First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
Last week I went for a 185 mile round trip. Almost all on interstate highways.
Had wife in the truck, went to pickup new puppy at a shelter.

Now, I set cruise at 70 MPH and adaptive cruise on. Tach under 2k RPM unless a steeper grade.
I passed going down to shelter, three semi-trucks (going up hills) and one car. Coming back five semi-trucks on steep incline in Ozark mountains (No cars).
A lot of Semi-trucks passing me and cars running 75-80. Had to shut off adaptive cruise as drivers were coming around then moved over to quickly or wanted to fit into a smaller space. Adaptive cruise keep backing off from poor drivers moving over!

I know some of you are not going to like what I about to say but here goes.
I'm fed up with people complaing about high gas prices when they don't give a hoot about trying to save. Just keep feeding the oil companies!
Semi-trucks running 75-80, cars, darting in and out of lanes on highway. Checking out how fast they an go from stop light to stop light or 0-60.

OIl companies love us!!

Oi
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I have been quea

Now, I set cruise at 70 MPH and adaptive cruise on. Tach under 2k RPM unless a steeper grade.
I passed going down to shelter, three semi-trucks (going up hills) and one car. Coming back five semi-trucks on steep incline in Ozark mountains (No cars).
A lot of Semi-trucks passing me and cars running 75-80. Had to shut off adaptive cruise as drivers were coming around then moved over to quickly or wanted to fit into a smaller space. Adaptive cruise keep backing off from poor drivers moving over!

I'm fed up with people complaing about high gas prices when they don't give a hoot about trying to save. Just keep feeding the oil companies!
Semi-trucks running 75-80, cars, darting in and out of lanes on highway. Checking out how fast they an go from stop light to stop light or 0-60.

OIl companies love us!!

Oi
I have been noticing this, too. For all the complaining about gas prices, people sure don't seem to care when they are driving. And you would think trucking companies would be telling drivers to slow down as well. I remember just a few years, they were giving fuel mileage bonuses.

OP
OP
fob63

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
No hypermiling from me!:devil:
I don’t think I was hypermiling?
I wasn’t doing 60 had A/C temp turned up coasting, etc.
Difference between 70 and 80 is about 10% more consumption. No cruise and weaving in and out of traffic and so on that cuts MPG down.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Even when it was $1.40 a few years ago I drove slower. Well it felt less bad to get on it and let the 4.6 sing. Sounded great, went no where.

I noticed that last week on my trip to northern California. Seen almost $8 a gallon and people were hauling ass. I was going 70 in a 65 and people were doing 90. Guess they make more money than I do.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

OIl companies love us!!

Oi
This is like complaining that you still see people eating out, or still buying new iPhones.

Posts comes off as a closet "Leave my president alone!" call out.

Oh and Boomer Thread (tm).

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Even when it was $1.40 a few years ago I drove slower. Well it felt less bad to get on it and let the 4.6 sing. Sounded great, went no where.

I noticed that last week on my trip to northern California. Seen almost $8 a gallon and people were hauling ass. I was going 70 in a 65 and people were doing 90. Guess they make more money than I do.

Lets put things in perspective; a cop in CA can have a starting salary of $100,000. Here in GA I make about half that with some decent OT for the year. 93 is $5.00 a gallon here, funny how that works.

However, my fun money is not generated from job thank god.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious what these side jobs are.

Are you a mall cop after hours??
Same as anyone else who is not inherently rich. Investing.

I didn't get into police work for the money. lol

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I made the same observation the other day when I told the wife, "it doesn't look like gas is 5 bucks a gallon with so many cars on the road". I think many people are just slow to react. The price of gas, and the rate of inflation will catch up with those people shortly. Until then it's "balls to wall boys".

OP
OP
fob63

fob63

First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
retired
This is like complaining that you still see people eating out, or still buying new iPhones.

Posts comes off as a closet "Leave my president alone!" call out.

Oh and Boomer Thread (tm).
I don't believe this about politics! This is about helping to cut the cost for short term supply/demand.
Your analogy of eating out or buying a new Iphone isn't very representive.
Oh yes, I'm retired not ever had to ask for handout! Paid taxes for over 59 years and still paying.
We will see you in a few decades with thick glasses and hearing aids.

By the way, My truck is 2 years old and my odometer reads 4,129.3 miles. So, the higher price of gas isn't killing me!

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Maybe when fuel costs exceed $10 a gallon drivers will slow down? I doubt it, but maybe when their credit card is maxed out and have to pay with real money they'll wake up..
When you have multiple $40k -$60k vehicles, live in a $500k house, $5 a gallon doesn't mean much to someone, especially when you compare prices to European countries where it is $5 per liter. That's not me, but I do work for oil and gas support, so I am kind of biased.

And lets hope the gub'ment doesn't do what was done in the '70's with the speed limit maxed at 55 mph. No matter what the limit is, there will always be those who will drive 5 - 10 mph faster.

I don't believe this about politics! This is about helping to cut the cost for short term supply/demand.
Your analogy of eating out or buying a new Iphone isn't very representive.
Oh yes, I'm retired not ever had to ask for handout! Paid taxes for over 59 years and still paying.
We will see you in a few decades with thick glasses and hearing aids.

By the way, My truck is 2 years old and my odometer reads 4,129.3 miles. So, the higher price of gas isn't killing me!
It is. People bitch about Apple and other makers about the price of $2k for a phone, yet there are people that will wait in lines to get the latest model.
Sponsored