for the actuator is WAY better than having the dash pulled.

I present to you...the trick

Just wondering if yours is still ok after replacing the actuator ? I know for me it’s only a matter of time before I’m faced with the same thing and can’t fathom someone who doesn’t care about my truck doing this invasive repair.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
New Update: After putting in the complaint with Ford Corporate Canada and speaking with the dealer about this heater box issue, now the 2nd actuator has failed. Back on the phone with the dealer and finally they have agreed to change out the heater box. As I am now out of warranty, this repair bill is $2500. Ford Corp. has stepped up and will cover everything except $100. The 1st actuator was replaced under warranty. So total out of my pocket will be $150 for the diagnosis after warranty ended, $150 to replace the 2nd actuator and $100 for the heater box replacement. Kind of a pain to pay $450 when there is a TSB out on this exact issue but with the summer heat now upon us here is Ontario, I can be cool again. I'll take it. Truck goes in for repair next Tuesday.
That sucks, but at least they are eating some of the cost. Should have been a recall as this appears to be a very common issue, but Ford doesn't want to eat the time/cost for a labor intensive fix. I think their plan is to let these go, hoping warranty expires before customer has issues.Then they can play the "goodguy" by helping with some of the cost while avoiding a full warranty payout. My truck was supposed to be done today,but wonders of wonders it isn't, so now i have to extend rental another day, still on my dime. Ford is going to reimburse me, but i still have the full cost i have to pay out till i get the check. I just hope my truck comes back in same condition i dropped it off in.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Hate to say it but I have no faith in this truck anymore for the long term. Certainly going to get traded in on something else before my extended warranty is up. I do like this truck, just can't trust it to last now.

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That sucks, but at least they are eating some of the cost. Should have been a recall as this appears to be a very common issue, but Ford doesn't want to eat the time/cost for a labor intensive fix. I think their plan is to let these go, hoping warranty expires before customer has issues.Then they can play the "goodguy" by helping with some of the cost while avoiding a full warranty payout. My truck was supposed to be done today,but wonders of wonders it isn't, so now i have to extend rental another day, still on my dime. Ford is going to reimburse me, but i still have the full cost i have to pay out till i get the check. I just hope my truck comes back in same condition i dropped it off in.
I will be doing a video of all the panels before it goes in just as a CYA. Good thing is the tech doing it the one who does all their dash work so he knows what he is doing. They say the dash comes out in one piece so I’m hoping it will go ok.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Well my "2 days" repair has been a week lol. Had rental, but they ended up having a loaner returned early, so i was able to drop off the rental and swap into a dealer supplied car. I actually really miss my truck now! Guess absence does make the heart grow fonder!

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Ok, got truck back this afternoon, everything works as it should, no rattles or squeaks. Have to take it back to get shifter adjusted though, drive to sport travel is like a 1/4 inch and not locking in. Damper for glove box also needs hooked back up. I went to open it to put insurance card back in and it just flopped. Oh well, minor glitch, pretty happy everything seems tight and no damage to panels

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Got my truck in today to have glove box damper hooked back up and shifter adjusted. Even though service dpt was super busy, they got to me quick. Unfortunately, the shifter couldn't be adjusted because it was broke! So it had to either broke when they took it apart, or put it back together, because it was fine when i dropped it off. So they are ordering me a replacement, so I will have to go back to have it replaced. If it were not for the warranty,all the issues I've had with this truck would have put me in the poorhouse. Kudos to the dealership for taking care of all the problems I've had promptly, but holy cow, It sure makes me question whether or not I"m going to get another ranger, or even a Ford for that matter when I trade it in in another year or so.
Although on the plus side, if this keeps up i will end up have everything replaced and have a virtually new truck!

Last edited:

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My 2020 went in today and I'm happy to say its now snowing on the drivers side. No scratches or marks on the dash so it looks like I got the good tech. Nice and cold and no squeaks! I hope this is the end of this heater box issue. Ford Corp did come through and paid all but $100 of the $2500 bill and gave me 2 years warranty on the box so I'm a happy Ranger owner once again.
With the money I saved, now I can afford that damper!!!!! Haha ---- NEVER!

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
My 2019 Ranger went into the ford dealer yesterday for diagnosis, and they determined it does indeed need the whole heater box replaced due to a warped blend door. I have less than 2 months of warranty left so as much as I don’t want the dash removed from my Ranger, I’m glad Ford is taking care of it. The parts are available except for a couple of O rings needed to complete the job so who knows how long it will take to get everything here.

I was honestly worried that the dealer would tell me there was nothing they could do since the heat/ac was currently working just fine. I can turn the temp all the way up and down with no issue right now. But the day I stopped at the dealership to schedule the appointment, it was stuck on heat and I asked the service advisor twice if he would come outside to my Ranger so I could show him it was broken. He never did, but luckily they found that there was a history of a "left temperature damper motor fault detected." So I think that saved me. Now to wait on parts.

F74D0FAB-4A91-4474-9823-991926ECB873.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My 2019 Ranger went into the ford dealer yesterday for diagnosis, and they determined it does indeed need the whole heater box replaced due to a warped blend door. I have less than 2 months of warranty left so as much as I don’t want the dash removed from my Ranger, I’m glad Ford is taking care of it. The parts are available except for a couple of O rings needed to complete the job so who knows how long it will take to get everything here.

I was honestly worried that the dealer would tell me there was nothing they could do since the heat/ac was currently working just fine. I can turn the temp all the way up and down with no issue right now. But the day I stopped at the dealership to schedule the appointment, it was stuck on heat and I asked the service advisor twice if he would come outside to my Ranger so I could show him it was broken. He never did, but luckily they found that there was a history of a "left temperature damper motor fault detected." So I think that saved me. Now to wait on parts.

F74D0FAB-4A91-4474-9823-991926ECB873.jpeg
Dash still has to.come out. The blend door is in the distribution box and the box is what warps. Still have to replace the box assemblie

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
My 2020 went in today and I'm happy to say its now snowing on the drivers side. No scratches or marks on the dash so it looks like I got the good tech. Nice and cold and no squeaks! I hope this is the end of this heater box issue. Ford Corp did come through and paid all but $100 of the $2500 bill and gave me 2 years warranty on the box so I'm a happy Ranger owner once again.
With the money I saved, now I can afford that damper!!!!! Haha ---- NEVER!
Awesome! Glad everything worked out for you. My air is super cold now too, works better than when it was brand new, just in time for the summer heat!
Sponsored