SOLVED: Driver Side Frame 1/2 Lower, Shim Added to Rear Leaf Spring

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Ford knows about his issue. I'm not sure what would cause it. But they've installed this shim underneath the leaf pack on the drivers side. The Ranger I had in my shop had 30ish miles on it and the tank was almost empty and it still had a sideways lean.

I've had Colorado/Canyons and Tacomas & 4Runners with the same type of lean.

Ranger.JPG
I've added shims like this to Datsun, Nissan, Toyota's, GM, and Ford pickups to correct the lean. Typically after 4 or 5 years of use it becomes more pronounced.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Will they warranty this? Does this happen in xx% of trucks? What recourse do I have?

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
a full/empty fuel tank shouldn't sag one side of the car by that much more than the other side. Something like this shouldn't be a known problem. Its a manufacturing flaw that should be known and fixed. I would say its a serious safety issue that would upset the balance of the vehicle.

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
a full/empty fuel tank shouldn't sag one side of the car by that much more than the other side. Something like this shouldn't be a known problem. Its a manufacturing flaw that should be known and fixed. I would say its a serious safety issue that would upset the balance of the vehicle.
I agree, it’s pretty obvious...

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So has anybody else noticed this issue with their Ranger or is it isolated thus far?

orbit8

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I've measured 6 Rangers so far and all have of them have a sideways lean.

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I checked mine lastnight. Leans 3/4" or so towards drivers side. Full tank, properly set tire pressure.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
How did you figure that out ?
When looking at the truck from the rear the front of the bed was parallel to the rear window but the left rear of the bed had drooped down and the bumper was even with the rear bed. Dealer called me 1 hour later said its fixed. When I got it they had put 7/8 inch washers between frame and bed mount on left rear. I flipped out,so they sent it to a frame shop and straightened the LR rail. About a week later I pulled my boat with it and it drooped right back to where was. They straightened it again an added a nice fabricated bolt in frame cross member and the problem never came back. Lemon laws back then weren't very good. Carriers go easy on tie downs now or they use straps that grab the tire.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Gavin,

Okay...this is really weird. First, measure the height between the top of the rear axle and the bottom of the frame on both sides. Then measure the height from the floor to the bottom of the rear axle tube. If the floor to axle is the same but the frame to axle is smaller on the left...Need to investigate a suspension issue of some type. This assumes the pickup box is completely empty...no aftermarket adds like tool box with air compressor added. Clearly this vehicle should visit the dealership for investigation, and if they are not able to diagnose, then demand the Ford district rep visit your vehicle....Sum Ting Wong....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I checked mine lastnight. Leans 3/4" or so towards drivers side. Full tank, properly set tire pressure.
I just measured mine at the front of the front doors, and the driver side is about 1/2" lower than the passenger side.

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Hi Gavin,

Okay...this is really weird. First, measure the height between the top of the rear axle and the bottom of the frame on both sides. Then measure the height from the floor to the bottom of the rear axle tube. If the floor to axle is the same but the frame to axle is smaller on the left...Need to investigate a suspension issue of some type. This assumes the pickup box is completely empty...no aftermarket adds like tool box with air compressor added. Clearly this vehicle should visit the dealership for investigation, and if they are not able to diagnose, then demand the Ford district rep visit your vehicle....Sum Ting Wong....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

Ok, I measured this. The rear axle to frame is different.

Left rear
upload_2019-4-16_7-38-20.jpeg

Right rear
upload_2019-4-16_7-39-25.jpeg

Axle to ground is the same on both sides-

upload_2019-4-16_7-40-8.jpeg

upload_2019-4-16_7-40-24.jpeg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I measured mine last night at the front of the front doors - the drivers side was 1/2" lower than the passenger side. Tires are all inflated at 30psi cold.

I don't notice a lean, but I haven't looked that close either. Very odd.
Sponsored