Road trip and tires

RangerRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ranger Tremor
Question for all you experienced road trip folks. Is there any need to take a break for the tires? What I mean is, if I wanted to drive 500-600 miles per day during these summer temps, could that have any adverse impact on the tires? I know the pressure rises to a point as one drives, but does that increase chances of a catastrophic tire failure?
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Question for all you experienced road trip folks. Is there any need to take a break for the tires? What I mean is, if I wanted to drive 500-600 miles per day during these summer temps, could that have any adverse impact on the tires? I know the pressure rises to a point as one drives, but does that increase chances of a catastrophic tire failure?
Properly inflated tires, under typical driving conditions won't be adversely affected by high mileage trips.

Keep them under the max pressure, load, & speed, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
If you run the recommended pressure as indicated on the door jamb, it is unlikely you would ever exceed the max air rating for the tires due to heat. I personally wouldn’t worry about the need to rest the tires.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
First, the only time you have to worry about heat buildup in a tire is if their under inflated, or seriously over inflated. An under inflated tire will build up interior heat very quickly. A over inflated tire will also build up heat, normally, which could increase the max psi rating of the tire...if your running 60 psi in a tire with a 50 psi max rating, the extra heat build up could push that 60 psi much higher.
If you follow the psi recommendations on your door jam, you should never have a problem.
Also, if you read the info on the sidewall of your tires, you will see a maximum psi you can run.
My stock 2 wheel drive has the stock Bridgestone Duelers with a sticker recommendation of 35 psi. But the sidewall has a maximum of 51 psi., and that is what you can put in a cold tire. Even at 51 psi the manufacture has determined that there is still room for heat build up, so there is a "safety margin" built in.
Running your Ranger, even with a light load, will never heat the tires to the point where you have to worry.
Heavily loaded, you can inflate an extra 5-10 psi, and still never have to worry. When I tow our travel trailer, with a load and 700 lb tongue weight, I run 45 psi in the rear, and they never heat up more than a few psi. The extra 5-10 psi will not harm or overheat your tires.
I'm sure your Tremor has different psi ratings on the doorjamb and tire sidewall...follow them and you'll never have a problem with heat buildup.

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i do see a lot more blow outs and gators on the road here in summer. just check your tire pressure on the dash once in a while. if you see the numbers climb more than about 8 psi on a tire once its been warmed up then check it out. cant hurt anything to drive just a bit slower also, maybe get a few more miles out a gallon too. think of it as being more careful not so much for your tires but going slower knowing that stupid people are every where and many never check tires etc. and they will have a nasty blow out that could end up involving you .

OP
OP
RangerRock

RangerRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ranger Tremor
Thank you everyone for the informative responses, once again this group has shown that they're a great resource!
Sponsored