First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
IIRC, doesn't tow mode lock out 9 & 10? I use tow mode only around town where speeds are lower
than 40MPH. I use sport mode for fun or when I really need to accelerate to merge in traffic.
And isn't there a 4th mode - select drive? If you put it in "S" when at a stop, that's sport mode and gives max power for accel by holding shift points to high RPM's. But once you hit the +/- then you are in select mode where as you decide when to up/down shift. I'm not sure if select mode will do any shifting automatically, as I don't really use that mode.
Sponsored

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Jason, on my truck tow mode does not lock out 9th and 10th. You CAN lock them out (which I do) but it doesn't lock them out automatically.

As far as using the +/- button on the shifter, it took me a little time to understand the differences in different modes. IIRC, if you're in S mode and you press the - button while driving in say 7th gear, the trans downshifts to 6th gear AND STAYS in 6th gear. If you decelerate or accelerate it won't shift down or up, basically it's in select gear like you mentioned. If you're driving in tow mode and you press the - button, you lock out 10th gear, and another gear every time you press the - button. But the trans WILL upshift and downshift on its own if you accelerate/decelerate.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
In Sport mode if you hold the shift button in plus or minus for like 3 seconds it will revert to automatic shifting again. Ya, I know, one more thing to remember ?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Awesome review! I spent one week in the Colorado rockies. Found tow mode works the best in the mountains. Works the best here in texas too. Regular drive just lugs way too much!! And sport mode for smoking chevys, and tacos! Lol
4x2 xlt

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Thanks :) Ah, I had no idea that you could shift D <--> S without the button. Good to know.
<Sigh> the manual is so unclear.
You're too kind. The manual sux. The index is absolutely worthless.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
After tuning mine driving a stock 2.3 feels very sluggisg, I could never go back. Driving it stock in S mode was fun and had most of the power I wanted. Now it’s perfect in D and in S it’s a ?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Awesome guys!, So much more info.
A few months ago we went on a little trip in the mountains, wife was driving. Engine
was "sluggish", so I said, ok want to try sport mode? Was she surprised!
Have not tried trailer mode. Might put a tune eventually???

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Jason, on my truck tow mode does not lock out 9th and 10th. You CAN lock them out (which I do) but it doesn't lock them out automatically.

As far as using the +/- button on the shifter, it took me a little time to understand the differences in different modes. IIRC, if you're in S mode and you press the - button while driving in say 7th gear, the trans downshifts to 6th gear AND STAYS in 6th gear. If you decelerate or accelerate it won't shift down or up, basically it's in select gear like you mentioned. If you're driving in tow mode and you press the - button, you lock out 10th gear, and another gear every time you press the - button. But the trans WILL upshift and downshift on its own if you accelerate/decelerate.
I can confirm the shifting in 'Select' mode. Yesterday when I left work I started in 'Sport' mode. Trans up/down shifted, but at higher RPM's. When cruising in 'Sport' I hit the + and the trans shifted to 8th.
As I approached a stop light, the trans did down shift, but as I left the stop it did not up shift. Held 1st until I shifted up at around 4500 RPM. Same with 2 on up.
Sponsored