commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
Both afe and spd are 400

unlikely you’ll find the cell count on the oem.

I’ll be starting with the spd dp and oem catback. I do plan to remove that restriction baffle in the muffler though.

Reactions: Doc

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
Just installed my SPD down pipe today. No real issues and so far no check engine light with a Livernois tune.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Just installed my SPD down pipe today. No real issues and so far no check engine light with a Livernois tune.
A few questions on this, 1: did you already have a cat back? 2:as long as keeping moderate driving habits how is the MPG difference?

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Unfortunately, my better half has informed me that the truck is too loud.. hah. I think it sounds great with the turbo whistle and the nice run on deceleration. Sooo I’ll be selling mine at a discounted price of $400? Free shipping. Let me know if you want it and I’ll send it out. :computerrage:
Usually the "whine" from the woman will drown out any engine noise.?

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
A few questions on this, 1: did you already have a cat back? 2:as long as keeping moderate driving habits how is the MPG difference?

Stock catback. So from a volume perspective there is no change.

There is definitely a performance increase. Way less lag. The turbo just seems to spool quicker and the truck just feels more willing under just normal driving. Part of this is likely due to the trans reset due to pulling the battery. I'm sure my grandma driving style will lazy out some of that.

I'm not expecting a mileage change either positive or negative. I also haven't driven much lately but I'll report back after a few hundred miles.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stock catback. So from a volume perspective there is no change.

There is definitely a performance increase. Way less lag. The turbo just seems to spool quicker and the truck just feels more willing under just normal driving. Part of this is likely due to the trans reset due to pulling the battery. I'm sure my grandma driving style will lazy out some of that.

I'm not expecting a mileage change either positive or negative. I also haven't driven much lately but I'll report back after a few hundred miles.
Good to know on the noise level and performance level. I wouldnt be surprised if removing the restrictor out of the muffler would help a lottle bit to without increasing noise. Keep me posted!!

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
Good to know on the noise level and performance level. I wouldnt be surprised if removing the restrictor out of the muffler would help a lottle bit to without increasing noise. Keep me posted!!
I wanted to but I realized it's on the tail pipe side of the muffler. I read of one person who managed to knock the spot welds but the baffle fell into the bottom of the muffler.

Maybe if I'm bored I'll see about it but as of now it doesn't concern me enough to do anything.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wanted to but I realized it's on the tail pipe side of the muffler. I read of one person who managed to knock the spot welds but the baffle fell into the bottom of the muffler.

Maybe if I'm bored I'll see about it but as of now it doesn't concern me enough to do anything.
I did it a few weeks ago. A $20 pipe from home depot and disconnecting the front/mid pipe from the muffler and you can knock it out. I found it easier to just grab hold of the pipe and give it a few good Rams. Yes the restrictor falls to the bottom but even i was able to see the MPG go up a little bit. For the cost of $20 and maybe an hour of my time I have to say it is worth it

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
I did it a few weeks ago. A $20 pipe from home depot and disconnecting the front/mid pipe from the muffler and you can knock it out. I found it easier to just grab hold of the pipe and give it a few good Rams. Yes the restrictor falls to the bottom but even i was able to see the MPG go up a little bit. For the cost of $20 and maybe an hour of my time I have to say it is worth it

I have a pipe that will work. Hmmm.

There's just something that bothers me about that stupid thing just sitting at the bottom of the muffler possibly rattling around.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I have a pipe that will work. Hmmm.

There's just something that bothers me about that stupid thing just sitting at the bottom of the muffler possibly rattling around.
Could you fashion a strong magnet into the end to capture the piece when you break it loose?

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
so i was bored and decided to try my luck.

indeed it has 3 spot welds holding it in place. i used my old breaker bar pipe and slid it in...no lube... :D

broke the bottom spot weld and then a couple whacks at the top and it fell.

looking it looks like it falls to the outside of the muffler and my extended reach magnet couldn't make the bend to retrieve it. I think it then slid somewhere as i lost track of it. I could hear it only if i really shook the muffler. really more so then would ever occur on the road.

my thoughts are it'll either rust itself into place or carbon buildup will help keep it in place over time. not particularly worried i guess and at some point i may get a cat back if i'm bored.

I did stick a fiber optic camera in there for fun. Uploading the video now. Can't tell much as i couldn't get it to turn how i wanted.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
i realize this is really crappy raw video but i was trying to get the damn camera to rotate down and it wasn't cooperating.

basically you can see the baffle and spot weld as well as a couple marks on the back side where my breaker bar was hitting. nothing exciting.

Last edited:

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Engineer
There is no sound increase removing that restrictive plate and butt dyno doesn’t feel any different unlike I felt when I replaced the down pipe.

seriously anyone complaining about that restrictor and saying they can feel an improvement are likely getting some sort of placebo effect.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Anyone have any issues running the Borla exhaust with ford performance tune and the down pipe? After all this time, would you do the down pipe mod again? No CEL’s? I read a bit about it, but not sure if anyone actually pulled the trigger and has been running this setup with no problems.
Sponsored