TSB: SSM 47794 - 2019 Ranger Super Crew - Folding Rear Seat Back Hard To Latch

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Return...

SSM 47794 - 2019 Ranger Super Crew - Folding Rear Seat Back Hard To Latch – Built On Or Before 30-Jan-2019

Some 2019 Ranger Super Crew vehicles built on or before 30-Jan-2019, may exhibit a hard to latch rear seatback to the upright (Normal) position. This may be due to 4 installed rubber bumpers in the seatback frame. To resolve the concern, remove the passenger inboard rubber bumper by the seatback latch. Verify proper operation, may need to adjust the latch after the removal of the 4th bumper. Vehicles built after 30-Jan-2019 will only have 3 bumpers installed, and small patchto cover the exposed hole in seatback cover material Use Flocked Tape (Fuzzy) 164-R4903. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10B. The 4th Rubber bumper is no longer equipped due to a running change. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Mine has this issue, I may shave the rubber thing down and leave it installed. I'll have to look at it in a few minutes. The less trips I make to the dealer, the better I'll feel.

EDIT: cutting 1/8" off the two inboard ones with a razor knife allowed me to close it with a weak slam, they should soften up over time and be easier when the temp gets higher outside.

Last edited:

spudlips

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 - FX4, Sport, 501A, Trailer Towing, spray bed, etc
SSM 47794 - 2019 Ranger Super Crew - Folding Rear Seat Back Hard To Latch – Built On Or Before 30-Jan-2019

Some 2019 Ranger Super Crew vehicles built on or before 30-Jan-2019, may exhibit a hard to latch rear seatback to the upright (Normal) position. This may be due to 4 installed rubber bumpers in the seatback frame. To resolve the concern, remove the passenger inboard rubber bumper by the seatback latch. Verify proper operation, may need to adjust the latch after the removal of the 4th bumper. Vehicles built after 30-Jan-2019 will only have 3 bumpers installed, and small patchto cover the exposed hole in seatback cover material Use Flocked Tape (Fuzzy) 164-R4903. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10B. The 4th Rubber bumper is no longer equipped due to a running change. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
I also had this issue. Dealer removed and apparently threw away the rubber bumper next to the seat latch. Left the hole, probably didn’t have the “fuzzy” tape or too lazy :) Seat latches with a firm slam, but now latches at least. No room to put anything back there anyway...

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Oddly enough, mine was built before the 30th yet only has 3 rubber stops. I wonder if the dealer removed before delivery.

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I just checked and sure enough my rear seat won't latch, and it only has three bumpers. The seat was unlatched when I received it from the dealer, never noticed until I saw this thread. At least now I know what that "thud" is whenever I go over a speed bump!

I think I am going to try the trick of putting washers behind the latch catch behind the seat. It is only attached with a couple torx bolts and putting a washer under each one is easy. It sounds like between the removal of the bumper and installation of the washers I should be fine.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked and sure enough my rear seat won't latch, and it only has three bumpers. The seat was unlatched when I received it from the dealer, never noticed until I saw this thread. At least now I know what that "thud" is whenever I go over a speed bump!

I think I am going to try the trick of putting washers behind the latch catch behind the seat. It is only attached with a couple torx bolts and putting a washer under each one is easy. It sounds like between the removal of the bumper and installation of the washers I should be fine.
Just slam it closed and you should be good

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Just slam it closed and you should be good
I ended up adding 2-3mm worth of washers and only then by slamming it could I get it to stay. I'm sure if I slammed harder I could have gotten away with less but I don't like the idea of slamming anything hard on a new vehicle.

As others have pointed out there really isn't a reason to lower the back seat so this is a "set it and forget it" kind of thing.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came with 4 rubber stops, the window sticker shows a blend date of 1/25. I can still manage to slam it closed with some force, so I’m going to wait to remove the passenger inboard.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I picked up my Lariat a couple of days ago, build date 02/19 and I have 3 bumpers and the I cannot get to latch. So they still have not fixed this issue, which is really lame given how many people have reported this.

The SSM says don't bother with warranty claim, which is also lame. This means I either fix it myself or take it back to the dealer that I purchased from, and hope they will fix at no cost to me. This is dissapointing to pay $50k for a brand new truck with a issue like this.

I guess I will try the washer and shave down the bumpers and see if that works. :(

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my Lariat a couple of days ago, build date 02/19 and I have 3 bumpers and the I cannot get to latch. So they still have not fixed this issue, which is really lame given how many people have reported this.

The SSM says don't bother with warranty claim, which is also lame. This means I either fix it myself or take it back to the dealer that I purchased from, and hope they will fix at no cost to me. This is dissapointing to pay $50k for a brand new truck with a issue like this.

I guess I will try the washer and shave down the bumpers and see if that works. :(
You paid 50K for your truck, dang that's crazy. I haven't seen any priced out that high yet, what all did you get in yours.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Well it was $46k plus stupid California reg tax and sales tax - Lariat fully loaded with all options available when I ordered it (pre-ordered 8/31/2018)

Just over $50k

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I tried washers, after 3 on each bolt, it was just starting to touch the latch. I went to Ace and got some plastic 1/8" spacers and it now shuts normal, mild slam. I did not have to mess with the bumpers.

upload_2019-3-23_16-26-39.png
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.