DapperDean

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Thanks everyone for your responses! I’ve ordered Bilstein 4600s for front and back from Tire Rack based on your suggestions. However the closest recommended installer is 65 miles away!

The recommended cold pressure on the door frame is 30 psi and that’s what I have it at. I’ll probably go down to 28 psi.
Sponsored

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You should be able to do the back shocks yourself. It's pretty easy and you'll notice an improvement immediately.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
You should be able to do the back shocks yourself. It's pretty easy and you'll notice an improvement immediately.
Nah. Don’t be cheap! Pay a pro so your beer doesn’t get spilled! That would be a catastrophe in itself.?
1665407394023.jpeg

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I put bilstein 5100 on. The ride is more controlled but it is not a softer ride at all.
Did the rear shocks myself. It was $900! in labor to have the fronts done and aligned.

OP
OP
DapperDean

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the fronts are that expensive to have installed, I’ll just have the backs replaced and see how that effects the ride. Then I’ll decide if it’s worth it to do the fronts.

I spend hours a day driving my Ranger and I’m so tired of the harsh ride. I’ll end up spending a lot more to trade up to a full sized truck if I can’t solve the problem.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
If the fronts are that expensive to have installed, I’ll just have the backs replaced and see how that effects the ride. Then I’ll decide if it’s worth it to do the fronts.

I spend hours a day driving my Ranger and I’m so tired of the harsh ride. I’ll end up spending a lot more to trade up to a full sized truck if I can’t solve the problem.
A matched set at 4 corners works best.?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
If you want softer, but improved, go with Fox 2.0s. If price is a factor, with regard to the front install, just do the rears. Huge improvement. The Foxes are softer than Bilstein. They allow more body roll but remove the seasickness.

OP
OP
DapperDean

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading this and researching online, I feel you're right. So I cancelled my Bilstein order and am getting a set of Fox 2.0 for the rear and see if that helps. It's not body roll I care about, its the inability of the rear to absorb bumps and imperfections.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
After reading this and researching online, I feel you're right. So I cancelled my Bilstein order and am getting a set of Fox 2.0 for the rear and see if that helps. It's not body roll I care about, its the inability of the rear to absorb bumps and imperfections.
It will be the best ~$300 or so you spend on the Ranger. Plus you can do the install yourself. 4 bolts only :) Here is one side of mine after the install.
rear_fox.jpg

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
It will be the best ~$300 or so you spend on the Ranger. Plus you can do the install yourself. 4 bolts only :) Here is one side of mine after the install.
rear_fox.jpg
I can confirm, the Fox 2.0 rears are a dramatic improvement. None of that bouncing in the rear that you get with the factory, for every impact you get a down and up, not several.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Rear 4600 Billsteins no more seasickness plus smoother ride I am happy . Best of all the head bobbing in corners stopped ., when driving in the city .

Last edited:

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
I put bilstein 5100 on. The ride is more controlled but it is not a softer ride at all.
Did the rear shocks myself. It was $900! in labor to have the fronts done and aligned.
Ouch.... Better set my budget then...

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
I can confirm, the Fox 2.0 rears are a dramatic improvement. None of that bouncing in the rear that you get with the factory, for every impact you get a down and up, not several.
So Fox 2.0 or 4600's.... On rear to start upgrade?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Geez guys! The Ranger is a capable "TRUCK"! If you wanted a boulevard ride, you should have bought a Hyundai Santa Cruz or Honda Ridgeline!

In all fairness, ugly, knobby tires, and hard after-market shocks will indeed make the ride harsh. And the truth is, the OEM tires (Bridgestones in my case), are junk. I replaced mine with Michelin LTs, and the ride improved rather nicely.
Sponsored

Last edited: