bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
This might be a bit long.
I was going to the lake to bass fish last year. Got to the marina then got out and noticed that the passenger hub on trailer was smoking almost in flames. GREAT, what now! It was about 6:00 AM. Called wife she came, her car is a 2019 Taurus Limted. Well anyway I said you stay with the boat and truck since I had many dollars invested in fishing gear and I'll go to town. I got into the driver's side she was in the passenger side as I was explaining what I was going to do and for her to stay in my truck. She got out I drove about 14 miles to a boat dealer, started to turn off car when I noticed a warning message FOB not present. GREAT! I knew if I opened door, I'm in trouble. Too old to start crawling out of window. Called a friend he picked me up went to house (no keys) thank goodness garage door keypad.
Got spare keys.
After a few stops finally found a trailer shop that had a complete hub assembly to replace. Now, here's what he said. I told him that I was surprised that this happened to me since I lube maintenance frequently. He asked if I had buddy bearings, I said yes. He then stated that keeps him business. It seems that sometimes the pressure will cause the inner seal to push out which causes the grease to escape . Learned two things that day.
By the way, this is only the second time I had ever driven her car. Great fishing day!!
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
So did the Taurus shut off when you opened the door?

Always wondered how this would work.

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic
My 2016 Escape would just honk if I opened the door, would still stay running though

OP
OP
fob63

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
Although I always had my key on me, so maybe that's why?
Yes it honks but not the two honks as usual, kind like a alarm type honking. It was the opening and closing that created the shut off... I used the keypad to lock it and it seemed to be okay. Not sure as I was fairly disgruntled at this point!

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
My Hyundai & KIA's would let you continue to drive for some distance, but once that distance was reached it would limit the speed greatly. I think it was so that you could limp home if you legitimately misplaced the key, but if you were a thief then you would be easily caught.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
This is strange. You can usually drive as long as you have gas and don't shut off the vehicle. This is how the majority of keyless ignition vehicles are stolen in Chicago in the winter. People think they're safe, if they take the key with them, which is not true.

OP
OP
fob63

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
This is strange. You can usually drive as long as you have gas and don't shut off the vehicle. This is how the majority of keyless ignition vehicles are stolen in Chicago in the winter. People think they're safe, if they take the key with them, which is not true.
I'm fairly sure that was the sequence that happened. Again, I was so upset with the events that happened. I know the damn thing was honking.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Last year on vacation I got stranded by my expeditions key fob because it got wet. Even though I had the key in the ignition the immobilizer system wouldn't let me start the truck. I called the nearest Ford dealer which was very far away since I was vacationing in a remote area. I scheduled to get my truck picked up and taken to the dealer two days later to have a key programmed and the FOB finally dried out in a bowl of rice. Needless to say don’t forget your spare when you go on vacation.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I'm fairly sure that was the sequence that happened. Again, I was so upset with the events that happened. I know the damn thing was honking.
My Ranger honks 2x when I get out when running with the fob on me. It's kind of annoying, since I'm usually in my driveway just grabbing something out of the garage. My other vehicles just give me a few dings when I do this. Was the Taurus beeping the whole time you were driving it?

OP
OP
fob63

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
My Ranger honks 2x when I get out when running with the fob on me. It's kind of annoying, since I'm usually in my driveway just grabbing something out of the garage. My other vehicles just give me a few dings when I do this. Was the Taurus beeping the whole time you were driving it?
No.. I just noticed the Fob warning on the display cluster when I parked at the boat dealers. It could have been displaying while I was driving but I didn't noticed it.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
You can turn off the honk with forscan...one of the reasons I got it.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
He asked if I had buddy bearings, I said yes. He then stated that keeps him business. It seems that sometimes the pressure will cause the inner seal to push out which causes the grease to escape . Learned two things that day.
By the way, this is only the second time I had ever driven her car. Great fishing day!!
I've watched a few videos about bearing buddys and how to lube them. Did you have the wheel off the ground and rotate it while re-greasing them ?
Sponsored