SOLVED: Can't get the back of the rear seat to lock upright

bjscott05

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Never mind guys, I’m sure yours is the same. Mine has three bumpers but won’t latch. I’m going to try the washer fix suggested. Poor engineering on the rear seat.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does everyone’s latch look like this? I’m concerned it is hitting the right spot on the latch, but the latch mechanism doesn’t seem to want to move to allow it to connect.

8B81B417-1472-4FB7-B908-9CE0D89542BB.jpeg

86ADE355-E886-4EAD-B537-443CED8BC601.jpeg
Hi Brendan

What you might try is to remove all the bumpers from the seat back ...should be three or four. Then see if the seat latches. It will be some what loose but latched. Then install the far left driver side and try again then try the inboard driver's side. Then try to out board right. I bet it won't latch...you will probably have to cut down the right outboard bumper to about half or a bit more to get the latch to work....that is what I had to do, even before the TSB was issued... Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

bjscott05

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi Brendan

What you might try is to remove all the bumpers from the seat back ...should be three or four. Then see if the seat latches. It will be some what loose but latched. Then install the far left driver side and try again then try the inboard driver's side. Then try to out board right. I bet it won't latch...you will probably have to cut down the right outboard bumper to about half or a bit more to get the latch to work....that is what I had to do, even before the TSB was issued... Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
thank you phill. I will give that a shot tomorrow

Racerdave6

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX. 2017 Escape SE
Occupation
Mechanic
Apparently they still haven't fixed this issue. My 2 week old truck, built 10/19, requires me to slam it 2 or 3 times, pushing at the latch area, to get it to stay latched. Guess I'll be trimming the bumpers.

bjscott05

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Apparently they still haven't fixed this issue. My 2 week old truck, built 10/19, requires me to slam it 2 or 3 times, pushing at the latch area, to get it to stay latched. Guess I'll be trimming the bumpers.
I put plastic washers behind the latch and that did the trick for me. No trimming needed.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Same here for mine build 11/19. Just had to use a tad bit more force to get it to latch than I expected. I'll be looking at trimming the bump stops as well.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
***6/4/2019 Update*** TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Return...

Anyone else have this problem? The latch seems to function o.k. when I engage it with my finger when the seat back is pushed forward. However, I just get a metal on metal sound when I try to latch it back upright. There is a rubber piece next to the latch that seems like it's there to dampen the impact of the latch hitting the catch attached to the rear panel, but it seem like it's not giving way / flexing enough to let the latch spring around the catch. I've tried to slam it pretty hard and I just get a metal thud.
***6/4/2019 Update*** TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Return...

Anyone else have this problem? The latch seems to function o.k. when I engage it with my finger when the seat back is pushed forward. However, I just get a metal on metal sound when I try to latch it back upright. There is a rubber piece next to the latch that seems like it's there to dampen the impact of the latch hitting the catch attached to the rear panel, but it seem like it's not giving way / flexing enough to let the latch spring around the catch. I've tried to slam it pretty hard and I just get a metal thud.
I believe if you push in the middle of the passenger side back seat it will work, it did on mine

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I just discovered the same thing on my newly purchased new 2019. I will try shimming the mount first, then trimming the rubber bumpers second if needed. This website is a fantastic source of info for these trucks!

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Craig touched on the correct way to latch the back seat. The seat back is a bit flimsy. To latch the back seat it can only be done from the passengers side. Tilt the seat forward and note where the latch is and then as you tilt back upright place your right palm directly over the latch and push back on the seat - Don't slam just use firm pressure and it will latch every time. Your hand placement is the key.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Yes this is what i did to get it to finally latch back up. Thank you, 5G is awesome!

gasmanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT FX4, '19 Beetle Final Edition
Occupation
Gas leak inspector
The washers behind the latch really helped with mine. It also made an annoying rattle from my Kicker Hideaway magically disappear. Thanks for the info guys.

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
I know this has been discussed before.
I had this problem. My wife couldn’t latch the back seat. When I took it to the dealers and showed the TSB They acted surprised.i showed them they read about half dozen tech fixes. I told them that if I took the rubber pads off it would latch but that want the fix. Anyway I suggested a spacer plate.
When I picked it up the pads were removed! I told them that that could cause a couple problems.
1... premature wearing on cloth on backside.
2.. tube frame warping

He said the spacer is a good idea but they wouldn't do it!!
Well I made one 3/16” thick plate.
I still had to shave 1/8” off the pad on passenger side.
Checked torx bolt length and thread lock.
We shouldn’t have to do this!

91EDC581-9737-4A0B-9724-CE9288C7F14A.jpeg

2085FC2D-B5AD-4DA3-8F03-8E5A0F70936A.jpeg

Rick D

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Never mind guys, I’m sure yours is the same. Mine has three bumpers but won’t latch. I’m going to try the washer fix suggested. Poor engineering on the rear seat.
I have a 2020 Crew cab with the same seat back latch problem. I read of a possible fix by going to Ace Hardware and getting two 1/8" plastic spacer washers for the latch that is fastened to the rear bulkhead of the cab. Problem solved! Now there is no banging when I hit the brakes or go over rough road.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Try putting your hand in the middle of the seat back, passanger side, and push to lock

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I put my hand right where the latch is and slam that m*therfcker with force that would impress a pro boxer, latches everytime.
Sponsored