Softening the Ride…HELP!

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
I have a 2020 Lariat Sport 4x4 with the stock 18 inch all-terrain tires and of course the ancient solid rear axle with leaf springs. I’m tired of the jarring ride! Is there any combo of suspension parts and/or tires that can soak up bad pavement?
Sponsored

Blurpleranger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Silver
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I can share my experience trying to solve this problem. I've got a 2021 xlt fx4 4x4, Sitting on 285 70 17 Toyo MT's on method 703's, 0 offset. I've tried a few different suspension setups.

First I did the Fox 2.0 coilovers and rear shocks to bring up the front about 2.5" and leveling out the truck. This stopped the front end from drooping when coming to a stop and made a huge difference in stance and body role. Didn't notice too much of a difference from the rear 2.0 shocks to be honest.

Then I decided I needed a little more and went for Fox 2.5's all around where I did not notice a huge different in the front end but the rear end was a night and day difference. I was able to enter and exit driveways way faster and it absorbed a bunch in the rear.

Lastly, yesterday I replaced the oem single leaf suspension with the standard deaver pack from APG (was on sale for $600) and I immediately noticed a difference on the freeway, greatly reducing the side to side wobbling in the rear and softening bumps in general. Looking forward to testing them out more and breaking them in.

Hope this helps!
20221008_185122.jpg
20221008_154759.jpg
20220527_171206.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Many on here have already determined that replaceing just the shocks with Eibach or Bilstein shocks(assuming you dont want to raise the truck at all) will take care of the ride mostly. Also make sure you have the tire pressure set right

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Many on here have already determined that replaceing just the shocks with Eibach or Bilstein shocks(assuming you dont want to raise the truck at all) will take care of the ride mostly. Also make sure you have the tire pressure set right
This...Eibach Pro truck sport all around. Not a huge investment, made a world of difference.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I have a 2020 Lariat Sport 4x4 with the stock 18 inch all-terrain tires and of course the ancient solid rear axle with leaf springs. I’m tired of the jarring ride! Is there any combo of suspension parts and/or tires that can soak up bad pavement?
Other than the shock upgrades that are VERY WELL documented on here, it sounds like you should have gotten a Maverick or Ridgeline since you seem to be very down on the live rear axle.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
DapperDean

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to reserve a Lightning which has independent rear suspension but couldn’t. I test drove a Ram 1500 with coil spring rear and it was fantastic but there was a deal breaker that killed the deal. Tundras now have rear coils but you can’t order one right now.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I tried to reserve a Lightning which has independent rear suspension but couldn’t. I test drove a Ram 1500 with coil spring rear and it was fantastic but there was a deal breaker that killed the deal. Tundras now have rear coils but you can’t order one right now.
That tattoo limits your options.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I can share my experience trying to solve this problem. I've got a 2021 xlt fx4 4x4, Sitting on 285 70 17 Toyo MT's on method 703's, 0 offset. I've tried a few different suspension setups.

First I did the Fox 2.0 coilovers and rear shocks to bring up the front about 2.5" and leveling out the truck. This stopped the front end from drooping when coming to a stop and made a huge difference in stance and body role. Didn't notice too much of a difference from the rear 2.0 shocks to be honest.

Then I decided I needed a little more and went for Fox 2.5's all around where I did not notice a huge different in the front end but the rear end was a night and day difference. I was able to enter and exit driveways way faster and it absorbed a bunch in the rear.

Lastly, yesterday I replaced the oem single leaf suspension with the standard deaver pack from APG (was on sale for $600) and I immediately noticed a difference on the freeway, greatly reducing the side to side wobbling in the rear and softening bumps in general. Looking forward to testing them out more and breaking them in.

Hope this helps!
20221008_185122.jpg
20221008_154759.jpg
20220527_171206.jpg
Final found the right vendor, and wording. Denver pack. I had seen this years ago, yet a general Google search was no joy. Now i can make a recession.

OP
OP
DapperDean

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No way. I love all makes. I just love Ford the most. I’ve actually had more Plymouth and Jeep vehicles than Fords.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
The very first element in your suspension is the first part of your truck that touches the ground - TIRES! What kind of PSI are you running? Have you looked at lessening it? What ever your tires soak up, never gets transmitted to the shocks and springs.

IIRC stock was 32psi.

I think you can get away with 28 upfront and 26 in the rear when it's empty. Maybe start at 28 all the way around.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Well, it's a pickup truck.

The stock shocks are crap, with minimal dampening. The first of 4 new Rangers I've owned since 1988 that came from the factory with crap shocks. Bilstein Shocks/Struts made a huge difference. I paid nearly $1,100 installed.

Ranger has been undergoing a decontenting process ever since it was released to North America in 2019. Good shocks/struts were the first items to go apparently.

My 2019 Lariat:

IMG_0982.JPG

Last edited:

Blurpleranger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Silver
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
The very first element in your suspension is the first part of your truck that touches the ground - TIRES! What kind of PSI are you running? Have you looked at lessening it? What ever your tires soak up, never gets transmitted to the shocks and springs.

IIRC stock was 32psi.

I think you can get away with 28 upfront and 26 in the rear when it's empty. Maybe start at 28 all the way around.
It definitely makes a difference. Mine are usually around 31 cool and get up to 35 on the road. Having them closer to 30psi should make it little smoother.
Sponsored