SPD Performance Downpipe

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Anyone have any issues running the Borla exhaust with ford performance tune and the down pipe? After all this time, would you do the down pipe mod again? No CEL’s? I read a bit about it, but not sure if anyone actually pulled the trigger and has been running this setup with no problems.
Following - I have the Borla/Ford tune combo and have been interested in this too. Wonder how the tune reacts to adding the downpipe.
Sponsored

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
i realize this is really crappy raw video but i was trying to get the damn camera to rotate down and it wasn't cooperating.

basically you can see the baffle and spot weld as well as a couple marks on the back side where my breaker bar was hitting. nothing exciting.

That’s kind of like those anal probe videos. Can’t see for all the crap in the way and does nothing for me. Jk But I thought it was funny.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Following - I have the Borla/Ford tune combo and have been interested in this too. Wonder how the tune reacts to adding the downpipe.
I know we have to get a 3 in exhaust downpipe option with it and get a reducer to adapt it from 3 to 2.75. But, the Ford Performance tune with it, is the real question. I really want to pull the trigger and test it but wanted to see if after these years anyone tried out the FP tune with the SPD downpipe. Or heck, does anyone have any issues with these downpipes throwing CEL's?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have had zero issues with my full SPD 3" DP and 3" SPD exhaust. I also have a very aggressive 93 octane custom tune. No CEL thrown which is expected with the custom tune.
That’s great to hear. Thanks for the input :)

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Anybody notice a really *rough* sounding cold start with the downpipe? Probably when the car is running in open loop, for like the first 30 seconds, it sounds like a can of marbles with the borla exhaust and dp.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
I finally got tired of the SPD cat back exhaust sounding like a tuner/rice burner. I pulled it off this past weekend and man is the truck a pleasure to drive now with the quite factory cat back on. My wife said thank god you pulled it off. She said she was never going to say anything because it's my truck, but happy now I put the factory exhaust back on. She's a good wife. Still have the SPD high flow cat. I have not noticed any drop off in the seat dyno department.

BoC

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed a MBRP exhaust and the SPD downpipe. I didn’t even consider the possibility that the exhaust would not come with the mid pipe between the muffler and the downpipe. Now I’m not sure if it’s worth replacing the 2.5” pipe as I’m not sure it would make any difference. I also have a tune and CAI. Any thoughts on whether changing this would make a difference?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I just installed a MBRP exhaust and the SPD downpipe. I didn’t even consider the possibility that the exhaust would not come with the mid pipe between the muffler and the downpipe. Now I’m not sure if it’s worth replacing the 2.5” pipe as I’m not sure it would make any difference. I also have a tune and CAI. Any thoughts on whether changing this would make a difference?
I noticed the same and decided the tradeoff would be minimal for the work/cost and that it would not be much of a bottleneck. The main bottlenecks were the factory cat and muffler

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Almost a year running my SPD Catted Downpipe and it's been running strong since!

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Anybody notice a really *rough* sounding cold start with the downpipe? Probably when the car is running in open loop, for like the first 30 seconds, it sounds like a can of marbles with the borla exhaust and dp.
Just wondering did you do the install or have a shop install?

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Just wondering did you do the install or have a shop install?
I did. I found the noise however - when the electric wastegate is open, the arm rattles on the surrounding heat shield. The wastegate is fully open when the car is first started, and the slight rattle radiates right to the tailpipe.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
It wasn't that much cost or effort to replace with a 3" Stainless midpipe. I have links and pictures in my build thread.

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Almost a year running my SPD Catted Downpipe and it's been running strong since!
What exhaust are you running again?
Sponsored