Small Road Trip observered drivers.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Wait for it...

1655931063708.png
Different era , congress passed that 55 mph in 1974 in response to the arab oil embargo which did create real supply shortages, congress being what it is today isn't going to agree to that for a number of reasons - one being the PTOS takes much of the blame for high gas prices. And most autos today are much better designed so restricting speeds to 55 mph wouldn't come close to the mpg impact 50 yrs back.
World wide there is plenty of petroleum around - in the US we have limited our options and somewhat painted ourselves in a corner - result of decades of inconsistent energy policy.
Some will be ok with the higher gas prices as it will bring the era of fuel efficient vehicles and accelerate the transition to EVs. I'm ok with the higher prices as it is already limiting those massive RVs that clog the highways, impede the flow of traffic and make a mockery of what used to be real camping, oh yeah enjoy the great outdoors so long as you can have your TV, microwave oven, AC, shower and so on. I've seen massive motor homes towing full sized pickups and with an additional trailer with ATVs . And of lately I've seen some of those things driving below the speed limit to conserve fuel making it a real pain to be behind one. Just another sign of false prosperity, people buying $80k ~ $100k motor homes. With higher interest rates and gas prices next we will hear whining/whimpering from the rec vehicle industry - RV and boat makers.
So predictable.
Sponsored

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Last week I went for a 185 mile round trip. Almost all on interstate highways.
Had wife in the truck, went to pickup new puppy at a shelter.

Now, I set cruise at 70 MPH and adaptive cruise on. Tach under 2k RPM unless a steeper grade.
I passed going down to shelter, three semi-trucks (going up hills) and one car. Coming back five semi-trucks on steep incline in Ozark mountains (No cars).
A lot of Semi-trucks passing me and cars running 75-80. Had to shut off adaptive cruise as drivers were coming around then moved over to quickly or wanted to fit into a smaller space. Adaptive cruise keep backing off from poor drivers moving over!

I know some of you are not going to like what I about to say but here goes.
I'm fed up with people complaing about high gas prices when they don't give a hoot about trying to save. Just keep feeding the oil companies!
Semi-trucks running 75-80, cars, darting in and out of lanes on highway. Checking out how fast they an go from stop light to stop light or 0-60.

OIl companies love us!!

Oi
Most people are creatures of habit. These are the ones yet to alter their driving styles for most efficient fuel savings.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the Ozarks, that's how we roll here....Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas have the lowest gas prices in the U.S right now....
Went to Arkansas for the first time in December and was amazed at a few costs while there:
- a box of pop tarts was only $2
- a box of chicken tenders with sides was like $10
- My dog sprained her tail on a hike so we went to the vet. Out the door with Rimadyl prescription was $70.

All of these cost at least double here in Tampa, FL.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
You mean the 50-60hr work weeks, having less or no kids, and the desire to switch to renewable energy, more public transportation, and remote work isn't good enough? We're trying, but all the old farts in positions of power (government and corporate leaders) are too greedy and stuck in their ways to give two craps about us kids and our future.

But it's not like I'm not bitter or frustrated or anything.
Line by line.
50 or 60 hours a week was my normal for most of my years working years. 72 to 84 for a month or two most years. And, because the wife worked too, I usually had less OT than my co-workers.
If public transport and renewable energy is your thing why the Ranger and not a hybrid or electric?
AOC and the squad are not old farts and thank the God of your choice they are not very successful.
EVERY person I knew in my twenties ( I am 66) was sure Social Security was never going to be able to pay them a dime.
Printing 80% of every dollar that's ever been printed in the last 3 years and the current admins stated purpose of destroying the oil industry is what you should be concerned about.
You sound just like me 45 years ago.

Deleted member 1634

Line by line.
50 or 60 hours a week was my normal for most of my years working years. 72 to 84 for a month or two most years. And, because the wife worked too, I usually had less OT than my co-workers.
If public transport and renewable energy is your thing why the Ranger and not a hybrid or electric?
AOC and the squad are not old farts and thank the God of your choice they are not very successful.
EVERY person I knew in my twenties ( I am 66) was sure Social Security was never going to be able to pay them a dime.
Printing 80% of every dollar that's ever been printed in the last 3 years and the current admins stated purpose of destroying the oil industry is what you should be concerned about.
You sound just like me 45 years ago.
I'm not saying that working 50-60-70hr weeks is a new concept or that those of us doing it now are better people because of it. Just simply that we're not sitting around doing nothing like so many think we are.
I would gladly use public transport if it was available to me, but it's not, and isn't for a majority of the people. And I would gladly have a hybrid or electric vehicle if one met my functional needs and price point. My next vehicle will be one of those because there will be an hybrid and/or electric mid-size truck by then. The Ranger was the most efficient vehicle that met my needs at the time of purchase, and that was one of the main reasons I chose it.
And hey, maybe things will be better, or at least fine, when I get older. But maybe, and more than likely based on the current trajectory, things won't. I guess I'm just the kind of person to not be hopeful about things. I think it helps that I was a Detroit Lions "fan" growing up. That helps you really temper any high expectations. If you go into every game (situation) expecting to lose, then when you do it's not a big deal because that was what you thought was going to happen all along (par for the course as it will). But if you win and succeed and things go well, then you feel pretty good. As opposed to going in thinking you'll win, or even thinking you have a chance, you'll likely be disappointed more often than not. Set a low bar and you're pleased and content most of the time.
And as I've said, it's not like I'm not preparing. If anything I over-prepare, for every scenario from just going to the grocery store to backcountry adventuring to my future financial situation. But that way when things go bad like I expect, I'll be able to tread water at least for awhile before being consumed by the waves.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
When you have multiple $40k -$60k vehicles, live in a $500k house, $5 a gallon doesn't mean much to someone, especially when you compare prices to European countries where it is $5 per liter. That's not me, but I do work for oil and gas support, so I am kind of biased.

And lets hope the gub'ment doesn't do what was done in the '70's with the speed limit maxed at 55 mph. No matter what the limit is, there will always be those who will drive 5 - 10 mph faster.

It is. People bitch about Apple and other makers about the price of $2k for a phone, yet there are people that will wait in lines to get the latest model.
The argument about other country's paying higher gas prices doesn't hold water. In Australia where I lived for several years always had higher petrol prices compared to U.S. but they also have $20/hr min wage compared to our $8 min wage

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Why is my analogy about buying food out or phones not representative?

Also my truck is 2 years old with less than 11,000 miles and I run strictly a 93 octane tune and has been fabricated into something with the aerodynamics of a brick with 4 wheels, but I don't care about how other people drive. Are you going to lecture me about removing my performance tune and removing all my countless hours of hand made fabrication from my truck if I complain that current administration has royally fucked up?

Its not about politics, they are all shit-birds, every last one of them regardless of affiliation, its about calling a spade a spade.
Glad you got your opinion voiced and not deleted like mine was removed here for merely questioning the motives of this clown show of a WH admin

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you got your opinion voiced and not deleted like mine was removed here for merely questioning the motives of this clown show of a WH admin
I've had comments deleted in other threads. It happens. I'll keep my opinion to myself further on the matter. Their house, their rules, even if I think it was screwed up.
Sponsored