Someone is not getting their Ranger......

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Dang what's up with all these derailments this year?
i was thinking the same thing. it seems like can only remember a handful of other derails in my life. im sure it happens much more than i know of just not getting news attention.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Don’t forget to add the stalled semi on the tracks and their insurance company to the mix
i was just joking about that part but these days things are crazy so i would not doubt the possibility lol.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Dang what's up with all these derailments this year?
Tough to say. In the automaker business loop, cost savings is achieved by deleting parts, laying off personnel, and "pausing" R&D projects.

In the railway space, cost savings is likely to take the form of "deferring" maintenance tasks. Labor disputes that are not resolved in favor of unions have historically resulted in a "de-motivated" workforce. Either of these things make "accidents" more likely to occur. And that's without even airing any "conspiracy theories" involving the CCP and clandestine warfare.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
in some cases sure. i cases like this id bet that ford, the rail road, and insurance company are all making some round about bucks on this. i did commercial insurance for a while years ago. its illegal to profit from insurance etc. but big companies do it all the time. they just have creative ways to make it "legit".

It's almost a guarantee that people on the derailment crews are salvaging and selling what they can (as long as they don't get caught). Though that is still illegal for them to do.

My neighbor use to work on derailment crews for BNSF RR for years and can tell some stories. For a while they would just dig a big hole and push everything into it, to include rail cars. And then bury everything. I don't know if they are still allowed to do that anymore.

When I worked on railroads, it was while I was in the Army and Uncle Sam owned everything so we had to account for every little piece and part.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I would not live next to any railroad tracks the way things are going. The town I live in has the largest rail yard on the West Coast. In the early 70's a boxcar loaded with bombs headed to Vietnam caught fire and most of the bombs exploded. Fun times....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Roseville_Yard_Disaster

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I would not live next to any railroad tracks the way things are going. The town I live in has the largest rail yard on the West Coast. In the early 70's a boxcar loaded with bombs headed to Vietnam caught fire and most of the bombs exploded. Fun times....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Roseville_Yard_Disaster
wow thats rough! I bet a lot of folks in town thought it was end of everything!
im close to the rails too. got so used to the sounds of it i barely notice anymore. few years back some company bought up land right up next to the RR right away land and built ridiculous amount of apartments. shortly after people were having a fit that the train horn, crossing bells, were bothering them... so now the trains not allowed to honk.
1679113738747.png

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
im close to the rails too. got so used to the sounds of it i barely notice anymore. few years back some company bought up land right up next to the RR right away land and built ridiculous amount of apartments. shortly after people were having a fit that the train horn, crossing bells, were bothering them... so now the trains not allowed to honk.
1679113738747.png
Homer Everyone is Stupid Except Me.gif

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Another example of the terrible state of journalism in this country. The reporter states that there were "no hazardous materials on the train" immediately after telling us there were Chevys on the train.
:whew: Good thing those box cars weren't full of Tacomas. It'd be tough cleaning up all that ?? smell.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I won't pull up close to a rail road crossing either. I have seen cargo and even boxcar doors come off the trains.

Two places that have the most derailments are turnouts (switches) and road crossings. Road crossings are bad since the track will flex on both sides of the crossing while the track in the crossing will not. Plus a lot of debris falls into the crossings which can also cause derailments.

One of the reasons I dislike turtles and armadillos so much is that they would get stuck inside the frogs of turnouts and cause derailments.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I like to know how they stopped the trains from sounding their horns at each and every rail crossing since that is pretty much mandatory per federal regulations.
Sponsored