SOLVED: Can't get the back of the rear seat to lock upright

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
slamming it back like that cannot be good, and will likely cause other issues, like leaking back window.

I stopped by the dealer a few days ago and spoke with the GM. i showed him this issue on both of his Rangers, and he was surprised that Ford had not done something about it. So the issue is not resolved.

That said, the fix is simple and takes less than 5 minutes. Some have used washers, others just cut down the bumpers. The gap is about 1/8", and that is why it requires a lot of force to latch it. I used two plastic 1/8" washers from ACE hardware, works perfect now.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...rear-seat-back-hard-to-latch.1754/#post-28393

upload_2019-6-4_13-12-2.png
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
How did the part work out?

My April '19 built truck came with only the 3 bumpers, but latching the seat is still a pain in the but. The dealer "wasn't worried about it" when i brought it up.... Even though they had to slam it so hard the back of the cab was bowing out.
That is so weird - mine was built in March and my seat back latches pretty easily. No slamming required.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
That is so weird - mine was built in March and my seat back latches pretty easily. No slamming required.
I think you're one of the first to say that here. Call yourself lucky :)

Good there is a TSB, so I guess Ford did their part. Now the dealerships need to perform the fix instead of just slamming the seat back.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
***6/4/2019 Update*** TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Return...

Anyone else have this problem? The latch seems to function o.k. when I engage it with my finger when the seat back is pushed forward. However, I just get a metal on metal sound when I try to latch it back upright. There is a rubber piece next to the latch that seems like it's there to dampen the impact of the latch hitting the catch attached to the rear panel, but it seem like it's not giving way / flexing enough to let the latch spring around the catch. I've tried to slam it pretty hard and I just get a metal thud.
I find you have to go to the passengers side find where the latch is on the back of the seat put your hand on the front and push firmly, it works for me

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're one of the first to say that here. Call yourself lucky :)

Good there is a TSB, so I guess Ford did their part. Now the dealerships need to perform the fix instead of just slamming the seat back.
You made me go out and double check it.... :) I have 3 bumpers and I don't need to slam it hard but I do need to push it back firmly - nothing unusual to me. Latches with a firm push no problem.

I had just assumed they resolved it with trucks built after Feb sometime (when the TSB was written).

DarkRelms

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xl SXT package
How did the part work out?

My April '19 built truck came with only the 3 bumpers, but latching the seat is still a pain in the but. The dealer "wasn't worried about it" when i brought it up.... Even though they had to slam it so hard the back of the cab was bowing out.
it works greate all i have to do is press

Den19

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure this issue has been solved, but noticed the passenger side stopper was off by 1/2". One pocket knife cut later it closes without an issue.

20190630_130107.jpg

20190630_130112.jpg

20190630_130123.jpg

20190630_130426.jpg

Ruben Castro

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 XL, 2.3L Ecoboost Engine, Elec 10-Speed Auto Trans
I had this problem and after reading the posts in this forum, I went to my Ranger and did notice 3 rubber stoppers. I was at work so I had to wait until I got home to fix it. Once I was home, I got my allen wrenches and then just unscrewed the rubber stoppers. It took about one minute and as soon as I removed them, the back seat easily folded back up and clicked (locked).
I'm not sure why those three rubber stoppers were there to begin with, but at least my back seat folds down and locks back up like it should and there is no rattling of the back seat when I drive. Here are some pics of the allen wrench that I used to unscrew the rubber stoppers.

allen wrench (angle 1).jpg

allen wrench (angle 2).jpg

allen wrench (angle 3).jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had this problem and after reading the posts in this forum, I went to my Ranger and did notice 3 rubber stoppers. I was at work so I had to wait until I got home to fix it. Once I was home, I got my allen wrenches and then just unscrewed the rubber stoppers. It took about one minute and as soon as I removed them, the back seat easily folded back up and clicked (locked).
I'm not sure why those three rubber stoppers were there to begin with, but at least my back seat folds down and locks back up like it should and there is no rattling of the back seat when I drive. Here are some pics of the allen wrench that I used to unscrew the rubber stoppers.

allen wrench (angle 1).jpg

allen wrench (angle 2).jpg

allen wrench (angle 3).jpg
Hi Ruben,

The bumpers are supposed to eliminate rear seat back chucking. I retained the bumpers, but I turned them down on my lathe to about half thickness....Latches solidly and no seat back chucking.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
I believe one very smart individual added a couple washers to lift this latching bracket up a bit to get a more secure/easier latch. (was in another thread)

latch.png

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Last edited:

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
slamming it back like that cannot be good, and will likely cause other issues, like leaking back window.

I stopped by the dealer a few days ago and spoke with the GM. i showed him this issue on both of his Rangers, and he was surprised that Ford had not done something about it. So the issue is not resolved.

That said, the fix is simple and takes less than 5 minutes. Some have used washers, others just cut down the bumpers. The gap is about 1/8", and that is why it requires a lot of force to latch it. I used two plastic 1/8" washers from ACE hardware, works perfect now.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...rear-seat-back-hard-to-latch.1754/#post-28393

upload_2019-6-4_13-12-2.png
Dude...i think i may have some left over plastic washers from the Weathertech mudflaps i can use :)

Ruben Castro

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 XL, 2.3L Ecoboost Engine, Elec 10-Speed Auto Trans
Hi Ruben,

The bumpers are supposed to eliminate rear seat back chucking. I retained the bumpers, but I turned them down on my lathe to about half thickness....Latches solidly and no seat back chucking.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

bjscott05

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Does everyone’s latch look like this? I’m concerned it is hitting the right spot on the latch, but the latch mechanism doesn’t seem to want to move to allow it to connect.

8B81B417-1472-4FB7-B908-9CE0D89542BB.jpeg

86ADE355-E886-4EAD-B537-443CED8BC601.jpeg
Sponsored